Tuesday, December 16
Progress Reports and Translation
Here's the News
Good job working today! Some of you heeded my advice and really churned out the work. I am impressed by all of you who are already well into Chapter 17. Keep it up!
In addition, you are doing a really good job of communicating. Just remember, you only have to inform me about finishing work if it has a zero. If it does not have a zero, I can see it! :)
Check below for some other reminders!
Seriously. On the final, you will have to translate. I've been telling you this for AGES. Check out my 11-15 announcement on how to translate. Follow it. It will help. It will help more than you think. Yeah, you might take a little longer, but you will be much more correct!
In Chapter 15, father Lucius takes the boys to the farm. I keep seeing the same mistakes over and over and over again. So let me sum this up for you: Mother agrees to let them go because Lucia is sick and they are disturbing her. They drive for a long time. A vilicus is the overseer of the farm. He greets them. Then he shows father and the boys around the farm. Father sees all kinds of things from grain to animals. Then he chooses two animals for a sacrifice. Bam. That's the story.
In Chapter 17, Lucia gets married. The verb that you will see as "dabit" means "will give". Get that right. The story discusses Roman wedding traditions. A girl's family would give the groom a dowry (dotem), which was something valuable--anything from cows to money to jewels--as a kind of "thank you" for taking their daughter off their hands. A woman could remarry if her husband died or divorced her. He might divorce her if she couldn't have kids or if she was unfaithful. Please ready carefully!
- So today you need to focus on getting work done, passing work, and turning it in.
- Many of you who need to work the most are not.
- If I tell you to redo something you failed, it is not a suggestion. I may put it politely, but I expect you to redo it and to redo it fast.
- I will be filing progress reports before 2pm.
- I will have live class on Wednesday night at 7pm. I will be discussing anything you come to me with questions about.