February 14, 2021
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15TH
TCS to Cancel Classes and Activities for Monday
The Tuscaloosa City Schools will close schools and offices for Monday, February 15, 2021 due to winter weather predictions for the area. This means that there will be no virtual instruction or extracurricular activities, like sports practices, on Monday.
Please continue to be weather aware and stay turned to TCS social media and local media for additional updates regarding Tuesday.
We want to thank you for your continued support of our faculty, staff, students, and administrators this year. Your eagerness to be available to teachers and provide them with support is sincerely appreciated. Each person's success is another person's success when we all work together.
“Be present in all things and thankful for all things.” - Maya Angelou
Please see the following items below. We ask that you review these with our students as we continue to work as a Team/NMS family to keep everyone safe.
1. STUDENTS WHO ARE SICK
When quarantined, please follow the ADPH guidelines of quarantine. https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/news/2020/12/11.html
Isolation and quarantine are public health practices used to protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.
- Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
- Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick. These people may have been exposed to a disease and do not know it, or they may have the disease but do not show symptoms.
2. FACE MASKS
Please take time today to review this with your student.
These are all safety issues for everyone involved. Bus drivers should be able to focus on the road so that students are safe while on the bus. Because of these behaviors, we are being forced to suspend bus privileges for students who engage in them.
Parents, please help us keep our students and drivers safe by reviewing expected behaviors when riding a school bus.
4. GENERAL BEHAVIOR
- Use of Cell Phones - Students are not allowed to use cell phones during the school day. This includes texting family members and friends. (Page 12 and 13 in the TCS Code of Conduct), We are beginning to address this with a disciplinary response.
- Air Pods, Headphones, and Earbuds - Students are allowed to use for instructional purposes only.
- Hoodies - Students are NOT allowed to wear HOODIES over the head while on school campus. This is increasingly becoming a problem and is a Safety Issue. We must be able to tell who is in the building at all times. Please refer to the dress code found in the TCS Code of Conduct, page 19. We are beginning to address this with a disciplinary response.
- Pants below the Bottom - This is NOT allowed. We are beginning to address this with a disciplinary response. Please refer to the dress code found in the TCS Code of Conduct, page 19.
- Students in the restroom playing during class - Please review expectations with your student as it relates to using the restroom during class and between classes. We are seeing students playing around, using their cell phones, taking selfies, and creating messes instead of utilizing the restroom for the requested purpose. We are beginning to address this with a disciplinary response.
5. CAR POOL AND PARKING LOT
- Car riders are required to exit and enter the vehicle through the car pool line ONLY.
- Students are NOT allowed in the parking lot for drop off or pick up unless approved by administration.
- Students are NOT allowed to go to the road behind NMS or in the baseball/softball parking lot of NHS. We can't monitor those areas for safety.
- Drivers should follow the guidance of personnel when in the car pool line. Do not leave if the sign reads STOP. Students might walk in front of a car they are not expecting to move.