Issue 10: June 2021
It is hard to believe that we have finished another school year, and what a challenging year it has been. Our scholars have been flexible, resilient, and adaptable this school year. They have all learned new technology, found different ways of learning and engaged in many new opportunities. We should be so proud of them!
We look forward to having many students join us for summer learning and are excited to welcome all students back in the building in the fall!
I want to thank you for trusting us with your child's education at Fridley Middle School and for your partnership. I hope you have a restful and safe summer.
In Person Learners
Tuesday, June 8th:
Students will turn in their chromebooks in their last class on Tuesday, June 8.
Online Academy Learners
Week of June 7th:
As students complete their Edgenuity work, they may drop off their chromebook, charger and bag to the main office.
Students with hotspots: Drop off with chromebook
Friday, June 11th
Students may return Chromebooks in the front drop off loop from 12:00 - 5:00 if they were not returned before this time.
Please be sure to return Chromebook, Charger and Carrying Bag.
Dates to Know!
Tuesday, June 8: Chromebook Return for In Person Learners
Thursday, June 10: Last Day of School
8th Grade Party at Commons Park
Friday, June 11: Chromebook Return for Distance Learners
The Fridley Public Schools Annual Resource Fair will be held on Saturday, August 21st from 10:30am-12:30pm at Fridley High School. Highlights of the resource fair include backpacks and school supplies, resource tables, school registration information, and community vendors. All Fridley families are welcome!
The Fridley Middle School Open House will be held on Thursday, September 2, from 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. at Fridley Middle School.
Congratulations 8th Graders!
We hope most of our 8th graders, distance and hybrid, will be able to join in the fun at the 8th grade party on June 10 from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. at Commons Park. We will have certificates, swag bags and treats! This event is for students only.
Due to COVID restrictions, we will not be hosting a formal recognition ceremony and instead we will celebrate our 8th graders at the park on June 10th.
6th Grade News
Thank you to everyone for coming to the Science Inventors Fair! A huge congratulations to all of our hardworking scholars on completing this project and a special shout-out to our 10 winners listed below:
We are so appreciative of all of the support this year and we can’t wait to see all of the ways the 6th graders grow and succeed in 7th grade! WAY TO GO 6th GRADERS!
Fridley On-Line Academy Students of the Month
Every month students are awarded Student of the Month by their teacher for showing our IB Learner Profile Traits and showing GRIT. Congratulations to all our April Student of the Month award recipients!
Valentin Chino Hidalgo
Our last day of Distance Academy meal pick up will be:
Fridley High School:
Date: June 1
Time: 4:30-6:00 pm
Location: Door #15
Will receive 7 days of breakfast and lunch and 5 days of snack
Fridley Middle School:
Date: June 2
Time: 10:15-11:45 am
Location: Main entrance
Will receive 6 days of breakfast and lunch and 3 days of snack
Fridley Public Schools will be offering free summer meals to children ages 1-18
We will be offering 1 day meal bags Monday-Thursday. On Thursday we will also be distributing 3 days’ worth of cold weekend meals when you pick up the hot meal at both locations.
Fridley Middle School, 6100 West Moore Lake Drive
Dates: June 14 – August 19
Pick Up Time: 11:00 am – 11:45 am
Pick Up Location: Main Entrance
Stevenson Elementary School, 6080 East River Road
Dates: June 21 – July 29
Pick Up Time: 11:00 am – 12:00 pm
Pick Up Location: Main Entrance
Free Nutritious Meals For Kids 18 And Under Only a click away
How it works:
- Download the Free Meals for Kids app to your cell phone.
- Use the app to find the nearest site providing meals and meal packs by GPS.
- Click on the nearby site and use the Meals Updates tab for more details.
- Share the app with friends, neighbors and on social media.
Free Meals for Kids can be downloaded at Apple or Google Play app stores. There are free meal sites across the state at schools and community locations. The app provides location, directions to the site and hours and days of distribution. More sites are added daily. For more information: www.hungerimpactpartners.org. Additional resources: Call the 2-1-1 Hotline, text COVID to 898211 or text “Summer Meals” to 97779, Spanish speakers, text “Verano” to 97779.
Online Academy 2021-2022 School Year Registration
We need to find out if there is enough interest to pursue creating the Academy. Online Academey will be offered for students entering 7th - 12th Grade.
If there is not enough interest, we will modify our Online Academy offering.
Registering now doesn’t mean you must join the Online Academy, it merely means that you are interested and want to learn the expectations and requirements.
Please register your interest by June 4.
We will contact you in June to complete the signup process for the Online Academy.
At that time, we will inform you how the Academy is set up and what expectations there are for students. You can choose to stay in the in-person model of Fridley Schools or to sign up for the Online Academy.
Click here for more information or call the main office at 763.502.5400.
Transportation for the 2021-2022 School Year
The Transportation Department is already planning for bus transportation routing for the 2021-22 school year. As we prepare for a new school year, we want to share the following reminders with families:
- Any 2020-2021 transportation requests for home, alternate address, or daycare will be honored and maintained during the 2021-22 school year.
- If you did not request transportation this school year and wish to have transportation for your child for the 2021-2022 school year, please submit a Click here to complete the Transportation Request Form.
- You can also submit the Transportation Request Form if you want to switch your child’s transportation from a daycare/alternate address to your home.
- In addition, if your child/children have switched daycare, or your child/children need a stop at an alternate address (within the Fridley School District boundaries), please complete the Transportation Request Other Than Home Form. You may include all siblings who will be riding a bus in the "Comments" section of the form.
- In late summer you will receive a message that the transportation information is set for the first day of school. Once you receive this notification, please log into your Parent/Student portal to access your information.
- If you move, change phone number or email please let us know so we can update your new contact information.
The Transportation Department is available all summer so please call or email us if you have questions, or any changes in your transportation needs.
FRIDLEY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Phone: 763-502-5151 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Health Office News
COVID-19 alert: Common question
Should children get their routine vaccinations during COVID-19?
*Children who are not protected by vaccines may be more likely to get diseases like measles and whooping cough. As communities continues to open up, it's important for parents to work with their children's doctor or nurse to make sure their children stay up to date on routine vaccines.
“To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe." As a school, we are required to collect school immunizations on each student. Please connect with your child’s clinic for reassurance that it is safe to return to your clinic for vaccinations and well-child check. Per our district policy, all immunizations must be current. Please call the health office at (763-502-5426) if you have questions.
6th grade students will need Meningococcal and TDap vaccine as a requirement for starting 7th grade. Letters are being mailed to all students who are in need of the shots.
Opportunity for 8th Graders Transitioning to 9th Grade
Fridley Public Schools is excited to announce a new opportunity for next year’s 9th graders: Fridley High School Welcome Week! This opportunity is open to ALL current 8th graders who will be attending Fridley High School next year.
Welcome Week will happen the week of August 23rd-27th from 10am to 3pm at Fridley High School. 9th grade students will get an introduction to the high school, meet current FHS staff and students, take part in college and career readiness lessons, and get the chance to visit and tour college campuses in the Twin Cities.
If you are interested in having your 8th grader attend Fridley High School Welcome Week, please complete the interest survey form.
Summer Fitness Program - Speed and Strength Training
WHO: We welcome all student athletes entering grades 7-12 (2021-2022) ALL ABILITY LEVELS!
WHAT: The program consists of daily warm-ups, lifting weights, agility drills, conditioning, and other fitness activities.
WHERE: Fridley High School. Weight Room and outdoor spaces.
COST: $75 for the Summer Session ($25 for free and reduced lunch students)
WHEN: Starts on June 14th - Ends on July 29th.
Sessions are Monday–Thursday, no Fridays
No sessions the week of July 5-9th
Session 1 8:00am-10:00am
Session 2 10:00am-12:00pm
Participants can register for either session.
Each session will be divided into 3 groups:
Boys entering 9-12, Girls Entering 7-12, Boys 7 & 8
SIGN UP: Infinite Campus Parent or Student Portal
CLICK ON SCHOOL STORE in the Menu.
Then click Shop for your school.
If you need help using Campus, please contact email@example.com
or call Sue at 763-502-5606
If you have any questions, please contact Coach Trevor Hess:
Tiger Club Summer Program
Are you looking for a summer program that will keep your kids entertained, challenged and moving all summer long? We are currently enrolling new students to join our Tiger Club Childcare Summer 2021 program! (For children ENTERING grades K-6)
This year’s Summer 2021 theme is: It’s a Global Getaway Summer! We provide lesson plans of summer theme “getaway” units, where students will learn and explore: Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, South America/Central America! In addition, Tiger Club provides daily activities for students, surrounding art, literacy, math and science, as well as daily gym/playground time, creative and guided group activities, weekly open swim, plus much more!
Tiger Club will continue to follow all CDC and Minnesota Departments of Health and Education COVID-19 guidance for Childcare providers.
- Children and staff will be placed in consistent groups (or pods)
- Masking, social distancing, cleaning and health screening procedures in place
- Field trips will be limited to outdoor locations and on-site presenters
- All Aquatics and Transportation department prevention guidance met
Summer 2021 Tiger Club information:
- Days & Dates: Monday through Friday; June 21 - August 27
*CLOSED JULY 5
- Hours of operation: 6:30 a.m to 5:30 p.m.
- Registration fee: $25 per child, required at time of registration. (Non-Refundable)
- Schedule Options & Tuition Rates: Consistent weekly set schedules, Registration is for entire summer, No vacation credits. *We accept County Childcare Assistance Program (CCAP)
- 5-day / Monday-Friday / $230 per week
- 4-day / Monday-Thursday / $184 per week
- 3-day / Tuesday-Thursday / $138 per week
- Tuition Includes: All daily activities & meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Snack)
- Escorting to/from Summer Activities: Tiger Club staff will escort children to and from FPS Learning Academy (bus provided for elementary age) and Fridley Youth Enrichment activities within walking distance from the Fridley Community Center that are scheduled during their time with us. It is parent/guardian responsibility to communicate enrollments in these programs with Tiger Club so that coordination or care and safety measures can be in place.
- Registration: New registration is required every summer regardless of school year attendance.
Families can register online at: https://fridley.ce.eleyo.com
To begin the first week of summer, registration deadline is May 28, 2021
Classroom schedules, menus, and special events calendar will be available as summer start approaches
- For information or questions regarding Tiger Club Summer contact:
Jordan Wright (Tiger Club Secretary) at 763-502-5107 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Information Regarding Campus Parent Portal Accounts
Beginning the 2021-2022 school year, all parents/guardians will need to have a Parent Portal account in Campus. The Parent Portal provides secure access to your child/children’s information such as class assignments, attendance, calendar, and grades. You can also use Parent Portal to pay for meals, fees, or school supplies.
There are many advantages of signing up for and using your Parent Portal account. It is convenient and easy to use, and gives you instant access to important information:
Nutritional Services: Manage your child/children’s meal accounts
· Make online payments using checking, savings and/or credit/debit card to pay for your student’s meals.
· Families can also set up automatic payments to pay for meals.
· Check current balances and see any purchases made on your child’s account.
Meal Benefits Application: Annual renewal is now easier
· Apply for Meal Benefits Application in Parent Portal
· Parents/Guardians must apply each year to qualify for free and reduced priced meals.
· By applying, you also help the district receive additional funding to support classroom learning.
Activities & Athletics & School Store: Now includes shopping for school supplies
· Sign up and pay for Activities and Athletics fees for your child
· View and shop for your child/children’s school supplies
Transportation: Access important updates and information
· Access your child/children’s transportation information on the Parent Portal.
The district will be sending parents/guardians additional information soon on how to sign up for or reactivate Parent Portal accounts.