Welcome to the BHS Express
A newsletter keeping you informed about Batavia High School
November 4, 2022
Andrea Conner, BHS Principal
Hello Bulldog Families.
Time sure flies when we are busy! It’s already November, and the school year is moving along quickly.
We are three weeks into the second quarter and with the Thanksgiving break coming up, we only have about five and a half weeks until the end of the semester. As a reminder, this is important from a high school perspective as students are earning credits that must accumulate for high school graduation. Some of your student’s classes may be semester classes and will be finished on December 21. Also, it means year-long classes will be halfway through. If your students are in need of support, please reach out to their teachers. We are here to help!
Our high school PTO meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 9 at 7:00 p.m. in the library. Please consider joining and being a part of some of the supportive work the members are doing! The PTO will be running a fundraiser throughout the month of November. The money raised will go towards providing rewards for our students while expressing appreciation for our teachers. Thank you for supporting this effort!
The high school staff was able to participate in the “topping off” ceremony for the new high school. They were given the opportunity to sign a beam that will be placed in the new building and to always remember they were a part of something special for the district and the community. We continue to watch the building quickly change, and the transition is starting to feel more real!
Don’t forget to swing by the Spaghetti Dinner and Donkey Basketball on Saturday! We would enjoy seeing you there!
In service to our Bulldogs.
Andrea Conner, High School Principal
The New Batavia High School Building Reaches a New Milestone
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
As the weather is starting to fluctuate outside, so does the high school building. Please make sure your student is dressing in layers as we can’t guarantee consistent temperatures throughout. We are seeing an increase in students carrying blankets. Please encourage your students to keep them at home and wear a hoodie or sweatshirt.
2022 Yearbooks Distribution Information:
November 11: Second Pickup @ High School - Room 111 during 5D (12:12-12:42)
After/during November: Ship out the rest of the yearbooks
Substitutes will be allowed to pick up books for others provided they have written confirmation (an email from the graduate or an email to Mr. Mills from the graduate) or verbal confirmation (graduate indicates approval over the phone during pickup)
Wednesday, November 9, 2022. High School PTO Meeting - 7:00 p.m. in the High School Library.
UPCOMING IMPORTANT UPDATES
November 5, 2022: Batavia Rotary Spaghetti Dinner - 4:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. at Batavia Elementary School
- November 5, 2022: Donkey Basketball at Batavia High School - 7:00 p.m.
- November 8, 2022: Election Day. No School for Students
- November 9 - 30, 2022: PTO Texas Roadhouse Fundraiser; students in the winning 5th period receive an ice cream party
- November 18, 2022: Senior Portrait Makeup Day - 8:00 a.m.
- November 22, 2022: Last day before Thanksgiving break
- November 28, 2022: Student first day after Thanksgiving break
- December 7, 2022: HS Choir Concert at Batavia Elementary - 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m.
- December 12, 2022: HS Band Concert at Batavia High School - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
- December 22 - January 2, 2023: Winter Break
- January 3, 2023: First Day of Quarter 3
INFORMATION FROM THE BHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Check out the Batavia High School Guidance Counselor website.
Your Guidance Counselors are:
9th - 12th Grade Counselor A-L
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7037
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7036
- Remember, students have to enter to win. Everyone is busy and applying for scholarships is time consuming, but keep these tips in mind:
- If you spend an hour filling out 10 scholarship applications and you get ONE for $1,000, that is an excellent hourly rate!
- Keep copies of your essays on your computer, flash drive, google drive. You may be able to use them on several applications. Be sure to proofread. You do not want to send an essay for one scholarship with the name of a different scholarship in it.
- Be sure to follow all instructions carefully, complete the applications neatly, and be sure to send them at least a week before the printed deadline.
- Ask a parent, teacher, counselor, or another trusted adult to review the scholarship application before you send it. You want it to be as perfect as possible. They may catch something you have missed or need to correct.
- Keep a copy of every scholarship application you send. Keep organized files for future reference.
- Apply for as many scholarships as you can! We hear each year about the “millions of dollars worth of unclaimed scholarships.” Guess why? NOBODY APPLIES FOR THEM!
- Make your part-time job this year to apply for scholarships. It is an investment that will pay!
This scholarship list has been shared with all students in the class of 2023 and is updated monthly. Please ensure any senior checks-in regularly for new opportunities! For some scholarship eligibility, you are required to have submitted the FAFSA, here is the link to begin the FAFSA application process: Roles | FAFSA Application | Federal Student Aid
Any senior student that is in the process of applying to colleges must remember to complete a transcript request in Naviance. Here is a link that explains how student go about adding this request: Naviance Transcript Request
Check in with Mrs. Grooms or Mrs. Poling if you have any questions about this process, we are here to help!
BATAVIA HIGH SCHOOL OFFICE CONTACTS
513-732-2341, ext. 7051
Matt Buis, Assistant Principal
513-732-2341, ext. 7052
Melissa Anstaett, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7055
Edie Strine, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7054
If your student is absent, call
513-732-2341 and leave a message on the attendance line