Assessing in the Classroom
Strategies for Gifted Learners - Fall 2016
- Determine the differences: pre-assessment, formative, summative
- How assessments impact gifted students
- Determine when it is appropriate to use each type with gifted students and how to manage the assessments
- Learn new assessment procedures through hands-on learning
- How assessments impact your teaching field
What is Formative Assessment?
- It gives teachers information to drive instruction.
- Formative assessments provide ongoing feedback.
- It helps students identify their strengths and weaknesses.
- Formative assessments can be quick & easy.
Technology Tools for Assessments
Use this padlet to introduce yourself to the group. Include your name, what you teach, where you teach, how long you have been in education, and your favorite place to vacation. Include a picture or video of your vacation spot.
Read Assessment Through the Student's Eyes and add a point to ponder to your padlet.
15 Graphic Organizer Backgrounds for Padlet and iPad by Tech Chef 4 U (Lisa Johnson)
Read Seven Practices for Effective Learning.
Go to socrative.com.
Socrative also has an App for most devices!
Read The Best Value in Formative Assessment.
Enter this code, FPPW376, at http://goformative.com/join and click Go.
Click Continue Without Logging In at the bottom of the screen.
Enter your first and last name; click Begin.
Answer the questions. Submit.
More Tech Apps for Assessment
Assessment Tools Using 1 Computer or Device
Flippity allows users to create an online Jeopardy-style game show quiz.
Click here for easy directions on how to create a Flippity Game Show Quiz. You can post a picture in the game board by copying the image URL and pasting it in the appropriate cell.
Flippity also has a flashcard module that uses Google Spreadsheets to build the cards.
Flipquiz is a Jeopardy-style game that is great for reviewing information. Divide your class into two teams and start playing! Flipquiz is ideal for interactive whiteboards, but it will work with a computer and a projector.
- 35 Digital Tools to Create Simple Quizzes And Collect Feedback from Students
- Seven Good Student Response Systems That Work On All Devices
- Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment
- Beyond Exit Tickets: 11 Fresh Formative Assessment Strategies
Using backchannels is another way to keep an eye on student learning. For more ideas on backchannels, visit 10 Ways to Use Backchannels in Your Classroom.
Giving your students feedback is imperative to their learning. Here are five tools for giving narrative feedback.
Wrapping up the Course
Complete this Google form by October 28.
In addition to questions from the Rick Wormeli video, you'll need to consider the assessment techniques from this Smore that are new to you that you plan on implementing in your class.