Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - March 12, 2021
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from North Administrators
Mark Your Calendar
Summer Courses Enrollment
Senior Class of 2021
Class of 2023 Fundraiser at Panda Express
Dance Team Tryouts
Mustang Medical Messages
Auxiliary Gym Construction Info
Durham Contact Info
Parent Booster Club Spirit Wear Sale
A Letter from North Administrators
We are extremely excited to have all of our In-Person students back together for the 4th Quarter! Please read the following updates as we transition away from the hybrid learning mode.
May 28th: Last day of the school year
Blue Valley Schools has determined the last day for students in grades K-11 will be a half-day on Friday, May 28, assuming there are no unforeseen circumstances causing us to cancel school. Underclassmen Finals will be full-days on Wednesday, May 26; Thursday, May 27; and a half-day on Friday, May 28. Senior Finals will be May 18-20, and will also be full school days.
Adjustment to High School Start and End Times Due to Inclement Weather Days
To put the district in the best position to meet state requirements and end the school year by Memorial Day, high school start and end times will be adjusted for the fourth quarter.
- Five minutes will be added to the beginning and end of the high school day beginning March 23.
- Odd days: 7:40 a.m. - 2:55 p.m.
- Even days: 8:25 a.m. - 2:55 p.m.
- Durham School Services will share updated pick-up and drop-off times by March 22.
- Our Bell Schedule will be:
HOUR 1: 7:40-9:08
HOUR 3: 9:13-10:41
ACADEMIC SUPPORT: 10:41-11:12
HOUR 5 & LUNCH: 11:17-1:22
HOUR 7: 1:27-2:55
HOUR 2: 8:25-9:53
ACADEMIC SUPPORT: 9:53-10:15
HOUR 4 & LUNCH: 10:20-12:20
ACADEMIC SUPPORT: 12:25-1:22
HOUR 6: 1:27-2:55
Only students who are in quarantine due to COVID-19 will have access to Zoom for their classes. Teachers will work with quarantined students to determine if the planned lesson for the day is best delivered asynchronously or allow connection for students in isolation for a certain time frame of the class. Students absent for other reasons will not have the Zoom option and will work with their teachers on what was missed as we have always done in the past. As always, Canvas will be used by teachers regarding daily work expectations.
Student parking will be more congested in the 4th Quarter due to increased amount of students as well as our new Auxiliary Gym construction. While spots are taken up by construction, students will be allowed to park in our Visitor’s Lot. THIS IS ONLY FOR THE REMAINDER OF THIS SCHOOL YEAR SINCE VISITORS ARE STILL NOT ALLOWED IN THE BUILDING. Students should still NOT park in areas designated for staff and will be ticketed if they do so.
Remember that we are still not allowing parents to drop off food for students. We will continue to operate with 11 lunch shifts in order for students to eat only two per lunch table. Additional bleachers will be available in the gym to allow for greater numbers to social distance while eating.
We are so grateful to have our Mustangs back in the stable. In order for this to happen we must continue to adhere to all risk mitigation strategies such as mask wearing. Thank you for your ongoing cooperation this year!
Mark Your Calendar
March 12 - LAST DAY for Hybrid Schedule for In-Person Students
March 15-19 - No School/Spring Break
March 22 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
March 23 - All students who chose In-person classes will come to school full-time, everyday
April 23 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
May 23 - Graduation at 4:00 p.m. at the SWIDAC
NEW INFO for the end of the school year:
May 26- ODD Day--Students attend class in Hours 1 & 3, High School Finals in Hours 5 & 7
May 27- EVEN Day--High School Finals in Hours 2, 4 & 6
May 28 - HALF Day--High School Finals in Hours 1 & 3--Last day of School
May 31 - Memorial Day
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Click here for the revised 2020-21 Blue Valley School District Calendar.
For guaranteed entry, all KSHSAA Class 6A State Basketball Championship tickets must be purchased in advance, online through the Wichita State University website. Below is the custom link assigned specifically to your school for the upcoming championship game on March 13.
Please note the following:
- Your school has been allotted 1200 total tickets for purchase through this link for the championship game on March 13. Tickets will be available via this code 9:00 PM on March 11 until 5:00 PM on March 12. Then they will be open to the public
- Purchase deadline: 5:00 PM - After the deadline this link can no longer be used to purchase tickets. Any unsold tickets will be made available for purchase on the WSU website to the general public.
- Fans purchasing a ticket are agreeing to wear a mask throughout the event.
Counseling, Academics & Testing (new)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage
for information about:
- The BVN senior scholarship list is growing! Our list can be found on Naviance under Colleges->Scholarships and Money->Scholarship List
- 2nd Semester Schedule Change Requests (drops to a Study Hall only)
- Seniors with colleges requesting a mid-year transcript, see Request Form here - Senior College Application Information
- Junior College Planning
- Sophomore Naviance Tasks
- Freshman Naviance Tasks
- AP Test Information and Deadlines
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room!
- COVID Anxiety Support
- Virtual Counselor Appointments
Questions? Contact Theresa Gonzalez @ (913)239-3016 or email@example.com .
Enrollment for Virtual Summer Courses is Open until March 29
Enrollment for Blue Valley summer programs opens March 8 and closes at 4 p.m. on March 29. These programs include virtual courses for credit, as well as a section of Design Fundamentals. The district will continue to employ appropriate COVID-19 mitigation practices for any in-person summer programs for safe learning environments. Additional information about the summer explorations programs can be found online at www.bluevalleyk12.org/summerprograms.
Senior Info for Class of 2021
Save the date for our graduation ceremonies at the District Activity Complex, 13310 Switzer, in Overland Park on Sunday, May 23, at 4 p.m. with a rain date of Tuesday, May 25, at 8 p.m. We will provide more detailed information, including any attendance guidelines, as we near graduation.
Click SENIOR INFO for links to:
- A countdown to graduation! Only 71 more days . . .
- Purchase your Senior Class Photo
- Audition for celebration speeches
- An info video from Balfour about how to order your cap & gown--less than 40 seniors still need to do this!
- Authorize the release of your student's transcript when he or she applies to colleges
- and more . . .
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
Course Fee Payment is Open
The student elective fees have been posted on the student accounts; check ParentVue for the electives' charges. Payments were due on 2/12/2021 so please make sure this is paid. Your ParentVUE login and password are required to pay course fees. Here is a link to ParentVue: online now.
Questions regarding fee payment should be directed to our BVN Bookkeeper, Linda Kaphingst, email: email@example.com .
Report Student Absences via ParentVue
Did you know you can report your student's absence in ParentVue? This is an easy, efficient way! Once you sign into ParentVue, you will see your student's name and a blue button titled "Report Absence." It takes you to a screen where you can select the start date and end date and the reason code. There is also a box titled "Note" for additional information. Don't forget to hit the "Save" button. If you have questions, please call Rita Mouber, BVN Attendance Manager, 913-239-3001.
You can still call Rita Mouber, 913-239-3001, to report an absence. If no one answers, she's talking to another parent so please leave a message. Rest assured, Rita will get your student's absence recorded.
Panda Express Fundraiser for the Class of 2023 on March 26
- Friday, March 26th from 10:30 AM to 9:30 PM
- Panda Express located at DEER CREEK SHOPPES
- 7352 West 135th St. Overland Park, KS 66224
- Store Phone Number: 913-814-9686
- If you are paying in-store, please show the bottom half of the flyer above or (click here) to get the flyer on your phone to show the cashier.
- If you are ordering online, please enter the Promo Code 323049 in the Promo/Coupon Code box during checkout at order.pandaexpress.com or in the Panda Express App.
- DO NOT use third-party apps like Grubhub/Doordash while checking out.
- Orders must be placed on Event Day so that 20% of the proceeds go towards the Class of 2023.
North Star Dance Team
Anyone interested in trying out for the North Stars Dance Team, please complete the tryout application form. There will be a parent and student meeting on Wednesday, March 31st at 7:00 PM via Zoom. Tryout Application Form
For additional information, please visit the North Stars website! Dance Website
FCA will be meeting on Wednesdays during North Time for 15 minutes via Zoom. Please email Jason Jones, FCA Sponsor, at JJones05@bluevalleyk12.org if you have questions.
BVN Class T-shirts Pickup at The Stampede
All Class Shirts are available for pick-up in The BVN Stampede School Store during hybrid business hours: Monday – Friday when school is in session for 15 minutes before school starts and 2:45 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. The store is also open during 5th hour on Odd days.
We have T-shirts for every grade: Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors.
BVN GSA (updated)
GSA will meet on Zoom after school on Wednesdays. For information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
KAY-Mustang Community Service Club
Join KAY-Mustang Community Service Club! We have an exciting community service project you can do from home. We are creating BVN Storytime, a read aloud library for K-2 students. We also have a couple of other service possibilities. Click this link to join the club. Click this link , then “enroll in Course” to see the Club’s Canvas page where club news and information is posted. Questions? Contact Club president Tanu @ email@example.com .
News from the BVN Library
The library website is now accessible from all Canvas pages. In the navigation list on the left side you should see Library. Or: Click here to visit the BVN Library website . From the library website, students and staff can now chat with the librarians during school hours. Look in the upper right corner. No question is too big or small!
Student Technology Help
On the Canvas Course card titled BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 there is student support information. After looking at the information in the BVN Student Hub, if you are struggling with technology, there is help.
- If your computer is broken please submit a BVCARE ticket and someone from I.T. will reach out to you. A link to BVCARE can be found on the BVN Student Hub or at www.bluevalleyk12.org / I would like to… / BVCARE- Technology help
- If you are having problems with a specific assignment or course in Canvas, always reach out to your teacher first.
- If you have questions about instructional tools (Canvas, Google Drive, Zoom…) or something is not working the way it should, there is a daily Student Help Zoom during North Time. To access this Zoom, open Canvas / Click on the BVN Student Hub 2020-2021 Course Card / Click on Zoom / Join anytime between 10:40-11:10am on Odd days, and between 12:25-1:20pm on Even days. If you are in the building and need help, you can bring your laptop to the library during North Time for tech help.
Meal Pick-Up Location Change Starting March 22 (New)
Starting on March 22 and going forward, we will offer meal pick-up at two locations only (Blue Valley High and Blue Valley Northwest). Meal pick-up will continue to be held from 11 a.m. to noon on Mondays and Wednesdays for virtual learners. You can find more information on this link Drive-Thru Meal Pick-Up web page .
Mustang Medical Messages
Planning any travel for Spring Break? 2-26-21 State Quarantine List.pdf
Consider looking over Kansas Travel Exposure Related Isolation & Quarantine Guidelines:
- Attended/traveled to mass gathering events out-of-state of 500 people or greater where individuals do not socially distance (6 feet) and wear masks.
- Been on a cruise ship or river cruise on or after March 15.
- Others needing to continue quarantining: Received notification from public health officials (state or local) that you are a close contact of a laboratory-confirmed case of COVID-19.
- International Travel: Please note that the CDC may have testing or quarantine requirements for individuals traveling back into the United States. Visit their web page for more information.
Free COVID Test resource:
The safety of Blue Valley North students and staff continues to be a top priority. In an effort to keep our school community informed when we have a positive case, families can expect the following:
Families will be contacted directly if through the contact tracing process conducted by the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) and the district's health professionals' team:
- your child was identified as a low-risk exposure of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- your child was identified as a high-risk exposure/close contact of a student or staff member who tested positive for COVID-19.
- If your child’s proximity to or nature of the interaction with the positive individual did not indicate a low or high-risk exposure, then you will not be contacted.
NOTE: Positive cases by school are reflected on the BV COVID Dashboard. The dashboard is updated every Friday with information from the prior week (Wednesday to Wednesday).
New Auxiliary Gym Construction: November through July
Durham Bus Riders
Durham has decided to not use the Hybrid stop times and instead only use the All in School stop times regardless of what learning mode the District is in. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492.
Note that it is best to call outside of route times, between 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
PBC Spring Spirit Wear Sale
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org . Thank you!