Culture and FUN Facts
Culture of Japan
- The theater, traditional arts, such as the tea ceremony and ikebana, live on as part of the everyday lives of Japanese people.
- Classical music, concerts are held all over the country.
- Japanese anime have been entertaining Japanese children since the 1960s.
- Literature, the works of modern authors like Murakami Haruki and Yoshimoto Banana are popular among Japanese and have been translated into many languages around the world.
- When eating from small bowls, it is correct manner to pick up the bowl with your hand and lead it close to your mouth when eating from it; however, larger types of dishes should generally not be picked up. When eating from shared dishes (as it is commonly done at some restaurants it is polite to use the opposite end of your chopsticks or dedicated serving chopsticks for moving food).
- In Japan it is illegal to dance after midnight, often times night clubs are raided by police and sometimes undercover agents to assure no one is dancing.
- The Japanese name for Japan is “Nihon” or “Nippon” which means “sun origin”.
- Japan is made up of 6,852 islands.
- Due to gases produced by power plants, Japan sometimes suffers from acid rain.
- Japan is a world leader in robotics. Japanese engineers are known for producing a range of human-like robots such as ASIMO.