The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - May 15, 2022
A note from Principal Welch
We blinked and we are in the middle of May. With just 5 weeks remaining in the school year, please know your child's attendance at school is even more important. If your child will be gone during the last stretch of school, please do make sure you are emailing our front office and your child's teacher.
As we continue to monitor the health and safety at Cottage Lake and beyond, we are seeing a rise in COVID cases. This week, we had 4 batches return positive. We also have positive cases outside of batch testing, as well. Please do monitor your student's health and if you are in need of home antigen tests, do reach out. We do have some tests we can give to you so you can test at home. Let's do everything we can to keep our sailors and families as healthy as we can.
There is a lot of important information below for you to read over. If you find yourself with questions, do reach out. I want to publically share a huge THANK YOU for all the appreciation you showed during our Staff Appreciation week last week. We felt the love. Thank you! Our auction was also a huge success and want to share a thank you to all those who bid and purchased items. We raised over $11,000 for Cottage Lake!! THANK YOU!
I hope we have a great week ahead.
~ Jennifer Welch, Principal
•• School News ••
OPTIONAL parent input placement form
If you are interested in completing this OPTIONAL parent input form for class placement and your child will be at Cottage Lake next year, please click on this link. Please note we do NOT accept specific requests for specific teachers.
Please respond no later than Tuesday, May 31, 2022.
Scholastic Book Fair is coming
Cottage Lake Summer Book Fair - June 3 - 8
Summer Reading is so important and Scholastic books are so fun. Let's help CL students get ready for a reading summer!
Friday, June 3 from 5:00-8:00 PM
- Festivities begin with our Grand Opening during the Cottage Lake Carnival
Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, June 6-8
- Students shopping at lunch recess
- After school hours are M & W until 5:00
- Tuesday - Late shopping for families (during the Kindergarten open house) and until 8:00 PM
Book Fair Volunteers are needed to make this event a success!
Please use this link to sign up for a shift or two.
End of year events
Below are some of our big end-of-year events.
- June 3 - PTA Spring Carnival, 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 - 2022-23 Kindergarten Open House, 5:00-6:00 PM
- June 13 - 5th grade party
- June 14 - Yearbook distribution
- June 15 - All-school Field Day, 2:15-3:45 PM
- June 16 - 5th grade Promotion event, 5:30-7:00 PM
- June 17 - Last Day of School! Dismissal at 11:35 AM
Book Swap Booth at CL Field Day - Elementary Books Wanted
Have you been going through your student's old books and wanting to find a good home for them? Please send them to the library or drop them off in the CL office any time between May 16 and June 13.
This year, we are bringing back our "book swap" event. This is a time when our students can come and take books they would like to read over the summer. The idea is our families/students donate books and then they can take some new books for them to enjoy.
This year, the event will take place during our school-wide Field Day.
Students will come by, choose a few books, put them in a labeled bag, then go to other stations. (No wet books!)
The books will be delivered to classrooms for taking home the next day, or may be picked up on the way home from Field Day.
THANK YOU CL FAMILIES!
*If you have not picked up your items, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time.
•• PTA News ••
End of Year school Carnival
Mark your calendars for our end-of-year School Carnival!
Date: Friday, June 3rd
Time: 5:30-8:00 PM
The Cottage Lake PTA is going all out for this year’s end-of-school event and will be throwing an EPIC carnival featuring classic carnival games, delicious food trucks, snow cones, popcorn, and much more! Save the date and stay tuned for more details.
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
Click the button above to learn more about YMCA before and after-school care at Cottage Lake during the 2022-2023 school year. Registration opens on May 2.
Field Day is coming!
Field Day is Wednesday, June 15 from 2:15-3:45 PM. This will be a whole-school event. We need many volunteers to run the stations and to help make this event a success. We will need volunteers a little longer than the event, so volunteer hours are 1:45-4:15 PM. A few examples of stations are: arm wrestling, water cup relay, and oversized clothes relay. All volunteers must complete our background check process and need to be fully vaccinated, as well.
If you can help, please follow the sign-up genius link below and sign up to help run a station. You will not need to prepare in any way - all supplies and game directions (if needed) will be given to you. Just show up, help set up, and have fun! Thank you for considering! Y
~ Your Field Day Committee - Mrs. Stookey & Mrs. Darling
Field Day volunteer sign-up
ATTN Grade 3-5 families - Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) testing schedule
This year, our testing will occur in May. It is VERY important that students are at school on a regular basis and that you avoid all appointments for your students on their testing days. There are guidelines for how long the test may take, but the test is not timed.
Please find your grade level's testing information below.
GRADE 3 (Castro & Kinney)
- May 9 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 13 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 18 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 24 - Math Assessment, Part 2
GRADE 4 (Rendahl & Sleister)
- May 3 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 12 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 17 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 26 - Math Assessment, Part 2
GRADE 4/5 & 5 (Dawson & Skinner)
- May 2 - ELA Assessment, Part 1
- May 5 - ELA Assessment, Part 2
- May 10 - Math Assessment, Part 1
- May 16 - Math Assessment, Part 2
- May 23 - Science Assessment
Kindergarten Registration is Open for the 2022-2023 school year!
Spread the word!! We want Kindergarten students!!
At this time, we have scheduled two, Kindergarten parent tours. These events are geared to adults. Our dates are:
- February 15, 4:30-5:30 PM
- March 22, 10:00-11:00 AM
Families interested in attending the Kindergarten tours do not need to register. We will have parents sign-in when you arrive on campus.
We are excited to welcome new families to Cottage Lake!
Child Sick or Change of Plans After School?
If you have a trip planned and are going to be gone during school days please fill out the request for excused absence form at this link Cottage Lake Pre-Approved Absence Form
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
NSD now accepting applications For Early Learning Programs 2022-23 School Year
NSD is now accepting applications for the 2022-23 school year for our
Tuition-Free Early Learning programs for income eligible families!
The Northshore School District is proud to offer multiple early learning programs that are free of charge for income-eligible families. The three Early Childhood Education Programs include Head Start, ECEAP (Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program) and Ready Start.
Eligibility for our programs is determined by child’s age, family income and circumstances.
Children must turn 3 years of age by August 31st, 2022 to be considered for the 2022-23 school year.
Please contact one of our Family Support Specialists with any questions and to start the application process.
For more information about our programs and to download a copy of our application
(in English and Spanish) please follow this link:
Please contact 425-408-6013 with any questions.
2022-2023 School Year calendar
- First Day of School - August 31
- Elementary Conferences - November 17-23 (These are half-days.... with a dismissal time around 12:45 PM.)
- Winter Break - December 19-January 2
- Mid-Winter Break - February 20-24
- Spring Break - April 10-14
- Last Day of School - June 20
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.