FPHS Parent and Student Memo
Nov 2, 2020
Dear Parents and Students,
- Please, take the time to read through the items below. You'll find some resources to help with grades, celebrate culture and community, learn about college, and updates for athletics.
Stay tuned for more information and details. We wish you all the very best. Stay safe and be well!
Need help with time management or organization?
If you're noticing that managing asynchronous time has become a challenge, please use the Weekly Planner attachment below to organize your day. If you're organized and managing your time wisely, you should be finished with all of your schoolwork by 3pm each day. If you're using this planner and still not able to finish by 3pm, please contact your teachers or the HW Center for additional help.
Parents, need help checking your child's grades? Watch the video below.
November Culture Calendar
November is ...
- Native American Heritage Month. Learn more HERE.
- National Adoption Awareness Month. Learn more HERE.
- Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month. Learn more HERE.
- 11/1: Dia de los Muertos. Learn more HERE.
- 11/11: Veterans Day. Learn more HERE.
- 11/14: Diwali. Learn more HERE.
- 11/16: Dutch American Heritage Day. Learn more HERE.
- 11/26: Thanksgiving
Cardinal Character Trait for October: RESPONSIBILITY
Native American Heritage Month: Did you know ... ?
Washington State Tribes map: https://www.washingtontribes.org/the-tribes-of-washington/ - Sidenote: This map only shows federally recognized tribes. The Duwamish tribe, on of the tribes Chief Seattle is from, is not listed on this map because the Federal Government does not recognize them. Also, this is an interactive map so you can hover your mouse over the different tribe names and learn more about each of them.
Poem by Joy Harjo: https://poets.org/poem/remember-0
Traditional clothing of the Coastal Salish people (northwest tribes) https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/permanent/northwest-coast/kwakwa-ka-wakw/kwakwa-ka-wakw-collection/clothing
Please see this ONE time COVID-19 financial relief program available to immigrants in Washington State.
The Immigrant Relief Fund WA is providing direct cash payments to individuals who have not qualified for federal stimulus, etc. due to status and have been financially impacted by COVID.
SENIOR Yearbook Photos!
Hello Seniors!This is a reminder from your FPHS Yearbook Crew that senior portraits are due by 12/1. Below are instructions on how to upload them online (do not send photos via email). Please, remember this is for seniors only. Underclassmen who want to submit photos will have the opportunity to do so at a later date. Thanks!
Homework Center: Free Tutoring Daily
- Monday through Friday: 9am - 11am and 12:30pm - 2:30pm.
- On Wednesdays, there is an additional hour available from 3pm to 4pm.
HW Center LINK.
FPHS athletes and families,
There is still a lot to be decided in terms of how our interscholastic sports seasons are going to be formatted. As of right now there are no changes in athletic seasons from the initial modifications the WIAA made this summer. However, considerations are being made on potential new formats due to risk levels associated with each sport in association with Covid-19 case numbers. If changes happen we will notify our families through all outlets possible. You can also stay connected on most recent developments through these links provided by the Washington Interscholastic Athletics Association.
For the latest updates and information about 2020-21 high school sports, please visit the WIAA website HERE and watch the video from Mr. McNeil below.
For the most recent modified sport season calendar, visit HERE.
For some exciting news! There are now opportunities for your son or daughter to engage with FPHS coaches and take part in an organized conditioning program. See below for dates and times have been approved by the school district for a conditioning program.
In order for athletes to be able to participate in the conditioning program they will need to complete the following items prior to arrival.
- Register in Family ID (Covid-19 waiver included in registration)
- Have a current physical on file
It is important for athletes and families to note that spaces for these conditionings are limited based on capacity. Registrations will be approved on a first come first serve basis as long as athlete has a current physical and familyID registration is complete. A Microsoft Forms registrations will become an active live link on Franklin Pierce High School’s homes page on Tuesday at 3PM. https://franklinpiercehighschool.fpschools.org
Access this website and link to ensure you spot in the program.
If approved for the conditioning program. The following practices and guidelines will be in place on each day upon arrival:
· All coaches, student-athletes and approved school personnel are required to complete an in-person COVID-19 Screening PRIOR to entrance to the training session.
· Temperature will be taken of each person attending the training session.
· Screening questions will be asked of each person attending the training session. This allows coaches to interact directly with the student-athlete.
· Any coach or student-athlete answering yes will not be allowed to enter the facility or practice. Contact parent/guardian immediately about next steps and pick-up from practice.
· No parents or spectators will be allowed at Fall Training in-person practices. Only coaches, student-athletes cleared for practice, athletic trainers, and approved school personnel will be permitted. Others are welcome to wait in their vehicle or return after practice for student pick-up.
· Coaches will receive training/instruction on all screening protocol prior to conducting any training session.
· Cloth masks will be properly worn by student-athletes any time they are not participating in drills. Entering and exiting the facility, moving around the facility, occupying the sideline, etc. To the extent possible masks should be worn during training. All adults, coaches and school personnel will wear the KN95 masks provided by the district.
· Students will bring their own clothing, towels, and other personal equipment. Sharing of any equipment is NOT allowed.
· Everyone will bring their own container of water to drink. Sharing is NOT allowed. Water faucets will not be available to use.
· Gathering size meets TPCHD and State DOH guidelines. This number will depend on multiple criteria such as TPCHD metric status, State DOH Guidelines, WIAA guidelines for each sport, indoor or outdoor training, and capacity of the facility.
· Maintain distancing protocols per State DOH, WIAA and TPCHD guidelines.
· Practicing physical distancing of more than 6 feet is always required of all participants.
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Franklin Pierce HS Website
- FPS Remote Learning Website
- IT Help Desk for Students and Parents: 253-298-4647, 7:30AM to 4PM.
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- FPS Breakfast and Lunch Program: www.fpschools.org/meals
- FPS Education Resources: https://www.fpschools.org/exended-closure-resources-and-information/closure-educational-resources
- Want to add Canvas to your phone? Android or iOS. Once you download the app, search "fpschools" to find our district.
- FPHS Facebook page.
- Information about GRADES and GRADING.
- Information about BUSES.
- District CALENDAR.
- Information about ATTENDANCE.
- How to access and use DORA.
COVID- 19 Resources:
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Gov. Inslee's COVID-19 updates web page: https://www.governor.wa.gov/tags/covid-19-coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- District resources and partners: https://www.fpschools.org/departments/family-engagement-office/community-resources
- Check with your phone and internet provider: many providers are offering free and/or unlimited data, internet etc. during the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
- Financial Resources: https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus/financial-resources