The Tiger Times
A Note from your Principal
Dear West Newton families,
The December rush is upon everyone and our students are happily and busily learning each day! Students are taking their math facts assessments this week as well as their STAR Renaissance assessments in reading and math. Students will also complete their second district writing assessment by the beginning of January. These opportunities to showcase our students’ learning also support teachers in gauging areas of strength and where improvement is needed as they differentiate their lessons to support students.
West Newton students have been giving back to the Decatur Township community in a number of ways. In November, it was our students and their families who helped to fill the food pantry at the Goodwin Center. Now that it’s December, our Student Council representatives are leading the way with a Toy Drive for the Goodwin Center (new toys only, please) to ensure that children in need receive at least one new toy this holiday season. These philanthropic endeavors from our children and their families warm my heart and make me smile each time I think about them – thank you so much!
We are showcasing our 3rd and 4th graders on Thurs., Dec. 13 at 7:00pm with our Winter Program. Our new music teacher, Mrs. Stebbe, has been busily directing our 3rd and 4th graders with some wonderful songs that will have our audience wanting to sing along! Our winter parties will take place on Thurs., Dec. 20 at 1:45pm. Parents who are planning to volunteer to help at the party will need to register with our Volunteer Hub; this must be completed several days in advance of the party date of Dec. 20. Please call our office if you have questions.
Winter Break is Dec. 21 – Jan. 4 and the school will be closed during that time. We open our doors again on Jan. 7 and I am always so happy to see our students. Thank you for sharing your students with the West Newton staff!
With Tiger Pride,
Susan D. Strube
A NOTE FROM THE NURSE
Cold and Flu Reminders!
Dear Parents and guardians,
Cold and flu season is upon us! My main goal this season is to keep our West Newton students and staff as healthy as possible. I will need everyone’s help in order to accomplish this goal! The following are some reminders about illness and your children:
1) Students that have a fever above or equal to 100.0 degrees MUST STAY HOME!
2) Students cannot return to school until they have been fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of medication. The Center for Disease Control recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care.
3) Students will only be sent home sick if they have a fever above or equal to 100.0, or vomiting 2x or more in 30 min and/or experiencing frequent diarrhea. If a student has a low grade temperature in the morning or has vomited/diarrhea they are most likely contagious. PLEASE KEEP THEM HOME!
4) Seek emergency medical attention if your child shows any of these symptoms:
-Fast or trouble breathing
-Bluish skin color
-Not drinking any fluids
-Not waking up or not interacting
-Flu-like symptoms resolve but then return with high fever and/or worsening cough
-Fever with a rash
5) Washing your hands is the BEST way to prevent the spread of cold and flu!!
6) Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze (try coughing into your sleeve instead of your mouth-ALWAYS wash your hands with soap and water or hand sanitizer!
7) Please notify the school if your student has been diagnosed with influenza A and please make sure to share any doctor’s notes or medical documentation related to the illness with the school nurse.
Thank you for your help in keeping our Tiger cubs healthy and ready to learn!! J
West Newton School Nurse
Practice equals mastery ~ students will gain confidence and show success in the classroom. If you need help with ideas and/or strategies, contact your child's teacher.
Go to www.decaturproud.org
Click on the tab 'Families', then 'Volunteer' to submit an electronic form.
Don't have a computer, not a problem. Volunteer forms are available in the school office.
For more information contact:
Bev O'Toole 317-241-0183 or email@example.com
West Newton PTO ~ Events at a Glance
Saturday, 1st / 9:00-1:00 - - - Winter Wonderland
Decmber 3rd - 7th / 8:30-1:30 - - - Secret Santa Shop
Thursday, 13th @ 7pm - - - 3rd and 4th Grade Program
Friday, 14th 6:00-8:00 - - - Movie Night
December 21st-January 4th - - - Winter Break ~ No School
Monday, 7th - - - School Reconvenes ~ Welcome Back!
Tuesday, 8th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 18th / 6:00-8:00 - - - Movie Night
Tuesday, 5th @ 6pm - - - PTO Meeting
Friday, 15th / 6:00 - 8:00 - - - Movie Night
Friday, 22nd / 6:00 - 8:00 - - - West Newton's Got Talent
BOX TOPS for EDUCATION
Clipping Box Tops for Education is an easy way to help earn cash for our school. Each one is worth 10¢ for our school! Just look for the pink Box Tops on hundreds of products. All you have to do is clip them and send them to school. Your child can earn personal rewards and rewards for their class or grade level when they bring in Box Tops! For more information on Box Tops, including a list of participating products, go to BTFE.com. Be sure to sign up as a member (it’s free!) so you can check out our school’s earnings details and get access to coupons and bonus offers. You can also download the Box Tops Bonus App to earn even more money for our school.
Thank you for your support!