3L Weekly News
Week Ending September 25, 2015
Haddonfield Rotary came to visit!
Thank you for the dictionary!
Comparing the definition of doctor in a children's dictionary.
Comparing the definition of doctor in a medical dictionary.
This Week In...
Special Visits: This week we had a very special visit from the Haddonfield Rotarians. They donated a dictionary to each 3rd grader at Central. It was wonderful to have Ms. Briant and Mrs. Wisniewski explain how to use a dictionary and provide the students with information about the Rotary. Mrs. Simkus also stopped by to read the students a book titled Ish by Peter H. Reynolds (author of The Dot). This book was about a little boy who loves to draw. His older brother makes a remark which made him regret his decisions to draw. However, his little sister explains that it's more important to try than to always be right.
- We continued to practice and reflect on our “Read to Self” abilities. This week we did a fabulous job working on our reading stamina.
- We demonstrated our thinking while reading by noting connections, predictions, or questions we had about the text.
- Our final activity was learning how to work in groups to discuss, or "buzz" about our thinking. The students of 3L did a FABULOUS job listening to each other’s thoughts!
- We continued to review 2nd grade concepts and had our second timed addition (or subtraction) assessment.
- We focused on using number grids to find differences, the probability of an event occurring, making/interpreting bar and pictographs and Name Collection Boxes.
- Name Collection Boxes show different ways to represent a number.
- We continued to work on practicing addition and subtraction facts, measuring, ordering numbers from largest to smallest, and solving word problems using Math Boxes.
- We began our second writing lesson.
- In this lesson, we thought about special people in our lives. Next, we listed different small moments we shared with that person, the wrote about the person and event.
- We also wrote thank you notes to the Haddonfield Rotarians. Students learned the basics of a letter: date, letter, body, closing, and signature.
- We began preparing our upcoming Plant Unit by identifying what we know and want to know about plants.
- We discussed the difference between subjective and objective observations.
- We determined that our observations in this unit need to be objective.
- We learned how to change fonts, colors, sizes, and add borders in Microsoft Word.
- You will see the final copies of these changes on our I Am Poems at Parent Visitation.
- We also spent time practicing our typing skills on Typing Agent.
- Students shared what they'd do with 1 million dollars, what's happened to them in the past (vacations, broken bones), what they want to invent, what they did over the weekend.
- Greetings in Navajo, Portugese, Hindi, Hatian Creole .
Check This Out!
2. Telling Time website
3. Twitter:I have recently started tweeting on Twitter! You can find our pictures via #centralschoolpride, @mlipski1, or @CentralES1 (Mrs. Simkus and Central page)https://twitter.com
4. Time for Kids is great for current events.
5. Online Addition Practice: **look on right hand side and click addition!
6. Moby Max: This is a great enrichment tool for Math and Language Arts. Your child's login is in the front of his/her planner. Students will be logging in for the first time this year on Friday.
Room Mom Information
Week of Respect: Please click the link.
Timed Addition Quiz: Please make sure your child practices his/her facts. These facts should be memorized!
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact be so we can set up a date to celebrate!
Homework: Please review your child’s homework. If your child has difficulty on homework, please write a note on their homework or circle the problems that were troublesome.
Box Tops: If you have any box tops, 3L would be happy to submit them with our class collection!
Student Logins: If students forget their Journeys Textbook, it can be accessed through think central.com. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed through everydaymathonline.com. The login information is also in the front of your child's planner book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Central Events: September and October
Friday, October 2 8:00am Central School Spirit Day
Wednesday, October 7 3:10pm Central School PAC Meeting
Thursday, October 8 8:00am Central School Picture Day
Monday, October 12 Columbus Day (regional holiday)
Tuesday, October 13 9:00am Parent Visitation
Wednesday, October 14 1:00pm Parent Visitation and Central School PTA Meeting 7:30pm
Tuesday, October 20 3:30pm Interim Report Cards Available Online for Grades
Thursday, October 22 6:00pm Central School Fashion Show
Friday, October 30 1:45pm Central School Halloween Parade
Saturday, October 31 Halloween
Specials This Week
Tuesday is a Day 5:
- Library (Community Meeting)
Wednesday is a Day 6:
Thursday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Gym
Friday is a Day 2:
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2
2. Diego October 5-9
3. Katie October 12-16
4. Isaiah October 26-30
5. Blair November 9-13
6. Caden November 16-20
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4
8. Eliza January 4-8
9. Caroline January 11-15
10. Bryson January 25-29
11. Vienna February 1-5
12. Luca February 8-12
13. Dayne February 22-26
14. Libby February 29-Mar.4
15. Derrick March 7-11
16. Lindsey March 14-18
17. Diana March 29- April 1
18. Molly April 4-8
19. Liam April 11-15
20. Elena April 25-29
21. William May 2-6
22. Joey May 16-20
23. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2
2. Liam Friday, October 9
3. Diana Friday, October 16
4. Vienna Friday, October 30
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4
8. Elena Friday, December 11
9. Natalie Friday, January 8
10. Joey Friday, January 15
11. William Friday, January 29
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12
13. Katie Friday, February 19
14. Christopher Friday, February 26
15. Blair Friday, March 4
16. Diego Friday, March 18
17. Caden Friday, April 1
18. Nathan Friday, April 15
19. Eliza Friday, May 6
20. Caroline Friday, May 13
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Luca Friday, June 3
23. Dayne Friday, June 10