Independent Study Updates
Almost May, 2017
Six weeks left in the school year! Oh my!
Before we know it, the school year will be over. There are several upcoming events detailed below. Please read through this entire update so you are informed!
In case I don't get around to creating another newsletter before the year ends I just want to take a moment to express how much I have enjoyed working with each of my students this year. This particular group of students has been kind, empathetic, compassionate, talented, bright, hard-working and so much fun. Every day I witness my students treat each other with respect and dignity. I love this and am extremely grateful to each of you. In your own way, you are all gifted people who express your unique talents and share little pieces of your lives with each other and with me. I am grateful.
- Weeks of April 24th- End of May- Smarter Balance Testing for Grade 10 and 11.
- April 27th- Last day to drop a community college class with a W and avoid a failing grade on your permanent college transcript. Talk to me now if you aren't passing a community college course.
- Monday, May 1st- School holiday. The ISP classroom will be closed, but, community college classes meet.
- Wednesday, May 3rd 12:30 Discussion with International Students from Malaysia and Pizza! Sign up in the classroom. More details below.
- Friday, May 5th- The ISP classroom will be closed as I will be at the district office all day as part of an interview panel.
- Week of May 8th- Submit completed/signed Concurrent Enrollment forms for fall semester community college courses. Our registration date is May 16th and forms must be turned in prior to registration. You can register later, but, classes fill up quickly.
- Week of May 20th- Finals week for community college classes.
- Monday, May 29th- Memorial Day No school
- Wednesday, May 31st- Seniors- All ISP work needs to be completed for home school graduation verification.
- Thursday, June 1st- Independent Study Graduation at Canada College. Building 6 Room 101/102 at 3:00 PM. Come celebrate with us!
- Wednesday, June 7th- Absolute last day for all ISP students to complete work for spring semester credit. Last student day.
ISP and Home School Textbook Returns
Community College Classes Summer and Fall (Concurrent Enrollment)
New concurrently enrolled students must first apply to the college. I can help you with this, or you can do it from home. Click on this link to read about how to apply and access the online application. Students apply using their home school as their school of attendance.
Returning concurrently enrolled students and new concurrently enrolled students need to complete the signed College Connection form and return it to me. This form can be scanned and submitted through websmart, but, we can also turn it in to the admissions office. Here is the link to the packet. I need a copy of the signature page returned to me.
As a reminder, Independent Study students earn both high school and college credits for community college classes. It is a good deal!!! There are so many choices. Check out the printed schedule in the classroom, or log into webschedule to see course offerings from Canada, College of San Mateo and Skyline College.
Malaysian International Student Visit
Wednesday, May 3rd at 12:30 in our classroom.
I will provide pizza.
Sign up in the classroom.
Smarter Balance Testing for Grade 10 and 11
All testing needs to be completed before the end of May.
Important Information for Seniors
This is a very exciting time for you. Remind yourself that you worked hard to get to this point. While it is exciting, it can also be stressful. Be mindful of how you are feeling and take time to take care of yourself. Enjoy each moment and know that the angst, stress, excitement and maybe even some fear will pass. Deep breaths and healthy thoughts help!! Talk to me if you need assistance.
Time is going fast. Make sure you spend the necessary time working on assignments. If you need a quiet place to focus, come to the classroom.
If you intend to participate in your home school graduation make sure you are included on any lists and information that seniors are receiving at your home school.
Here are some important details to remember:
- Comprehensive schools will hold diplomas and prevent students from walking in their ceremony if there are outstanding fees-library, textbook or other fees. Make sure you are cleared. Talk to the librarian/textbook clerks at your home school now so there are no surprises.
- Independent Study students earn their home school diploma. Your diploma can be picked up right after the home school graduation or through the counseling office the week after graduation (which will be way less hectic).
- Home schools need to know that ISP students have completed all coursework by May 31st. All ISP and Apex work must be finished by this date.
Class of 2017 Independent Study Graduation
Graduates need to arrive by 2:15 so we can have a practice before the real deal. The audience will be allowed in the room after our practice, so please be on time.
- Invitations are available in the classroom.
- We are recording the senior video clips this week. See me if you haven't done yours yet. Yes, we are all doing this!
- A couple of parents are emailing you requesting a current and baby/toddler picture. You can scan the pictures and send them to the parents, or bring pictures to me.
- Our caps/tassels should arrive next week. Appropriate decorations are encouraged, but, not required.
- Start thinking now about what you want to say at our graduation.
- We don't hand out real diplomas at our graduation....
This event is all about celebrating you and your accomplishments. It will be memorable.
Promise Scholarship at Canada College for High School Graduates
Please note that this scholarship is only available for Canada College students who take 12 units or more.
Read the information on this link and click to the bottom to apply.
25 More School Days
Make the most of the time we have left!!!