Foothill MS Community Memo
August 23, 2021
It's so wonderful to share that the year is rolling forward reintroducing in-person learning. Although it was just over five quarters of school, which at times felt like a lifetime, we have 2/3's of our student body experiencing middle school for the first time. Changing classes, learning to navigate our rotating drop schedule, meeting new friends, exploring clubs to join, learning new activities in PE, and more.
It is important for you to be fully informed. Communication from Foothill MS and MDUSD is sent through Parent/Square, posted on our website, and specifics from teachers will be in their Google Classroom. Additionally all staff have a District email and you are able to communicate easiest via this method. Please allow 48 hours on work days for a response. Also, our Parent Faculty Association (PFA) sends messages through Konstella and hosts monthly meetings where families are able to learn the functions of the group and their support of our school, a monthly contribution from a staff member, and the principal's report. On September 15 please try to attend the next PFA meeting (via Zoom).
Below are a number of links to help you obtain information you may be seeking regarding Covid-19 protocols, source of air quality monitoring (through AirNow website), our school website.
At this time students have received their "at home" textbooks, which should not be in their backpacks. Any textbooks used are also in the classrooms so students and teachers have full access. As we fully move our children into the 21st Century of modern learning we are providing a Chromebook for each student. Unfortunately the distribution was delayed but should be here very soon. Please read below where I have detailed the handbook, insurance that is available (highly recommended), and the signature page. If you should have further questions regarding this please let me know.
Middle School is the adventure our staff signed up for. Whether this is your first child, your middle child, your oldest child to attend middle school, the experience will be different for each. Each child is learning who they what to become, how to belong, developing decision-making skills, why deodorant might be important to not forget, and so much more! We are here to support your child through these navigations.
It is an honor to serve the Foothill Community, and to see your child. Take care, be well, and don't hesitate to reach out.
Sincerely your principal, Mrs. Vaiana
Back to School Night (B2SN), Monday, August 23
All teachers will present a live presentation either via Google Meet or Zoom. Please check your emails for the links. They may be posted both in their Google Classroom and/or ParentSquare notification to you.
The schedule will follow 1st period through Advisory (8th period). Please feel free to use this link to have your child(ren) provide their classes in order, or go to the link within to look it up yourself on HomeLink.
- Each period will be "8" minutes in length, with four minutes for you to transfer to the next period (class).
- 1st Period will begin at 6:30 pm, with the entire evening ending at 8 pm.
- Please reach out via email to your child's teacher with any questions that may arise or clarification.
School Donations at the Foothill MS Webstore
Foothill Middle School appreciates the support families provide through donations for our classes. All Donations are collected through the Foothill MS Webstore, found at that link or on our homepage.
- Donations provide materials, which include licensing, software programs, and supplies; this is especially true of elective classes.
- All the materials (whether tangible or not) are designed to aid students in learning and developing their skills.
- These are ONLY for Foothill MS students. Donations do not feed into the District funds. T
- All donations are tax deductible (tax ID#68-0091157). Any contribution is greatly appreciated.
This is not the PFA ED Fund.
1:1 Chromebooks for all Foothill Students
The delivery has been delayed but we will send out notification of our distribution as soon as we know. It will be done within the school day. Anticipating the latest is the first week of September.
- Students will not be able to use their personal device on campus--it must be a MDUSD issued device. There is no way to connect to our WiFi, server, Google Enterprise Suite, and more.
- Students will need their ID card (received last week on picture day).
- The below User Agreement must be signed.
ALL students will need to read the Parent/Guardian/Student Agreement and Handbook.
Families will need to submit the User Agreement before a Chromebook can be checked out to use.
Parents/Guardians have the option to purchase affordable device insurance through Securranty. The cost for insurance is $21.95 annually. Securranty provides the following in their coverage:
- Mechanical Breakdown
- Accidental Damage (cracked screens/liquid spills/etc.)
- Power Surge
- Natural Disasters
Securranty offers $0 deductible and unlimited claims. Parents/Guardians interested in purchasing device insurance must do so within 30 days of receipt of the device. Parents/Guardians may sign up after the 30 day window; however, Securranty will require a letter and photos of the device from the school site, confirming the device is not damaged and is in proper working condition.
To be eligible for insurance, ALL damage, loss, or theft of devices must be reported immediately to school site personnel. Claims for insured devices will be filed by the school site and a loaner device (see below) will be issued to the student. (Note: Loaner devices are not covered by the purchased insurance policy.)
To sign up for Securranty insurance, please go to https://securranty.com/mdusd.
For questions on protocols, procedures, TESTING sites, and more please view this page and all the links.
These details are updated at the District level and can be found on the District's homepage as well. It includes the Chart and Written Guidelines.
Student illnesses and returning to school
If your child goes home, or is reported absent due to any symptoms associated with COVID-19 such as:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Diarrhea or unexplained abdominal issues
… To return to in-person school, your child must complete one of the following:
- Take a Covid test and provide the office with a negative test result (in home tests are not accepted) OR
- Bring in a written clearance from their medical provider, OR
- Complete a 10-day quarantine (beginning from the onset of symptoms AND be symptom free for at least 24 hours)
Please visit mdusd.org for district testing sites and times, or Contra Costa Health Services at cchealth.org or (844) 729-8410.
ParentSquare and StudentSquare
ParentSquare and StudentSquare is THE mode of communication for MDUSD and Foothill MS.
- Weekly there is a District Friday Letter that is mailed to families to keep you in the know.
- Classroom teachers and Principal messages will be pushed out as well. Depending on the content it may be to both groups or just Parents/Guardians as needed.
- This allows 2-way communication between the school and the student and families. (This can also be done by downloading the app but the app is not required to receive messages).
If you have received NO communication to this date please send an email to our Office Manager, Ms. Martin (email@example.com) or call the office.
Looking ahead at Important Dates (Foothill MS and MDUSD)
- Monday, August 23: Foothill MS Virtual Back to School Night, 6:30-8pm
- Wednesday, August 25: MDUSD School Board Meeting at 6pm.
- Wednesday, September 8: PFA Dine at Donate Fundraiser at Chipotle (Oak Grove), 4-8pm.
- Wednesday, September 15: Foothill PFA Meeting, online at 7pm.
- Thursday, September 16: Minimum Day. Students released at 12:30, no lunch served.
Foothill MS Student Handbook.
- IF you are interested in last year (2020-2021) yearbook please contact the office. We still have a few to pick-up the yearbook were ordered. They are also still available for purchase.
- For 2021-2022 we are still establishing a possible solution to having a yearbook. Currently there was not enough interest in a class so it is not within our school program.