@Your Library Media Center
ARE Media Center News - July 2017
Beginning of Year 2017-2018 Edition!
We have a new color printer! The PTA generously bought us a new HP color printer. It is located in the same place as the old one in the Media Center. In order to print you must come to the Media Center and use the computer that faces the office. Please be sure to choose the correct printer!
A few requests:
- Limit yourself! The PTA is only buying 1 set of color cartridges per quarter (because they cost around $800 per set!) so when we run out, we're out until the start of the 2nd quarter. If it seems like just a few teachers are using up all the ink, we'll have to put individual limits on how much each of you can print and I really do not want to have to monitor that!
- Please think before you print - are you going to keep these papers for a long time? Are they going to be laminated and used over and over again?? If they're going to end up in the recycling bin in a few days... is it really worth printing them in color???
- If you've already printed quite a bit, please hold off for now. Track 4 is not even here yet and they will not be happy if we're out of ink before their work days!
Book Check Out
The number of books students in each grade can check out is as follows:
K - 1
1st - 1
2nd - 2
3rd - 3
4th - 4
5th - 5
During arrival - students must report to their classroom FIRST before visiting the Media Center. This allows them to unpack and check in with you and get your permission to come exchange a book. 1st-5th grade students are ready to start doing this - Kinder teachers, please wait until after I let you know your class is ready for independent check out.
During the day - students in grades 2-5 may come to the Media Center at any time of the day as long as they have your permission (and are wearing a library pass). Please do not send more than 3-4 students at a time to help limit disruption as I will almost always be teaching when they come in this year.
We are going to be more strict about requiring students to wear/bring a library pass every time they come to the Media Center this year. Please help them remember to wear them each time, as this is the only way we know for sure that you gave them permission to visit the Media Center.
If you are in need of library passes please email Lisa Smith (email@example.com) with how many you need. Each class should have 3-4 passes for students to use when visiting the library to get books throughout the day.
Media & Technology Advisory Committee
Junior Librarians (Grades 3-5)
Computer Lab & Media Center Computer Sign-ups
Situations where your student will need to bring & use their own headphones:
- Using the computers in your classroom
- When you check out an iPad or Laptop cart
- When you visit the Computer Lab as a whole class
- When I request they bring them with them to Media Class
- Any other scenario where they are using a device that makes noise :)
Lessons w/ Mrs. Santiago
Leveled Book Room Database
Don't forget -
The Leveled Book Room has a database of ALL the books in that room. The link below will take you to a Google Sheet that has each set's title, author, number of copies, Guided Reading Level, Lexile Level (if we could find it), the old Wake County level, whether it is Fiction or Non-Fiction, and any notes about the book. The database is organized by level and is searchable (by going to Edit and selecting Find and Replace). The very best part is that you can access this list at home! Now you can know what we have in the Book Room without having to be in the Book Room! The database is below and also linked from the Teachers portion of my website.
If there is a specific title (or many titles) or a topic that you wish we had more books on please click the link below and fill out the form. I will also be adding this request form to my website and email signature for any future requests.