4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary School - Leander ISD
Week of September 7-11, 2015
4th Grade Parent Night Is (Almost) Here!
4th Grade Parent Night!
- WHEN: This TUESDAY, September 8th from 6:00 - 7:00
- WHERE: In the Reagan Cafeteria
- WHY: Because there's a lot going on in 4th grade and we want to work together with you to make sure your kiddo has a fabulous school year!
HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT!!!
What are we doing this week?
- Continue Step 1 of the Writing Process: Brainstorming
- Grammar: plural nouns (-s, -es, -ies, -ves, etc.)
- Continue Texas geography and symbols
- Rounding whole numbers to a given place through the hundred thousands place
- Understanding the relative size of measurement units
- PACE: prime & composite numbers
- Measurement & rounding quiz on Friday
- intro to literature genres
- continue analogies & relationships
- continue individual reading assessments
- Sitton Spelling Unit 2: wind, behind, cannot, letter, among
- Measuring volume by water displacement
- Investigating magnetic properties of matter
- Investigating sinking and floating properties of matter
Our Current Week
- NO SCHOOL - Enjoy the long weekend!
- Blue Specials Day
- 4th Grade Parent Night in Cafeteria - 6:00 - 7:00
- Purple Specials Day
- Red Specials Day (Library day for Mrs. Weltzin's homeroom -- remember your books!)
- Orange Specials Day
- quiz over measurement and rounding
Complete three FULL sessions with Xtra Math anytime between Monday 7/7 and Sunday 7/13. One session typically takes about 5-7 minutes and you will know you have completed a session when you see the sign out screen shown in the image below.
- We went to the computer lab already during class and practiced logging in. All students have their log-in info taped in their take home binders. They also need to enter the following email address as part of the log-in process, which is also taped in their binders: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please let us know if your child does not have access to an internet-connected device at home to complete this assignment so that we can come up with an alternate plan for your child.
- A flyer is coming home with your child's Wednesday folder that will give the steps for you to sign up for a parent account to monitor your child's progress in Xtra Math.
Use TxConnect to Monitor Your Child's Grades
What to expect in your child's backpack
- Binder: Each student has a binder that is carried back and forth between home and school each day. This binder contains your child's log-in information for online accounts we use in our classroom, in addition to assignments he/she is working on correcting as well as spelling & grammar work. We encourage you to take a look at what your child has been doing at school in this binder and to help your child remember to bring it back to school if it is taken out at home.
- Wednesday folder (see picture on the right): This folder will come home every Wednesday. It may contain communication from the front office, messages from teachers, or graded papers. Parents should review & remove the papers and send the folder back to school the next day.
- Where is the rest of my child's work? We will keep samples of your child's work at school in a portfolio for your child to share with you in conferences at the end of the year. Although a large majority of graded paper assignments will be sent home in Wednesday folders, if you ever notice a grade appear in TxConnect for your child that is not sent home in Wednesday folders, feel free to check with us to verify that it is in your child's portfolio.
BYOT (Bring Your Own Technology)
We know that kids - even our big, grown up 4th graders - love, and learn through, legos, music, playdoh, dancing, running, playing...and we work hard with our classes to ensure that our students are exposed to all of those opportunities and more.
We also know that kids love and learn from technology, and at the rate our world is changing, we believe we do a disservice to our students if we don't attempt to blend the two learning models. We are preparing our students for jobs that most likely don't currently exist, and want to do our best to expose them to modalities that will help them be successful in their future.
Over the course of the year, there are several apps that we will use on a fairly regular basis for class activities. While we may not use them daily, we will use them often enough that it would be beneficial for your child to have quick access to them.
If your child brings in a device that is able to download apps, we'd appreciate it if you'd consider adding these apps. There are other apps we will use throughout the course of the year, and we will notify you before we use them so you may download them if you're able. If your child does not bring in his/her own device, we have ones available to share in the classroom.
Want to Keep in the Loop?
We also utilize a service called Remind throughout the course of the year in an attempt to make your life as a parent just a little bit easier. With Remind, we can send you one way texts with time sensitive reminders or last minute schedule changes (for example, "Picture Day tomorrow!", or "Field Trip on Friday; please fill out permission slip if you haven't done so") that are beneficial for you to know. To subscribe to the service, text @eddyweltz to the number 81010. If you have trouble using the 81010 number, text @eddyweltz to (562) 246-8878. Texts will be limited in frequency, but you may unsubscribe at any time by replying with "unsubscribe @eddyweltz". For more info regarding Remind, see the link below.
Weekly memos will be sent via email as well. If your address changes, please let us know so we can keep our records current.
Classroom Supply Wish List
Mrs. Weltzin: Calamine lotion, printable return address labels (here's an example), colorful / fun rolls of duct tape
Mrs. Eddy: Gallon ziploc bags, calamine lotion, large multi-colored chisel-tip Sharpies