Flores Class Chronicle - Week 29
April 11 - 15
Please take a moment to read this memo (it can get lengthy) each week. This is where we will post all the important dates and events to keep up with.
The weekly newsletters may also be found archived on our class website under the "Weekly Newsletters" page. Questions and/or comments? Please let me know!
For the love of learning,
Current Week's Schedule of Events
The Week Ahead
Please Review Our Class Special's Schedule for your Student's Rotation Day. (https://sites.google.com/a/leanderisd.org/mrs-flores/class-schedule
- Purple Specials Day
- Famous Texan research choice sheets sent home
- Red Specials Day
- Orange Specials Day
- Yellow Specials Day
- deadline for Famous Texan choice sheets to be returned to school
- 4th grade Field Trip to Twin Lakes YMCA
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- continue persuasive writing unit - Superhero Hall of Fame
- Texas Revolution ABC book
- review fractions
- review area & perimeter
- review elapsed time
- Fact and Opinion
- continue Biography Black Belts
- life cycle of a seed
- plant and animal adaptations & observations
- schoolyard ecology vocabulary (practice the quizlet below)
Students may begin using iStation and Think Through Math at home. Passwords and information about these programs will be sent home this Wednesday.
Field Trip Reminders - This Friday, April 15th!
If your child is bringing his/her lunch this Friday for our field trip, please send it in a gallon size Ziploc style bag with your child's name labeled clearly on the outside. We will transport lunches to the fieldtrip site in coolers with ice.
Lunch orders for students who are planning on purchasing a sack lunch from our Reagan Cafeteria are due Tuesday morning by 8:00am. If you have not responded with your order for a school sack lunch for your child, s/he will be required to bring a lunch.
NEW CHECK POLICY FOR LUNCH CHECKS
Famous Texans Research Time!!!
Fourth grade has a culminating research project in where each student selects a famous Texan to research. As part of this project, students will:
- RESEARCH: Students will research the person's life, accomplishments, and positive impact this person has had on Texas history and build a Google Presentation about this person.The majority of this will be done at school.
- CREATE: Students will create a poster highlighting the person's life. This is completed at home; we will provide poster board (see details below).
- PERFORM: Students will prepare a brief (60 second) summation of the person's life that they perform as part of our annual Texas Living History Museum on Friday, May 27th. On Museum Day, students dress as their famous Texan and perform for our museum "guests" (the other grades in the school). It's an exciting day for students and one they typically enjoy.
This Monday, your child will be coming home with a choice sheet where they will select THREE possible famous Texans they are interested in researching. Selection sheets are due back to school no later than Thursday, April 14th, however, they may be returned to school anytime this week. Research assignments will be made on a first come, first served basis, so please get your selection sheet turned in ASAP. Sheets MUST be signed off by a parent indicating that you approve of your child's selections.
For more detailed information, including project deadlines, please see the link below. You will also find this information on our class website.
Below you will find upcoming dates for the first semester. Please update your calendars accordingly. Please understand that dates are subject to change and more than likely will, but we will keep this list current to the best of our ability. To assist you in keeping your calendars updated, any additions or changes from the previous week's memo will be in bold.
- Friday 4/15 - FIELD TRIP
- 4/22 - Earth Day
- Monday 4/25 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Wednesday 5/4 - progress reports sent home ONLY for students with a grade less than 70% in a subject
- Friday 5/6 - Fun First Friday in 4th Grade - Dress like a STAR! (music, sport, TV - school dress code compliant, please :)
- Monday 5/9 - 4th Grade STAAR Math Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Tuesday 5/10 - 4th Grade STAAR Reading Test - please avoid scheduling travel or appointments on STAAR test days if at all possible!
- Monday 5/24 - Bad Weather Make-Up Day (holidays unless the assigned day is needed due to bad weather, which will be communicated in advance)
- Monday 5/30 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- Friday 6/3 End of 4th 9 weeks - report cards sent home & Last Day of School - Have a GREAT summer!