POWAY HIGH COUNSELING
KEEP IT UP, TITANS!
SENIORS - Many of you need the classes you are currently taking to meet your graduation requirements, so make sure you are going to get credit for them!
If you are having trouble accessing your classes or homework, make sure you reach out to your teachers or counselor so that they can help! We want you to be as successful as you can be!
COUNSELOR OFFICE HOURS
For quick reference, the counselors are broken down by Last Name.
A - Dom: Ms. Brown
Don - Kon: Ms. Smith
Koo - Ramj: Ms. Gradiska
Ramk - Z: Mrs. Padua Reyes
Our Student Services Specialist is also holding virtual office hours for students who need social/emotional counseling and drug/alcohol abuse counseling.
PHS Student Services Specialist
You can fill out the Enrollment Intake Form at that address. The district will collect submissions and send them to our school site twice a week. When we receive the Intake forms, we will contact you with next steps, which will include how to set up an enrollment appointment (using the Zoom app, or by telephone) with the counselor to request courses.
If you have questions about enrollment, you can email us at email@example.com
AP EXAMS SCHEDULE
WELLNESS AND REDUCING STRESS
- Focus on what you can do.
- Get a good night's sleep. It helps with immunity, mental clarity, and mood.
- Stay hydrated and eat nourishing food.
- Create daily routines! Make a plan for each day with a schedule of activities that is balanced with time for meals and breaks.
- Stretch between your classes to stay active!
- Get your day started by getting dressed for class.
- Take advantage of the good weather.
- Set up a designated study area away from your bed to stay on task and avoid taking naps.
- Stay organized! Write down all your quizzes and assignments for the week in a planner or calendar. This helps you feel in control and accomplished for getting things done.
- Be kind and patient. We can't control what is happening, but we can choose kindness
- For more helpful resources, click here.
Mental Health Crisis Tips by Dr. Susan Writer, Aurora Behavioral Healthcare
RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
Please do not feel like you are alone during these uncertain times. If you or someone you know is struggling, please reach out. Also, here are a few helpful resources:
- Talk to someone you trust
- Click here for resources for parents of teens
- Click here for the San Diego County Crisis Contact Information. Available 24/7
- If you or someone you know is in an emergency, call 911 immediately.
- Crisis Text Line - Text HOME to 741741
Is Palomar right for me? Connect to Outreach Services
Are you looking to learn more about Palomar College?
Are you deciding if Palomar is right for you?
Do you have a quick question... or MANY?
We’d love to connect with you!
Or visit our Virtual Toolbox for Prospective Students!
Is it your 1st year at Miramar College?
Seniors, the Miramar Counseling Office would love to answer your questions of class recommendations, different majors, educational goals, like transferring on to a CSU, UC or Private or obtaining an associates or certificates. Each goal has different course requirements, both general education, and major requirements. The best thing to do is have your students reach out to the Miramar Counseling Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule an appointment to create both, a short term and a long-range education plan.
Here are some helpful tools for students interested in transferring to a CSU or UC:
-ASSIST.org – major preparation articulation from California Community Colleges to CSUs and UCs.
-IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) – General Education Pattern for CSUs and UCs, many private and out-of-state institutions will accept an IGETC certification as well.
-CSUGE Breadth (California State University General Education Breadth) – General Education Pattern specifically for CSUs, some private and out-of-state institutions will accept a CSUGE Breadth Certification as well. Contact your community college to schedule an appointment with the Counseling Office for your individual educational plan.
Connect with them and sign up for the Promise Workshop on May 28th, 2020 at 11am
Online Trade Days
Interest survey for careers in the Gaming Industry
The San Diego County of Education is teaming up with a San Diego based company Daybreak Game to offer a series of online career interviews with professionals from the gaming industry game design field. In order to make this happen, they would like to know if there’s (1) student interest and (2) what would you like to learn about from presenters. Please complete this interest survey if you are interested in seeing video interviews with professionals from the gaming industry.
College Advising Sessions with UCSD Bioengineers
Over the next few weeks, the UCSD Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) will be hosting college info sessions. This is an opportunity for high school students to talk to real college students about a variety of topics, from academics to research to social life.
Complete this Interest Form and more information will be sent directly to you.
RACC College Planning Presentations
Hosted by RACC (Regional Admissions College Counselors) Webinar Series Dates:
- May 19: Understanding Holistic Admissions - 5:00pm PST | REGISTER HERE
- May 21: Connecting with Colleges - 6:00pm PST | REGISTER HERE
- May 26: Understanding Holistic Admissions - 6:00pm PST | REGISTER HERE
- May 27: Exploring Out of State Options - 3:30 PST | REGISTER HERE
YouTube: Subscribe now! RACC YouTube Channel with helpful videos and presentations.
Visit www.regionaladmissions.com for more information.
UC/CSU ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS SHIFT DUE TO COVID-19
- No letter grade requirement for A-G courses completed in Spring 2020
- No standardized test requirement for Fall 2021 freshman admission
- See links below for more information on UC/CSU COVID-19 Updates
ACT JUNE 13 - STILL SCHEDULED
SAT CANCELED THROUGH JUNE
Tentative 2019-20 Summer School Information
Dates: June 18-July 31
Location: Online through distance learning
POWAY HIGH COUNSELING
A - Dom: Christy Brown
Don - Kon: Jerrah Smith
Ramk - Z: Jerilyn Padua-Reyes
Intervention/CTE: Karly Wardwell
Counseling Assistant: Jodie Hughes
Career and Guidance Technician: Jaime Brown
Registrar: Michelle Bourget
Scheduler: Barbara Longworth
Support groups, Individual support, Alcohol/Nicotine/Other Drug Education
A-F: Gannon Burks
G-M: Brianne Froumis
N-Z: Aaron Little
INTENT TO ENROLLMENT DEADLINE REMINDER
As a reminder, May is the deadline for students to make their enrollment deposit and housing reservation payment. Some colleges may have extended their deadline so please check your college website for details.
CSU San Marcos Intent to Enroll Deadline Extended. Seniors, if you are considering attending CSU San Marcos in the fall, please note: CSUSM’s Intent to Enroll deadline has been changed to June 1, 2020.