College and Career Week
Becoming College and Career Ready
September 13-17, 2021
College Ready [Kol-ij Red-ee] – noun. A College Ready student is an academically prepared student, ready for postsecondary education or training without the need for remedial coursework. Whether you are pursuing a four-year degree or studying for a skilled trade license, being ready means having the reading, writing, mathematics, social, and cognitive skills to qualify for and succeed in the academic program of your choice.
Career Ready [Kuh-reer Red-ee] – noun. A Career Ready student possesses both the necessary knowledge and technical skills needed for employment in their desired career field. For example, a student who is ready to become a teacher not only possesses knowledge of education policy, but also possesses all required certifications required to become a teacher.
Ultimately, college and career readiness demands students know more than just content, but demonstrate that they know how to learn and build upon that content to solve problems. They must develop versatile communication skills, work collaboratively and work competitively in a school or work environment. Ensuring that you possess both the academic and technical know-how necessary for a career beyond the classroom is a great step toward succeeding on whatever path you choose.
College Week Schedule
Monday – Wear a College Shirt and Jeans
Activities for the week:
- Walk the Halls and find Careers and College information
- 2nd,3rd, and 4th – College Planning Activities Click here 2-4 grade Activities
- Pre-K -1st grade– Career Exploration Click here for Prek and Kinder Activity!
Tuesday - Wear a College Shirt and Jeans
- Teacher College Graduation Video
- · College Night Joint Event
(Pasadena ISD, Deer Park ISD, LaPorte ISD, First Baptist Christian Academy)
6:00-8:00 p.m. Deer Park High School South Campus, 710 San Augustine, Deer Park
Wednesday – Wear a College Shirt and Jeans
· Watch the Video:
- Pre-k-1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVyrW_vwaw
- 2nd – 4th grade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Jh31p9RME
Thursday - Wear a College Shirt and Jeans
· Virtual Field Trips – A Growth Mindset is important for success in life. Continue to grow and experience the world around you to build your schema (background knowledge) Click on the words below to enter your virtual field trip.
Friday - Wear a College Shirt and Jeans or Dress like a Community Helper
2nd-4th grade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1VyG6x4cY
Ways to Pay for College
TEA College Readiness Model
Ways to Pay for College
"I Can't Do That, Yet"
Someday by E. Spinelli
Listen to the book here: https://youtu.be/SNM3v3d-8Cw
I Will Go To College
Listen to the song about going to college: https://youtu.be/EvOBCNvuTN8