The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
January 5th, 2018
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
Happy Snow Day, #2! I hope everyone is staying warm as the temperature plummets even lower tonight. Please join me in thanking our custodial crew who worked through the day on Thursday to make sure Crossroads South was prepared. Today, they were back at it again, tackling the wind and drifting snow. Please stay warm and an updated district calendar will be posted soon.
- Monday will be a "D" day or "5B". Due to the snow days, our calendar had to be altered.
- SATURDAY MUSICAL REHEARSAL ON! As of now, all practices normally scheduled to take place on Saturday, January 6th, will still take place.
- FRIDAY FOLDER IMPORTANT NOTES: This week's Online Friday Folder holds several important documents from the district. Here is a quick list: PARCC Testing Dates REVISED, "How To" update CONTACTS for School Messenger/Genesis, Superintendent Meet & Greet, and several others. Please use the link below to access these important letters.
- ATTENDANCE REMINDERS: Daily attendance in school is a critical factor in the success of your child. Please do your best to minimize the number of days your child is absent from school or is taken out early for appointments. Should your child exceed the number of acceptable days absent as determined by NJ State Law, you will receive a letter from the school.
- IMPORTANT BUS NOTE: Please remember that students are only permitted to ride his/her regular bus home. You cannot go home on another bus. Our busses are full and any additional students has left others without a seat and in a potentially dangerous situation. If your child wishes to go home with another student, you must coordinate either a parent pickup at the school or a parent pickup at your house. **Bus passes can be checked for boarding.** Thank you for your understanding.
- 1/8 - BOE Meeting 7pm
- 1/9 - 8th Grade Gettysburg Parent Meeting 6:30pm
- 1/10 - PTO Meeting 7pm
- 1/15 - NO SCHOOL - MLK Jr. Day
- 1/22 - BOE Meeting 7pm
- 1/25 - EARLY RELEASE DAY
- 1/31 - 7th Grade "Middle of the Middle of the Middle Day"
MENTAL WELLNESS SUPPORT
As the second trimester is underway and the holidays are approaching, we would like to take this time to remind parents and students of available mental health resources. We encourage anyone to utilize the staff members available to make certain that students have access to the help that they need.
Staff and locations at CROSSROADS SOUTH where you can find help:
- Guidance Counselors - SPS
- Case Managers - SPS
- School Nurses - Mrs. Duvelsdorf & Mrs. Royer - Health Office
- Bridge Center- School Based Mental Health program for crisis, teen programs, and counseling - Ms. David - SPS
- Principal - Ms. Capes
- Assistant Principals & Dean - Ms. Hinson, Mr. Kmiec, & Mr. Dougherty
If you are experiencing an emergency outside of school, call 911 for immediate assistance. Other resources include:
- 2nd Floor Youth Helpline (24 hour calling and texting for students in crisis): 888-222-2228
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 (Logic Song)
- Mobile Response (will come to your home within an hour)- 877-652-7624
- Acute Psychiatric Services (Piscataway, part of University Behavioral Healthcare): 855-515-5700
- For additional resources and link to our mental wellness directory, go to the following site: http://www.sbschools.org/departments/student_services/index_nl.php?SEC=10 Click “crisis intervention phone numbers and resources” on the left hand side
Have a safe and happy holiday season!