Counseling Center NewsLetter
Erin Barnett (D-HEN) ext. 4021
April Marquez (Her-McC) ext. 4019
Greg Swaggart (McD-Sch) ext. 4020
Kerry Stites (Sco-Z) ext. 4018
Carrie Rodebush, Secretary ext. 4103
Melissa Madden, College/Scholarship Coord., ext 4003
Counseling Fax (816) 986-4116
- January 1: KC Scholars Application Opens for current 11th & 9th graders (see more info below)
- January 11: STA/MIC Open House, MIC Campus 6:00pm
- January 12: Youth Leadership Development Workshop
- January 18: 9th Gr. MIC Info. Night, MIC Campus, 6:30pm
- January 19: Coffee with a Counselor- Enrollment Questions 7:30-8:30 am
- January 25-26: 10th Gr. complete 4 Yr. Plan/Area of Focus
- January 29: 11th Gr. Enrollment Presentations
- February 1: 9th & 10th Enrollment Presentations/Career Day
- February 1: FAFSA Priority Deadline for MO
- February 1: 2018-2019 Enrollment Opens
- February 5: Interested students visit Herndon Career Center
- February 6: Interested students visit Summit Technology Academy
- February 6: Counselors at SLMS for enrollment
- February 9: Student class/HCC/STA/Cass applications due
- February 12: 8th grade Parent Orientation Night
- February 15: Enrollment Closes
- February 20: Summer School Enrollment Opens
- February 21-22: Enrollment Conferences
Full Calendar Available on the LSW Counseling Website: http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/
LSW Class Applications
Classes requiring applications include: IB Art, SBE CCE and Marketing Internship Programs, College Credit English, Intro. to Broadcasting, Intro. to Yearbook, News for Print, College Algebra, and many more!
ALL Applications are due February 9 by 3:00 PM
Herndon Career Center and STA Tours
- Students will have the opportunity to visit the Herndon Career Center on February 5th. Herdnon Career Center offers programs in the following career clusters: Transportation and logistics, Industrial Technology, Creative Sciences and Human Services. Interested students should pick up a permission slip from the Counseling Center. Permission slips are due back to the Counseling Center by February 2nd.
- Students will have the opportunity to visit Summit Technology Academy on February 6th. Summit Technology Academy offers programs for students in the areas of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Interested students should pick up a permission slip from the Counseling Center. Permission slips are due back to the Counseling Center by February 5th.
Off Campus Career Programs
Accuplacer Test- Seniors attending LVCC Fall'18
Reserve your seat! Sign up in the Counseling Center by January 29th!
At LSW: Math Tutoring (Room 1232) 6:30-7:25 am M, T, TR, F and 2:30-3:30 pm M, T, W, TR. English Tutoring (Room 2119) 2:30-3:30 pm M, T, W, Tr.
Khan Academy: Free, online tutoring for all levels math, science, and history.
Tutoring Available at Mid-Continent Public Library
Tutor.com: For those who may benefit from additional online tutoring, the Library offers free, real-time tutoring services in more than 25 academic subjects, including math, science, social studies, English, and foreign languages, through Tutor.com. In addition to live help, Tutor.com also provides complimentary standardized test preparation services. Watch this brief video to learn more.
Tutors for Hire (list provided by LSR7): Tutor List
Family Connections Spotlight
Naviance Test ACT Test Prep: This tool can be located on the student's Home Page. This free test prep program creates a study plan for students based on their anticipated test date, provides practice test, and a variety of study tools. Did we mention it is FREE!
LSR7 School Community Liaison/Social Work Services
LSWHS School Community Liaison: Christine Mize, LMSW ext.1420
The School Community Liaison's role is to link students and families with resources and provide support. If you would like to receive more information about how our School Community Liaison may be able to help you or your family, please feel free to complete our School Social Work Services Form or print off a downloadable form and turn it into your student’s counselor. Once it is received, our School Community Liaison will contact you.
Seniors: Have you met with your Counselor yet? It is not too late! Your Counselor can help you with your post-secondary planning: college applications, scholarship searches, and financial aid questions (FAFSA)!
College will start sending Financial Aid Packages to accepted students early to mid April.
Visit the colleges you are considering. More often than not, a campus visit helps students make their final decision as to which college they attend.
- Continue working on college applications. Don't wait for the "perfect" GPA or ACT Score. Most colleges will take ACT Scores and GPA updates after you have submitted your application.
- February 1: FAFSA Priority Deadline for Missouri- https://fafsa.ed.gov/. Students should complete the FAFSA even if you don't think you will qualify for grant money. You must also complete it to qualify for Federal Work Study, low interest/ delayed interest loans, and parent loans.
- SCHOLARSHIPS: http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/scholarships/
- Letters of Recommendation: Don't forget to give your counselor and teachers at least 3 weeks notice when requesting letters of recommendation. Also, submit an academic resume or a completed information sheet at the time of the request. http://lswhs.lsr7.org/counseling/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2015/12/CounselingCenterInformationSheet.pdf
ACT Dates and Prep Courses
- ACT Test Dates and Registration: actstudent.org
- NEW! ACT will offer a 7th test date starting July 2018.
- Family Connections- Students can log onto their Family Connections Account and access a wealth of free ACT Practice/Prep called "Naviance Test Prep".
- Students can take a course called "ACT Prep" as one of their elective classes at LSW. This class is a semester long class and offers content, test strategy, and test practice.
- After school ACT Prep Classes Offered in November, January, and March. The cost is $40. Flyers available in the Counseling Center. Register with Ms. Madden ext. 4003
A creation of the Kauffman Foundation, KC Scholars supports postsecondary achievement through scholarships, financial incentives to promote college savings, and support services for low and modest-income students and adults. More information can be found on their website http://www.kcscholars.org/about-kc-scholars/ Applications open January 1, 2018.
Sending Transcripts: Students must have a completed transcript release form on file with Ms. Madden before a transcript can be sent to a college, college coach, or otherwise. Hard copies of the release form are available in the Counseling Center or they can be accessed at- transcript release.
Seniors - How to request a transcript for a college application. Students needing a transcript sent for college applications need to do so using Family Connections. Click on the link for instructions. Family Connections Quick Guide to Requesting Transcripts.