October 3, 2021
Through an innovative learning community, Hopewell Elementary teaches the whole child by building trusting relationships, creating high expectations and celebrating differences.
Hopewell Elementary is a learning community dedicated to the success of every child.
Picture DAY-October 7th!
School Phone: 816-359-4410
Principal: Dr. Melissa Hensley
Assistant Principal: Dr. Megan Brethower
Administrative Assistant to the Principal: Debbie Rich
Administrative Assistant- Attendance: Marci Wettstein
Nurse Melissa Burghardt
If you need to make transportation changes, please contact the office prior to 3:00 pm. this will help the office ensure that dismissal goes smoothly and minimize the chance of possible miscommunication.
Important Upcoming Dates
- 6th Early Release-Dismissal 2:00 pm
- 7th Fall Picture Day
- 14th Mathletics Competition (Hopewell Teams at Hopewell-more information to come
from club sponsors about guest attendance)
- 14th Board of Education Meeting
- 18th David Kilpatrick Parent Night (focus on Reading Research and Dyslexia) 6:00-7:30 pm Park Hill South Auditorium
- 19th PTA Meeting 6 pm Hopewell Cafeteria
- 21st Fall Classroom Parties (more information to come)
- 22nd NO SCHOOL for Students (End of Quarter Teacher Work Day)
- 26th 5th Grade Musical 6:30 pm Hopewell Gym
- 28th Board of Education Meeting
- 3rd Parent-Teacher Conferences
- 4th NO SCHOOL: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- 5th NO SCHOOL
- 9th 4th Grade Musical 6:30 pm Hopewell Gym
District-Wide Family Reading Information Night
When: Monday, October 18
Where: Park Hill South Auditorium
4500 River Park Dr, Riverside, MO 64150
Time: 6 - 7:30 p.m.
This is a Title I parent engagement activity to support the parent/school connection in the area of reading research and Dyslexia.
Our goal is to share this important information with parents and guardians and we do not want child care to be a barrier. While children are welcome to attend, this is not an interactive child-friendly session. This session is designed to support parents and provide the most current research on reading development.
PTA Spirit Wear!
PTA is sponsoring another spirit wear event. Check out the link below to preorder your shirts or sweatshirts!
Our PTA does an amazing job supporting our Hawk community. We want to encourage you to join our PTA. The PTA is comprised of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of family engagement in schools.
Personal membership: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/personal-memberships
Business membership: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/business-memberships
Staff membership: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/staff-membership-57738
NEW Birthday or Classroom Treats
New Birthday Treat Guidelines
Because of food and labor shortages, our Nutrition Services department can no longer provide birthday treats after Friday, Sept. 17.
If you already ordered treats, we will be able to fill orders that were scheduled to go out this week.
We apologize for the inconvenience, but we must cancel any birthday treat orders that were scheduled to go out on Monday, Sept. 20 or later. If you need a refund, please let us know by calling the Nutrition Services department at 816-359-4090.
Approved Birthday Treats:
We will start allowing families to send birthday treats if they want to do so, as long as they come from our list of treats that contain none of the major allergens.
Thank you for understanding that all classroom treats must come from this list, because we do not have the staff capacity to check for allergens that could threaten the health of some students.
Please bring birthday treats ahead of time (two hours after the start of school, at the latest).
· Crazy straws
· Blow Pops
· Juice boxes
· Dum Dum lollipops
· Jelly Belly
· Ring Pops
· Sour Patch Kids
· Swedish Fish
· Life Saver Gummies
Curriculum Connections for October
Check out the linked Curriculum Connections below to see what our Roadrunners will be working on in each subject area in September! We want to share the learning topics at all of the grade levels so that you are familiar with what topics and content are taught this month! Your child's teacher is always happy to provide more details should you have questions!
Bus and Car Rider Lanes
Arrival and Dismissal
- Students may arrive at 8:50 am. Students may not enter earlier unless attending a before school club, because there is not adult supervision until 8:50 am.
- As soon as busses and car riders arrive at 8:50 am, they may go straight to their classroom or stop at the cafeteria for breakfast.
- Breakfast is served from 8:50 to 9:10 am.
- Instruction begins at 9:10 am.
- We begin dismissal at 3:50 pm to allow for student travel time within the building for our 4:00 pm dismissal. For example, car rider students walk to the cafeteria for dismissal and Adventure Club to the gym.
- Please remember the first several days of school dismissal will take longer. We doublecheck all bus rosters and placards for car riders.
- The first day of school each family will receive a placard. Whoever is picking up the child should have this placard to ensure the safety of our children.
- As you arrive in the morning, there will be one car line with staff members assisting students exiting from cars. Please wait for a staff member to assist your student before they get out of the car.
- At dismissal, there will be a double lane of cars to help expedite pick up.
- Bus information will be available in the parent portal on Tuesday, August 17th.
- Masks are to be worn on the bus.
Change of Transportation
Please have any change of transportation called into the office no later than 3:00 pm. This is to help ensure accurate communication in a timely manner.
Breakfast and Lunch Information
The Park Hill School District participates in the National School Lunch and Breakfast program, which is a UDSA (United States Department of Agriculture) program. Currently, the USDA has approved a 2021-22 waiver which allows all children 0-18 in the Park Hill district boundaries to receive free breakfast and lunch daily while school is in session. We have more details here.
For more information about school lunch, please visit the link below: