AIDS And HIV
What Are AIDS And HIV?
HIV stands for human immunodeficiency virus.The virus compromises the body's ability to handle diseases and causes aids.It is a slow process and positive people may not have symptoms for over a decade.
AIDS stands for acquired immune deficiency syndrome.It is the final stage of HIV disease,which causes severe damage to the immune system.
Facts about AIDS and HIV
- In southern Africa, the average life expectancy is 48 years old.
- Out of 34 million HIV-positive people world wide, 69% live in sub-Saharan Africa and there is about 23.8 million infected in Africa.
- AIDS where tracked back to chimpanzees and small African monkeys.
- The earliest confirmed case of AIDS in humans came from the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- HIV-1 is the most common human immunodeficiency virus;HIV-2 is mostly found in Western Africa.
- 1 in 4 people,ages 15-49 years old is infected with HIV is Sub Saharan Africa.
- Over 1,700 AIDS related death each day in Sub Saharan Africa.
How HIV and AIDS Affects people
- When a family member gets sick with HIV, the family often sells most of their belonging in order to provide health care.
- In relationships, HIV may reveal aspects of a persons behavior that they may have wanted to keep private.
- May change someone's sexual orientation.
- HIV destroys cells that are vital to the immune system
The red ribbon stands for HIV And AIDS