May Flyer Family Update
Franklin Elementary STEAM Magnet School Newsletter
- For Translation -
Click on "Translate Newsletter" and select language of choice to translate letter.
*Arriba de esta pagina haga click "Translate Newsletter" y seleccione el idioma "SPANISH".
*Nhấp vào "dịch Newsletter " và chọn ngôn ngữ của sự lựa chọn để dịch thư "VIETNAMESE"*
Our School Vision
Weaving science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics into daily instruction using hands on learning and exploration! Our vision: All students grow to become critical thinkers, problem solvers and confident global citizens who positively impact our world. Franklin Elementary STEAM Magnet-Home of Innovators, Scholars and Leaders!
Message from Mrs. Wood
There is no school on Monday, 5/29/23, in observance of Memorial Day.
Our fifth graders did an excellent job in their performance of The Lion King Kids! Thank you to all who were able to be a part of the performance from our students in grades 3 & 4 who participated in the chorus, our families and staff who volunteered during the event and all of our families and friends who attended the performances. A BIG thank you to Mrs. Singleton and Mr. Froehbrodt for all of their hard work!!
Our next and final Family Wednesday of the school year is on Wednesday, 5/31/23 at 7:50AM in the auditorium and classroom visits are from 8:20-8:40AM. Also, our final Franklin Flyer Rally is this Friday, 6/2/23 at 7:50AM on the field.
Please see the important information below.
State Testing in Progress
The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments are part of the state testing system called the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress or CAASPP. The CAASPP System is designed to promote high-quality teaching and learning by giving information to teachers, students, and their families about what students know and can do. This information is just one piece in understanding a student’s readiness for college and career.
Please help us by making sure your student:
brings a fully-charged Chromebook to school each and every day.
arrives at school on-time (7:50 a.m.) so that they are able to test with their classroom peers and not interrupt the testing session.
gets a good night's sleep
eats a healthy breakfast each morning - a reminder that students can order a breakfast from school every afternoon to eat the next morning at home
brings a refillable water bottle to school - we have water filling stations at school that the students can use to refill their water bottles throughout the day
For more information on the CAASPP, please visit these links:
Thank you so much for your continued support,
Volunteers Needed :)
Hello Franklin Families!
We are reaching out to ask for volunteers for several fun upcoming events. Your contributions help to make these events a success! Please indicate with which duties below you are willing to help by replying to this email or reaching out directly to Monica Kramer @ (619) 316-9513.
Friday, June 9th 7:30am-12:00pm Field Day at Franklin:
- Need 4 volunteers to plan activities and gather materials beforehand: - organizing materials mid-May at the latest in case donations needed (usually during/after school hours w/ Custodian/PE teacher)
- plan the activities which can be taken from a list of games done previously
- Need 17-24 volunteers on the day of the event to:
- clear the field and set up games before 8 am
- to run 8 game stations during two 75-80 min sessions ( 8:30- 9:50 am is UTK-2, 10:00-11:15 am is 2nd-5th grade)
- a coordinator/emcee to keep track of time and keep the event on schedule as the classes move from station to station throughout the event (7:30am-12pmcommitment).
- clean up field afterward so kids can use it for lunch recess *Experienced mentors from previous year events will be available to help guide and assist
Franklin Elementary PTA, VP of Volunteering
Summer Enrichment Programs
The San Diego Unified School District has once again partnered with the San Diego Foundation to provide UTK-8 enrichment programming. Programming will vary in interest including, but not limited to:
- Outdoor & Nature
- Sports & Fitness
- Art & Music
- Reading & Writing
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN...ALL FAMILIES HAVE RECEIVED A TEXT MESSAGE TO REGISTER!
Visit Level Up Enrichment Opportunities for more information or contact the Call Center -
CALL CENTER -
Families may contact the district’s summer Level Up Enrichment program call center beginning March 20 to have their questions answered. The call center will be open Monday through Thursday with revised hours from 2:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. and the following Saturdays March 25, April 1, April 15, April 22 from 8:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Families can contact the call center by dialing 858-810-7310.
* * * * 2023-2024 PRIMETIME * * * *
23-24 Primetime Registration is now open!
Andrea Adams, School Counselor, Franklin Elementary
Ms, Andrea's Google Voice : 619-432-5642/ Email : email@example.com
Community One Pager
Hoover Cluster Future Meeting Date: June 5, 2023
* Next Family Wednesday, May 31, 2022. is at 7:50 a.m. in the auditorium and classroom visits are from 8:20-8:40 a.m.
Family Events Calendar:
- - -
About Our School Committees & Education Partner Groups: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sdF-SWTn7V5zagjQiOWGDoERQGj4m3WKGrM6TYR7itE/edit?usp=sharing
- - -
Morning Drop Off Reminder
A friendly reminder that school begins at 7:50 a.m. and gates will close promptly at the start of school.
Families can drop off as early as 7:30 a.m. —please drop off early or park in the neighborhood and walk to campus before 7:45 to avoid the traffic.
Students arriving after 7:50 need to check into the office for a late slip.
Thank you for your understanding.
Drop-Off & Pick-Up Reminders
A Reminder to all Families at Drop Off and Pick Up to be mindful of pedestrians.
Families, in order to have less congestion during morning drop off, our arrival window is from 7:30-7:45 a.m. Families can drop off their children at the entrance gate as early as 7:30 a.m. for them to walk directly to the field for Jog/Walking Club.
At 7:45 a.m., students walk directly to their classrooms as school begins at 7:50 a.m.
If you are dropping off or picking up your child(ren) by vehicle, here are some important procedures that will keep our entire community safe and happy:
Drivers… Please DO
- use the loading zone and wait your turn
- continue to pull all the way forward
- be a good neighbor and citizen
- have your child use the crosswalk to cross the street
- Note: Cars can drop off at Gates 1 & 3 --we ask that parents stay in their car and keep moving forward.
Drivers… Please DON’T
- swoop into the loading zone, cutting off cars that have been waiting in line
- park or wait in red zones, driveways
- have your children to cross the street between car
- wait in front of your child’s gate - keep moving forward
- stop to talk to teachers/parents
- double park
- make illegal u-turns in the middle of the street
SDUSD MATH PLACEMENT POLICY - FEEDBACK REQUESTED
Previous Franklin Family Updates
Here is the folder of all the docs, notes, handouts, and presentations from our Hoover Cluster Council meeting. Please feel free to share the resources with those who may need them or benefit from them.