Family News from the Nest
English Landing Elementary School
Friday, February 9, 2018
Student Led Conferences! Eagles SOAR!
What's Happening at English Landing Elementary School?
Monday, February 12, 2018
- C Day: Specials' Rotation
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
- D Day: Specials' Rotation
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
- A Day: Specials' Rotation
- English Landing Spirit Wear Day (Wear school spirit, school colors and jeans)
- Second Grade Musical Dress Rehearsal - Gym (12:15-12:45 pm)
- PTA Classroom Friendship Parties (2:00-3:00 pm)
Thursday, February 15, 2018
- B Day: Specials' Rotation
- CoGat Testing Day - Second Grade (9:00 am) and Third Grade (10:15)
- Second Grade Musical Evening Performance - Gym (7:00-8:00 pm)
- Second Grade Families: Second Grade Students need to report to their classroom between 6:45pm and 6:55pm. If you arrive to English Landing earlier than 6:45pm, please have your child sit with you in the GYM until it is time to walk to the classroom. Thank you!
Friday, February 16, 2018
- C Day: Specials' Rotation
- LAST Day to Order a Student and Staff Basketball Game T-Shirt!
WASH YOUR HANDS…
It’s been a busy week in the health room! Our top priority is keeping our Eagles healthy so I wanted to update you on the conditions we’re seeing and the best ways to contain germs. J
- Vomiting/Diarrhea – Students must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning to school. If a child is sent home for vomiting and/or diarrhea, they may not return the following school day.
- Influenza – We have had confirmed cases in the school. In following the guidance of the CDC, please stay home until your child is fever-free for at least 24-hours without medication. There are lingering symptoms that are associated with influenza. Please keep your child home (even if they are fever-free) for uncontrolled coughing or other symptoms that would distract your student, classmates, and teachers from the learning process.
- Strep – A student should not return to school until 24 hours after antibiotic treatment begins and the student is fever-free.
In general, use good judgement with your student. If they are contagious, please don’t send them to school. We will get through this cold and flu season! Thank you for working with us to help keep our kiddos healthy!
First Grade and Fifth Grade Eagles SOAR in Learning
Scholastic Book Fair FUN in the Media Center!
HOME LEARNING CHAMPIONS for January!
Congratulations to our Fourth Grade EAGLES who are the January Home Learning Champions! Not only did they win this month, but they have the HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of the 2017-2018 school year!
Way to go, Fourth Grade Eagles!
PLEASE VISIT IN FEBRUARY FOR A CAREER SHARE CLASSROOM VISIT!
If you would like to sign up for a FEBRUARY Career Share please see the below links for each grade level. We will continue to publish a Career Share calendar link each month to help meet the goal of EVERY eagle having at least one parent or family member visit for a Career Share during the 2017-2018 school year. Thanks!
NEA Learning and Leadership Grant Winner - Ms. Mehwald
Earlier this school year, Ms. Mehwald, English Landing Kindergarten Teacher, applied and then received a NEA (National Education Association) Learning & Leadership Grant in the amount of $2,000.00.
The NEA Learning and Leadership grants are designed for educators to expand their professional development opportunities so educators are able to participate in high-quality professional development including summer institutes, national conferences, seminars, travel abroad programs, or action research.
Ms. Mehwald will be using this grant that she was awarded to fund her attendance at an upcoming national conference, Ms. Mehwald will be attending The Learning and Brain Conference on Science of Innovation: INSPIRING INNOVATIVE STUDENTS AND SCHOOLS which will be held in San Francisco, California.
Some of the highlights of this conference include:
- Explore the brain science of innovation, creativity, and curiosity
- Discover the academic benefits of mindfulness and mind wandering
- Teach innovation with technology, design thinking, and improvisation
- Examine the brain science of creative thinking, reflection, and daydreaming
- Apply an innovator's mindset to students, teachers, professors, and leaders
- Discover how to inspire kids, create innovative schools, and promote change
- Explain the creative mindsets of creative geniuses and innovative teachers
- Connect creativity and visualization to dyslexia, math, and STEM education
- Investigate the brain science and power of play, literacy, and storytelling
- Examine ways to promote risk-taking, imagination, and critical thinking
- Use technology, collaboration, making, and art for creative classrooms
COMING SOON.... Student and Staff Basketball Game!
Last Chance to Order T-Shirts!!!
Order Forms are due Friday, February 16, 2018
DELIVERIES TO STUDENTS WHILE AT SCHOOL
An important reminder as the question often comes up…Can I have flowers/balloons/etc. delivered to English Landing for my child on Valentine’s Day?
As listed in the Parent/Student Handbook on page 20, deliveries of flowers, balloons or other gift items to school is discouraged due to several reasons. Any item that is not for class or lunch and is delivered to the school will be held in the office until after school. Flowers, balloons, glass items, etc. will NOT be allowed on the bus per safety issues. Parents/guardians will have to pick up the item in the school office before 4:00 p.m.
Therefore, to avoid frustration and disappointment, please do NOT have items delivered to our school office…especially for Valentine’s Day and/or birthdays. Thank you for your support in maintaining an orderly and safe environment for our students.
Park Hill High School's Family Dance Event
Spring Picture Day is Coming!
Spring Picture Day is scheduled for Thursday, March 1, 2018. English Landing's Picture Day ID is KM487004Q0. All orders will be online. Please go to mylifetouch.com to order and for more information.
Do you have an English Landing PTA Cookbook filled with DELICIOUS recipes?
We have PTA Cookbooks for sale in the English Landing Office for just $15.00 each. Stop by to purchase one today! Thanks!
Remaining 2017-2018 Grade Level Musicals
Second Grade: Thursday, February 15th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “School Daze”
First Grade: Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “The Bear Went Over the Mountain”
Kindergarten: Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 at 7:00pm: “The Little Red Hen”
Please Note New Date for Kindergarten Music Program
Musical NEWS Found on Music Room Facebook Page!
Looking for Future Kindergarten Students!
Save the Date! Kindergarten Roundup on April 30, 2018
Enroll Your Kindergartner Today, Then Mark Your Calendar for the Kindergarten Roundup Event
Families with children entering kindergarten in the Park Hill School District in August 2018 may enroll now by visiting English Landing Elementary School between 7:45 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday on days when school is in session. Children who turn five on or before July 31 are eligible for kindergarten for the 2018-2019 school year.
Parents will need to bring their children’s certified, state-issued birth certificate, immunization records and two proofs of residency to enroll. One proof of residency must be a current paid real estate tax receipt, a lease or mortgage agreement, or a new construction contract. The other should be an original and current gas, electric or water bill on which the name and address are provided.
After you enroll, mark your calendar for the Kindergarten Roundup event at English Landing Elementary School on Monday, April 30. Our Kindergarten Roundup is an Open House format (5:30pm-7:00pm). Parents and students will get a sneak peak of our school, tour the building, ask questions and get to know the staff.
School Store Hours (Front Lobby)
Park Hill Star Award
Our employees are the reason we are so successful here in the Park Hill School District, and we would like to recognize them for all they do for our students.
That is why we present the Park Hill Star award once a month to a pre-K or elementary teacher, a secondary teacher and a support employee.
Anyone can nominate an employee for this award by using the form below. It asks you to share how your nominee demonstrates our district values of continuous improvement, high expectations, integrity, visionary leadership and student focus. You can also share how your nominee supports the goals in our district’s strategic plan.
Please nominate a Park Hill Star today!
Park Hill Star nomination form
English Landing Office Contact Information
SAVE THE DATE - Early Release Dates
English Landing Eagles S-O-A-R! Each Eagle...Every Day!
Building Successful Futures - Each Student - Every Day
English Landing Vision
Our vision is that all English Landing students will meet grade level expectations and demonstrate responsible citizenship.
English Landing Values
1. We will embrace a welcoming climate.
2. Safety will be a priority.
3. Students and staff will strive for excellence.
4. We will promote collaboration and community involvement.
5. Our school will model life skills.
6. Diverse cultures will be respected.
7. We will practice positive communication.
8. Our school will encourage leadership.
English Landing Strategic Focus Areas