Compass Classroom News
November 13, 2014
- November 13 is an early release day. Dismissal begins at 1:15.
- November 14 - No School for Students
- November 17-21 Book Fair
- November 26 - 28 No School
- December 10 - Special Education Winter Event 6pm - 8pm
Skills We Are Working On
- Beginning with the end in mind
- Being a problem solver
- Being a good friend
- Having a growth mindset
- Reading fluency
- Sight word reading
- Individual goal tracking. Right now we are tracking math and behavior
- Small group science - light
- Small group social studies - citizenship
- Metacognition (thinking about your thinking) and Schema (everything you already know)
- Making Connections
- Following the writing process
- 6 Traits of Writing - especially Ideas and Organization
- Writing a personal narrative
- Third and fourth graders have been working on answering right there questions (the answers are right there in the text)
- Addition and subtraction fact fluency
What to Expect Next Week
- Revising and Editing in the Writing Process
- Continuing to work on all the above skills
Red Schedule: An Update
Next Week's Specials Rotation
Monday - P.E.Tuesday - Art
Wednesday - Leadership Skills
Thursday - Music
Friday - P.E.
Show and Tell
Students will bring the items to school, share them with their classmates in the Compass Classroom, and then invite a friend from their grade level classroom to share with them.
We are still sending home daily sheets that state your child's color and percentage of points for the day.
Our Goals for Students
1. We want them to be safe.
2. We want them to make friends.
3. We want them to learn.
It is important to us to have high, but realistic, expectations for students. We want them to get to be with their grade level class as much as possible - when they are ready. This timeline is different for each child in our class. Our school district's mission is "Preparing EACH student for a successful and meaningful life." This is something we are all striving and working for.