Jaguar Band Newsletter
Your Place for JHS Jaguar Band News
In this week's newsletter
- Important Summer Notes (Please note Updated Info for Open Band Hall days)
- What's Happening this Month (June 2022)
- The Breakdown Camp
- Get Involved! (Important Volunteer Information)
- Color Guard Corner
- DCI Tour Premier on the Big Screen
- Rookie Parents (And Those of Us Who Need a Friendly Reminder!)
- Save These Dates (Picture Day!)
- Replacement Shoes
- Stay Strong and Healthy for Summer Band!
- Jag Band & Guard Photos
- Support Johnson Jaguar Band!
- Stay Connected!
important Summer Notes
Open Band Hall--UPDATED June 3, 2022
The band hall will be open Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. All open band hall days and times are now listed on the Johnson Band Calendar. Any large student-led sectionals need to be communicated at least one day in advance to Mr. Lucita. This is to ensure that a Director is there for safety and logistical concerns. Individuals do not need to communicate in advance. We are thrilled to have had many students already taking advantage of this program and hope that more will continue. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.
All Band and Guard families: Please don't forget to pay your 2022 - 23 Fees
Fees are used to help purchase summer and competition uniforms! Please visit our website to pay 2022 - 23 Band, Guard and School Instrument Fees. We have been able to maintain the same guard fees as last year.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS MONTH (JUNE 2022)
June 13 - 16, 20 & 23
Open Band Hall
Jaguar Band Jam #1: A Family Event (5 - 9 p.m. @ JHS Band Hall)
ALL Jaguar Band wind, percussion and guard students and their families are invited for a night of fun! The first Jaguar Band Jam will be this Tuesday, June 14, from 5 - 9 p.m. at JHS Band Hall. Students will practice their football stand tunes together and the color guard will practice their stand routines while we set up for a fun evening of food and friends and get to know each other! Our first Jaguar Band Jam dinner will be "Potluck be a Lady"!
Please sign up HERE to contribute. Let's make sure this first of three Jams is a memorable one! See you soon!
June 21 - 22
Student Leadership Team (SLT) Camp (9 a.m. - 3 p.m. @ JHS Band Hall)
The Breakdown Camp (June 21st AND June 22nd*, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. @ JHS)
* Please note only the 21st was previously listed but this is a 2-day camp
Check out the Jaguar Band featured on their home page! https://thebreakdowncamp.com/
This camp is FREE for all JHS incoming 9th - 12th grade band and guard students. The $300 per student fee is paid by the JHS Band. Be sure to wear athletic shoes, shorts and your white “Property of Johnson Band” t-shirt. Freshman and new to Johnson band members, will receive their shirt the first day of the Breakdown Camp.
Color Guard Spin Camp (12 - 3pm)
*this is not mandatory but highly recommended
June 24 - July 9
Band Hall / Gyms Closed (re-doing floors)
The Breakdown Camp
June 21, 4 - 8 p.m. @ JHS
Be sure to wear athletic shoes, shorts and your white “Property of Johnson Band” t-shirt. Freshman and new to Johnson band members, will receive their shirt the first day of the Breakdown Camp.
This camp is FREE for all JHS incoming 9th - 12th grade band and guard students. The $300 per student fee is covered by the JHS Band.
Have you signed up to volunteer yet?
We need you to help us get organized for what will be an amazing year! Here are some upcoming opportunities to come find out more!
Feed our Jags! If you are interested in helping us feed our students, please join us on Monday evening, June 13, at 6:30pm, address is on the calendar: 145 Coach Drive.
Fundraising our jOURney to Nationals! Interested in or have skill sets that can help us raise the funds we need for Nationals? Meet with like minds on June 22, from 6:30 - 8pm, at the JHS Band Hall.
Complete our Committee Interest Form to be informed on upcoming committee meetings as they begin: https://form.jotform.com/221345018736150
Join the Band Boosters: https://www.johnsonbands.com/product-page/2022-2023-booster-membership
Color Guard Corner
- Color Guard Spin Camps are on the Charms google calendar. Please know that these classes are not mandatory but highly recommended.
- Please note the following:
- This week's spin camp on Thursday, June 16, will take place in the band hall, not the foyer or cafeteria.
- Spin Days for the week of the 20th (Week of Breakdown camp) have been changed! Spin Camp will not be Thursday and Friday but on Wednesday afternoon, June 22, from 12 - 3pm.
- Please make sure your student eats before attending Spin Camps. We highly encourage you to send snacks with your student and ensure they are bringing a water bottle! Even indoors, guard work is a workout!
- Don't forget to mark your calendar for the first Color Guard Parent meeting June 21, from 6:30 - 8pm. It's a very important one!
Rookie and Returning Parents: Registration and Replacement Shoes
- Rank One forms (only do one time for both athletics and band)
- Parent Information Form
- 8 Hour UIL Form
- Physical (requires dr signature) Email to Tracye prior to start of summer band.
Returning band students who need replacement marching shoes but missed ordering prior to the June 6th deadline: please order your own shoes via one of the vendors below as Ms. Mendez will not be placing another order for fall. Marching shoes are DSI-9001 Viper Marching Band Shoes in black.
DCI Tour Premier on the Big Screen
Drum Corps International (DCI) is known as marching music's "major league". Band and guard students up to the age of 21 audition for corps located across the nation to compete in the DCI circuit. The DCI competition circuit takes place during the summer months ending with the Championship in August. DCI is also the place that influences the standard judges expect to see at high school marching band competitions. Watching DCI helps students and parents have a better understanding of what we are trying to achieve with our own marching show production:
If you would like to see the debut of the 2022 DCI season on a big screen, Fathom Events will show it on June 28th, 7:30 pm in 3 theaters in this area. Buy your movie tickets HERE.
SAVE THESE DATES!
July 11 - 14 & 18 - 21
Open Band Hall
Summer Band Jam (5 - 9 p.m. @ JHS Band Hall)
DCI San Antonio
July 25 & 26
Percussion Camp (@ JHS Band Hall)
SLT Camp (@ JHS Band Hall)
Summer Band Begins
Picture Day for the 2022-2023 Jaguar Band!
* On this date, students will be assigned their band uniforms (using measurements taken previously) and will take their formal pictures.
* Students who do not take their pictures on this date will not have their pictures in time to be featured in the Football Programs.
Sign Up for time slots and additional information will be coming soon. Questions can be directed to Carmen Sifuentes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Replacement Marching Shoes
Returning band students who need replacement marching shoes but missed ordering prior to the June 6th deadline, please order your own shoes as Ms. Mendez will not be placing another order for fall. Marching shoes are DSI-9001 Viper Marching Band Shoes in black.
STAY STRONG AND HEALTHY FOR SUMMER BAND!
Here is your first one! https://youtu.be/zuBzv3kDTPI
This exercise is for ALL color guard and band members. Shoulder/rotator cuff injuries are very common, especially with guard work. This exercise will help strengthen that shoulder girdle and add some protection. This exercise can be completed daily as part of your warm up. Go slow and under control. 1: Keep the palm facing up as you rotate. ( THIS IS THE HARDEST PART) Try your best to stand straight 2: Start with light weights (1 - 2 pounds). Don’t go any heavier than 5 to start. Stand straight. 3: Rotate inward for 5 reps then outward for 5 ( this is 1 set). Stand straight. 4: Complete 3 sets for each arm. Stand straight 5: Practice using a small paper plate to get form correct (FORM IS CRITICAL) 6: Stand straight.
Jag Band & Guard Photos
Support Johnson Jaguar Band!
Join the Johnson Jaguar Band Boosters!
Subscribe to Fly a Flag! Show your National Pride AND support the Johnson High School Band! The Johnson Band Boosters are offering a US Flag Subscription service! For national holidays a 3’ x 5’ flag on a pole will be placed in your front yard. The flags will be installed at least one day before the holiday and will be removed after the holiday (length of display will vary depending on when the holiday occurs). A one-year subscription to the Fly A Flag Program is $52. At this time, this service is only being offered in the Johnson High School attendance zone.
SHOP!Amazon Smile: Support the Johnson Jaguar Band & Guard by shopping at Amazon Smile!
Scrip Gift Cards: Shop gift cards from 750+ top brands like Amazon, HEB, Starbucks, Walmart, Home Depot and the band program earns on things you buy!
Corporate Sponsorship: Corporate sponsorships are a fantastic way for local businesses to support the Jaguar Band AND raise awareness about your company in our community. . There are several different levels of sponsorship available each with its own unique incentives. Download our brochure or click on the image to explore the various tax-deductible options available.
- Save our website -www.johnsonbands.com
- Find copies of our Jaguar Band Newsletters at: https://www.johnsonbands.com/newsletter
- Sync to the Band Google Calendar: https://www.johnsonbands.com/calendar
- Sign up for 2022 Remind - Instructions here https://www.johnsonbands.com/get-connected
- Like our Facebook Page https://www.johnsonbands.com/get-connected
- Get Connected: Remind App, JHS Band Calendar, Photos & Newsletters. We're also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!