Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week in Band at PMMS (Dec 21-23, 2020)
A Note From Mr. Gleason
Yet, in the midst of my self-doubt and angst, YOUR children have shown me grace and compassion. YOUR children have given me permission to make mistakes, learn, and grow as an educator. Don't get me wrong, most days I still sign-off Zoom feeling like a first-year teacher all over again. However, I know YOUR children have my back and are willing....no eager, to take that next step together.
I, along with my colleagues, are appreciative of your continued support of your child's music education. It would have been very easy this past year to drop band from your child's schedule. We appreciate your trust and encouragement and will continue to do whatever it takes to make this class nothing short of life-changing for your child.
Wishing you safe and happy holidays. Here's to 2021!
This Week's Plan
- In class on Monday and Tuesday, 6th and 7th grade band students will join forces with Choir and Orchestra to do a collaborative project. On Monday music students will recreate the story of the "Three Little Bears" using musical sounds performed on their instrument. On Tuesday, music students will combine to play an online Kahoot game based on musical concepts. Band students should plan to come to band at their normal time, however, they should use Mr. Gleason's Zoom Room Link.
- We will not have regularly scheduled lessons. Instead, students can sign up for an extra lesson on Wednesday by typing their name into this schedule and then coming to the appropriate link at their time.
- 7th Grade Jazz WILL take place as scheduled on Tuesday
6th Grade Jazz Sign-up
The Best Is Yet To Come
The PERFECT Gift For Your Child (and it is under $5)
Another Gift Idea -- Private Lessons!
Looking For More Music To Play?
7th Grade Solo Project Started
Your child will record their solo and turn it in for a grade by January 15. There is an optional (but recommended) online solo festival sponsored by the Wisconsin School Music Association (WSMA) that your child can participate in as well. The fee is around $9 per entry. More information about this will be coming out in future newsletters.
PMMS Band Solo Timeline (all 7th graders required to do it)
Nov 16-20: Select Solo in lessons
Nov 23-24: No lessons
Dec 21-23: No lessons
Jan 15: Solo Recordings Due
Jan 19-21: Solos graded and shared prior to the end of the quarter.
Those interested in WSMA Festival (optional)
Jan 12: Registration Form Sent To Students
Feb 12: Registration and Video Recording for the WSMA Festival Due
Feb 19: Payment Due In Infinite Campus*
Feb 23: Student Performance Uploaded to WSMA (fee must be paid)April 16: Evaluations Completed and Returned to Student
*Entry fee is approximately $9. If finances are a concern, please contact Mr. Gleason
Where Can We Find Information About Band This Year?
1. This newsletter will be sent every Sunday afternoon. It will contain the plan for the week, updates on classwork, and special events or opportunities.
2. Our PMMS Band Website will have weekly lesson plans, resources, links, and our weekly lesson schedule. I will also keep links to all of our newsletters on this website if you ever need to look for something shared previously but lost it in your inbox. Consider the website as the "go to" place to find out information this year.