Elementary Science Virtual PD
Shifting to the NGSS for Elementary School Teachers
Calling all PK-5 Science Educators
Come Join Us For a Science Professional Development Opportunity
Are you working to enhance your knowledge, understanding, and implementation of the Kansas Standards for Science?
Professional Development Opportunity Overview
The Kansas Department of Education is partnering with the National Science Teachers Association to provide an online PD opportunity for PK-5 Kansas science educators across the state.
KSDE and NSTA have developed a four-week online book study around the Enhanced E-book: Discover the NGSS: Primer and Unit Planner. This enhanced e-book offers a comprehensive introduction to the NGSS, including background information, analysis of the three dimensions of the standards, and steps to move educators toward classroom implementation. Many expert elementary science educators from across the country will be all hands on deck to help serve all PK-5 science educators through this opportunity.
During the online book study, educators will attend live web seminars and participate in asynchronous discussions with other Kansas/national participants and with the web seminar presenters from NSTA and KSDE. The web seminars support the use of the enhanced e-book to deepen participant understanding of the innovations of the NGSS. NSTA elementary presenters will also share examples and stories from the classrooms across the U.S. to illustrate HOW this understanding can be used to translate our Kansas Standards for Science into classroom teaching and learning.
Program Dates & Times
The four live web seminars are scheduled from 6:15-7:45 pm Central Time on the dates below (all Tuesdays):
- February 12, 26 & March 12, 26
- Certificate of participation will be provided per completion of the study
- Additional requirements if you choose the graduate credit opportunity
Additional Details & Associated Fees
- All registration fees to NSTA have been sponsored by KSDE
- You will need to purchase a copy of the Enhanced NSTA E-book: Discover the NGSS and ask your school district for assistance. (~$69.95)
- You will receive 6.0 hours of direct online professional development from national and state leaders in science education (web seminars)
- Each web seminar follows a section of the e-book and homework questions will follow each web seminar to prepare you for the next session (~2.5 hours of outside work)
- Additional online support will be provided by state leaders through an online platform to support your direct and indirect online professional learning throughout the sessions
- Additional outside learning time and support will be provided for the one graduate credit hour opportunity through Baker University