OCTOBER PARENT NEWSLETTER
MJH 2020-2021 Theme: #TogetherWeWill
- 1:8th volleyball home at Montgomery High School large gym 4:30 & 5:30 p.m.
- 5:7th football home @ OHJH filed/Choir fundraiser week begins
- 5:World Anti-Bully Day - Blue Up - everyone wear BLUE today!
- 8:PTO Zoom Meeting 8:45 a.m./7th V-Ball home at MHS 4:30 & 5:30 p.m.
- 9: Student Holiday
- 12:District Holiday - Columbus Day
- 13:Jr. High Volleyball Night at MHS
- 14:2nd 6 weeks progress report
- 14:Cheer parent meeting at 5:00 p.m in the cafeteria
- 15:7th volleyball game home game - Dig Pink 4:30, 5:30 p.m. (venue TBA)
- 15:Scoliosis test for all 7th grade girls/Breast Cancer Awareness Day - Wear Pink
- 16:Scoliosis test for all 7th grade girls
- 19:Scoliosis test for all 7th grade girls in 8th grade
- 20:8th football home @ Oak Hills JH football field
- 20:Scoliosis test for all 7th grade girls in 8th grade
- 21:Unity Day - Wear Orange
- 22:8th volleyball home - Dig Pink
- 26:Red Ribbon Week - Dress up days all week
- 26:7th gr. football home at MHS Stadium 4:30, 5:30, 6:30 p.m.
- 28:Fall pictures for in-person students only (Remote student pics on Dec 9)
- 29:7th volleyball home 4:30, 5:30 p.m.
- 30:Students/teachers wear costumes for Freaky Friday & grade level costume contest!
A Note from our Counselors
On Wednesday, November 18, the PSAT 8/9 test will be offered at Montgomery Jr. High School. Any 8th grade student may participate in this optional testing opportunity, and the fee to take this test is $20.00. Test registration and payment options are available through MySchoolBucks from October 1-October 14, 2020. (MySchoolBucks:https://www.myschoolbucks.com)
More information on the attached flyers to this school messenger.
Barbara Gagliano: Students with last names A-K
Tressie Stewart-Students with last names L-Z
A Note from the Librarian:
Parents, we still have 49 student laptops out that were borrowed during remote learning. Please have your student bring those back to school asap. We also have hundreds of library books that have not been brought back to school since remote learning. I have sent a note to your child letting them know if they have a book out. They can not check out another book until their book is brought back or paid for.
Remote learners: Library curbside book pickup is still up and running. Please call or email Mrs. Smith (936-276-3367 or email@example.com) to check out books.
The Book club and the Harry Potter club have now started. Please watch the school website for more information.
RETURNING LIBRARY BOOKS:
· Librarian: Shelley Smith
· Office #: 936-276-3367
A Note from our Nurse:
Montgomery Junior High School will be conducting spinal screenings Oct. 15 and 16, 2020 for 7th grade GIRLS and Oct. 19 and 20, 2020 for 8th grade BOYS. The purpose of spinal screening is to detect signs of abnormal curves of the spine at their earliest stages so that the need for treatment can be determined.
The procedure for screening is simple. Screeners, who have been specially trained, will look at your child’s back at several angles while he/she stands and then bends forward. For this examination, boys and girls will be seen separately and individually with the screener. STUDENTS SHOULD WEAR A TIGHT FITTING SHIRT ON THESE DAYS AND GIRLS MAY CHOOSE TO WEAR A CAMI, TANK TOP OR SPORTS BRA UNDERNEATH THEIR SHIRT.
Parents will be notified of the results of the screening only if professional follow up is suggested. This screening procedure does not replace your child’s need for regular health care and check-ups.
If your child is already under the care of a doctor for one of the above-mentioned spinal issues, you must submit a signed letter from the doctor by October 13th. If, for religious reasons, you do not wish to have your child screened, you are to submit an original notarized affidavit of religious exemption to the nurse no later than October 13th. This form can be located by visiting this website: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/layouts/contentpage.aspx?pageid=29812&id=2584&terms=scoliosis+exemption+forms
Feel free to contact the school nurse directly with any questions or concerns.
Red Ribbon Week - Get ready for a fun week!!!
Pep Rally - Oct. 30 outside on the field for students and staff only.
***Freaky Friday staff and student costume contest!***
Fall Sports Information:
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volleyball: For questions, please contact email@example.com
FOOTBALL VENUE CHANGE UPDATE:
All MJH football games will be played at the MISD stadium except for 7th grade Oct. 5 and 8th grade Oct 20. Those two games will be played at the Oak Hill Junior High football field. Purchase tickets at the gate.
At this time, only 3 tickets per volley player is being sold for inside social distancing purposes.
MJH STUDENT COUNCIL
New Campus Meal Viewer and Cafeteria Charges
The Child Nutrition Department has moved to a new website to display menus for students and parents. The website it MealViewer, here is the link - https://schools.mealviewer.com/district/Montgomery%20ISD,%20TX
Parents can set accounts for students to alert them when their favorite meals are being served in the cafeteria, what foods contain their students’ allergens, and so much more!!
MISD has an easy online way for you to keep your child’s account. Go to the MISD webpage and click on the left tab “Child Nutrition Info”. Then click “MySchoolBucks.com.”
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
Washington D.C./Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders!
At this time and until further notice, MISD campuses are closed to lunch visitors. In addition, students are not allowed to have lunch delivered to the campus. Deliveries to students including lunches will be limited and on an emergency basis only. Students forgetting lunches will be allowed to charge a meal in the cafeteria.
MJH Parent/Student Handbook
The Parent-Student Handbook will be available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Forms such as Release of Picture/Directory Information, Medication for the Nurse, Change of Address/Phone Number, and Technology Agreement are found at the back of the Handbook.
We ask that you make every effort to request transportation changes prior to 1:30 p.m. in order for us to be certain that your student leaves in the correct manner. You may make changes by:
1. Sending a note with your child;
2. Faxing with a photo of your I.D. to 936-276-3301. Please include your student’s first & last name on any change. Emails or texts to teachers, phone calls to the front desk, and student-relayed messages are not requests that we honor for safety reasons.
· MJH CAR RIDER LINE/BUS POLICY
Due to the continued growth of MISD, we will no longer allow extra riders to ride the bus routes. Only registered riders will be allowed on the bus routes. We highly encourage students to car-pool to school due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking during the morning hours.
Join Our MJH PTO
The membership form is online on our campus website. Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page.
Montgomery Junior High School
Home of the Bears: #TogetherWeWill
To see all the great things happening at MJH
Follow us on Twitter @mjhsbears and Instagram (mjhsbears)
Follow our PTO on Facebook @ PTO Montgomery Junior High