The official newsletter of Farragut Intermediate School
August 26, 2019
SPECIAL NOTE - Please read:
FIS is a Reward school for the second year in a row!
This year one area we are focusing on is school attendance. Research shows that good attendance is an important part of student success. We need your help.
Please read the following information on school attendance:
DID YOU KNOW?
- Missing 10 percent (or about 18 days) can make it harder to learn to read.
- Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
- Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
- Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school—and themselves.
Let's start building good attendance habits early so our students learn that going to school on time, every day is important. Research shows that good attendance will help children do well in high school, college, and at work.
Pick Ups and Drop Offs
Our building opens at 7:00 AM each morning. If students arrive before 7:30, they will go to their designated area in the building:
- 3rd grade in the gym
- 4th grade in the cafeteria
- 5th grade in the hallways outside of their rooms
** IMPORTANT: If you are dropping off by car, please pull all the way around the circle to the farthest cone to drop off your child. This helps the traffic move more quickly.
Breakfast is served in the cafeteria beginning at 7:10.
After the 7:30 bell, students make their way to the classrooms. All students should be in their classrooms by 7:45.
If you are picking up your child through the car line, please be sure to have your hang tag visible. If you do not have a hang tag, please come to the office with your ID to check out your child.
Special Note Regarding Celebrations
Grade Level Homework
Parents, we strive to keep homework at a minimum:
- Third grade students should have no more than a total of 30 minutes a day
- Fourth grade should have no more than 40-50 minutes a day
- Fifth grade should have no more than 60 minutes a day - total for all three subjects.
If students are unable to complete homework within the given time frames, parents/guardians can draw a line and sign the page.
PTA Membership Drive
The PTA Membership Drive ends on Friday, August 30th! Please keep sending in your memberships to earn your child a popcorn and movie party! The following teachers have earned their party already:
Fifth Grade: Eddins, Holly, King, Mann, Maxey, Miles, Thorley
Fourth Grade: Czulewicz, Gallaher, Kelly, McArthur, Ott, Pope, Roman, Tharp
Third Grade: Adams, Cline, Cupp, Duby, Gerlach, Givens, Massey, Moore, Pegg, Stedham, Wells
Current leaders: 3rd - Gerlach, 4th - Gallaher, 5th - Miles
Memberships are only $7.50, and each membership comes with a whole bunch of coupons worth well over the $7.50 membership fee. Please join the PTA if you haven't already
FIS PTA Newsletter
Farragut Intermediate School Orchestra is getting ready to start another wonderful season on Tuesday, September 10th. Meeting times are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00pm-3:45pm.
Information and permission forms are available in the front office. Please make sure that the forms are signed and returned by Friday, September 6th.
Please contact Kelsey Sexton with any questions!
Dates to Remember
- Aug. 5- Sept. 5 - PTA Membership Drive
- Aug. 27 - Student Holiday - no school for students
- Aug. 29 - Girl Scouts Parent Meeting (6:00-8:00)
- Sept. 2 - Labor Day (no school)
- Sept. 6 - 3rd Grade Grandparents' Day (more information to come)
- Sept. 10 - STEM Scouts Parent Meeting (6:30)
- Sept. 12 - Coupon Book Kick-Off
- Sept. 13 - All Pro Dads - Music Room (7:00-7:30)