April - Dallas ISD Substitute Employee Newsletter
HAPPY AUTISM AWARENESS MONTH
SCHOOL HIGHLIGHT - DAVID G. BURNET ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Address: 3200 Kinkaid Drive Dallas, TX 75222
Phone: (972) 794-3000
Mission: Providing excellence in the physical, emotional, social and academic growth of every child to ensure all students achieve their maximum potential.
Vision: Teachers will create strong classroom cultures, build relationships with students, and implement instructional practices that engage all students.
ACTIVE STATUS REMINDER
DALLAS ISD OFFICE MANAGER DIRECTORY
2017 - 2018 BI-WEEKLY PAY PERIODS AND DATES
Transparency around compensation is something that is very important to us, and we want you to have every resources available to plan your finances. Click the link below for the 2017 - 2018 pay schedule.
ACE & ISN CAMPUSES
Please see the list below for all of our ACE and ISN schools.
ACE Schools & Principals:
- Dade MS- Tracie Washington
- Rusk MS- Juan Cordoba
- Edison MS- Earl Gilmore
- Blanton ES- Laura Garza
- Zumwalt- Troy Tyson
- Ervin ES- James Wallace
- Lee, U. ES- Roshonda Clayton-Brown
- Hernandez, O. ES- Oscar Aponte
- Mills ES- LaTonya Clark
- Ray- Sheryl Wilson
- Pease ES- Shavannia Dash
- Titche ES- Damien Stovall
- Carr ES- Carlotta Hooks
ISN Schools & Principals:
- Lincoln HS- Johnna Weaver
- Madison HS- Marian Willard
- Browne MS- Lakisha Thomas
- South Oak Cliff HS- Willie Johnson, Acting
- Holmes MS- Sharron Jackson
- Boude Storey MS- JoAnn Jackson
- Bryan ES- Tonya Anderson
- Dunbar ES- Verna Farmer
- Rhoads ES- Bridget Ransom
- Burleson ES- LaJoyce Johnson
- Rice ES- Alpher Garrett-Jones
- King ES- Gloria Kennedy
- Webster ES- Clement Alexander
- Roberts ES- Eneida Padro Colon
- Truett ES- Terre Evans
Substitute Tips to Fine Tune
You’ve signed up to be a substitute teacher, and now you are doubting you made the right decision. Now you are wondering and find yourself asking questions. Will you ever get to teach something in my degree area? Will you ever understand this new math? Will today be the day that the teacher will leave lesson plans to follow? Will this school be as bad as they say it could be? But the number one question in your mind is will I be able to survive the day? The answer is yes to all your wonderings. However, we do not hold the key to the order or dictation of the experience. Here are a couple of tips that can help fine tune your experience.
- The night before know where you are going, who you are replacing for the day, grade and subject matter you will be teaching.
- Review your substitute handbook, Learning Standards for the grade and subject, also plan for no lesson plans.
- Arrive at your assignment earlier than requested. This will allow time for you to walk into the building, find the front office, and possibly ask questions in regards to the expectations for the day.
- Be alert and aware at all times. You cannot properly monitor sitting behind the desk, talking or texting on your cell phone, or with your back toward students while on the computer.
- Use professional ethics – your private and personal business stays outside the school building.
- Be prepared just in case the assignment changes. (ex. You thought you were teaching 3rd grade math. Now they will like for you to teach Kindergarten.
- Be ready for if the school decides to have a safety drill. This may be a fire drill, tornado drill, evacuation, or school lockdown.
- Be willing to carry the lesson out or extend the lesson. You may have to create a quick game, do readers theater, or even just work through the lesson together as a class.
- Take accurate notes about any incidents or discipline problems that may occur.
- Remember, as a substitute you are the adult in the classroom.
EVENTS IN DALLAS
Dallas Art Fair - 4/12
Almost 100 galleries from 30 cities show this year at the tenth Dallas Art Fair, including new additions Paul Yasmin, Casey Kaplan, The Hole and more. Click here for details
Techstars Startup Week - 4/2
Techstars Startup Week™ is a free, five-day celebration of our community that builds momentum and opportunity around entrepreneurship. Click here for details
Dallas ISD Teacher Job Fair - 4/14
Dallas students have big dreams for the future, but they also face big challenges. They deserve great teachers who can help them break through barriers and build the life they dream of. Click here for details