WHAT IS INSOMNIA?
People with insomnia can go anywhere without sleeping from staying awake till very late/very early in the morning to a couple of days.
Have insomnia is NOT staying up late at night on technology or because you want to or deciding not to sleep.
Having insomnia is when you go to fall asleep and you physically can't. When you go to sleep and are off technology, you just can't get your body to sleep. People with insomnia stay up to 4-5 all-nighters a week and still won't feel very tired, in worst cases.
WHAT TYPES OF INSOMNIA CAN HAPPEN?
Transient- When Insomnia only lasts for a week or less. This type is caused by some type of change in your sleep habits. This is caused when you change something when you sleep, for example changing the time you go to bed.
Acute- When Insomnia only last for less than a month. This is caused because of some change in someone’s life during the course of their day. For example, if someone loses their job,or moving far away.
Chronic- When Insomnia is an occurring issue for more than a month. This is caused by another disease such as anxiety, depression or sleep deprivation.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF INSOMNIA?
Transient- Is very temporary, it is really just your body adjusting to a new change.
Acute- Formed by a root cause that you are going through during your life. It will soon go away.
Chronic- Caused by another medical issue, anxiety, depression, ADHD, etc.
WHY WOULD IT START & HOW IS IT CAUSED?
If you are experiencing a big change in your everyday life.
It can also be caused by change in sleeping habits or another disorder such as depression or anxiety.
The main root cause for insomnia is anxiety, if you have anxiety, you will most likely have insomnia. Mostly because when you have anxiety you worry and panic a lot about things that are going to happen, so it is caused by worry about things while trying to sleep.
- Tired during the day
- Just generally tired
- Problems with concentration
- Problems with memory
- Your insomnia can become a daily pattern, which can be very bad for you (in worst cases).
HOW CAN YOU PREVENT OR OVERCOME INSOMNIA?
- Avoid using your bed during the day-your body will feel like your bed its just for sitting not sleeping if you are sitting in it throughout the whole day. It will be easier to fall asleep if you avoid your bed.
- Limit your caffeine in the afternoon and at night. (Chocolate and Hot Cocoa is also considered as caffeine).
- Do some exercise everyday, this can even be just walking a little everyday.
- Eat light food at dinner time.
- Finding your root cause for insomnia and trying to solve the problem.
- Solve your other medical problems first,For example: If you have depression, then solve the depression because then that will help you cure your insomnia.
- Talk to a doctor about your sleeping habits.
HOW IT FEELS TO HAVE INSOMNIA
"Insomnia." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015.
"Insomnia (Chronic and Acute Insomnia) Causes and Symptoms." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 05 Mar. 2015.
"10 Tips to Avoid Insomnia and Get a Good Night's Sleep - MedicineNet."MedicineNet. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015.
"How to Prevent Insomnia." WikiHow. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015.
"Do I Have Insomnia?" Quiz. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Mar. 2015.