Phoenix Family News
March 5, 2021
Important Dates Ahead...
- March 5: Last Day of Trimester 2
- March 8-12: NO SCHOOL for all students - Spring Break
- March 15: NO SCHOOL for all students; Progress Reports to be delivered via email by 4:00
- March 16: First day of new learning model for those switching between VLA and Dial
- March 22: PTA Meeting via Zoom, 4:15 pm
- March 23: PTA Cafe Zupas Night, 4-9 pm
Calendar and Schedule Updates
The latest calendar updates are available at sowashco.org/calendar.
A Note from the Principal
As we head into this spring break, we mark a year since the COVID-19 pandemic began affecting us in District 833. We have truly endured an unprecedented time unlike any other we have experienced together. While we are starting to see glimpses of normalcy, one thing we know for sure is that we need to continue to maintain a focus on mental health and self-care. Our wish for you over the next week is that you are able to spend time together as a family, whether you are staying close or traveling far. Students, staff and families have been working so hard this year - enjoy this much deserved break! We look forward to seeing our students back in person and virtually on Tuesday, March 16th!
Online Scholastic Book Fair through Sunday at Midnight!
Our Scholastic Book Fair is here on a device near you! The fair is being held entirely online from Monday, February 22-Sunday, March 7 at 11:59 p.m. Visit https://www.scholastic.com/bf/valleycrossingelementarysch1 to access our online book fair.
Questions? Contact Susan Vance firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Lunch and Breakfast for All Students
School-based Mental Health Services for Students
Notes from our Nurses
We hope that you all have a safe and enjoyable spring break. Please remember to stay vigilant and monitor for signs and symptoms of Covid. We are following the MDH Decision tree for schools when evaluating whether students and staff can be at school. Feel free to use the attachment for guidance should you or a family member develop Covid symptoms over the break. Always feel free to reach out to the nursing staff at Valley Crossing at 651-425-7502 or 651-425-7522.The health office is not staffed during the break, but a nurse will follow up with you as soon as possible.
We love having students learning safely in person and by all of us staying vigilant we hope to keep students in school for the rest of the year.
Helpful backpack items when students return:
Changes of clothing, spare masks, water bottle, fragrance free lotion for dry hands, and Chap-stick for dry lips.
Nurse Rachel and Nurse Melinda
A Quick Note from Dr. Gervais, School Social Worker
Please view my schedule and availability online at https://calendly.com/drgervais
Check out my Virtual Classroom filled with fun activities to do at home.
Resources for Families - District 833 has a website that will link you to a variety of resources from food, mental health, and unemployment and so much more. Bookmark this page for future use: https://www.sowashco.org/about/learning_models/family_resources
- Our online book fair is underway! Shop the fair at https://www.scholastic.com/bf/valleycrossingelementarysch1 by Sunday, March 7 at 11:59 p.m. Do you have questions about how a virtual book fair works? Watch this two minute video for step-by-step instructions Virtual Fair Tutorial (brightcove.net)
- Free shipping with $25 book-only purchase. Book fair purchases benefit our school and has allowed the PTA to provide books and other educational items for the media center, individual classrooms, and for our reading specialists. Thank you for supporting our virtual book fair!
Cafe Zupas Night
- Help us raise money for Valley Crossing! We’re teaming up with Café Zupas for a Fundraiser Night on March 23rd from 4pm-9pm. Simply mention Valley Crossing Elementary at check out! Each meal can earn up to 25% back! Dine in or take out. See the flyer below for more information!
- Consider joining us for the upcoming Valley Crossing PTA meeting on Monday, March 22 at 4:15 via Zoom. Email email@example.com for the Zoom link.
Vacations and Other Extended Absences
Illnesses and Absences
Please be sure to call in to our attendance line to report absences or illness: 651-425-7506
Any sick student who is sent to school, or is determined to be sick during the school day, will immediately be sent home.
The 14-day quarantine period will remain in place. If staff or students had close contact with an infected person, the Minnesota Department of Health may direct us to keep them out of school for a minimum of 14 days.
We ask that families be prepared for the possibility that their child’s class could move to distance learning at any time due to a potential COVID-19 exposure.
VCES Information Links
- Family Technology Support Line: Fall 2020 website / 651.425.HELP (4357) - M-F 7:30-4:00
- VNN Channel Page - Tune in each morning at 9:15 am as your Morning Meeting starts!
- Resources for Families: https://www.sowashco.org/about/fall_2020/family_resources
VCES Contact Information
Connha Classon, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7503
Kristine McDonald, Assistant Principal: email@example.com / 651.425.7523
Merita LaPlante, Office Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7501
Jen Gackstetter, Office Assistant: email@example.com / 651.425.7507Jen Gervais, Social Worker: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7542 (Note Change)