Serial Killer Project

By Marco Sanchez

Carl Eugene Watts


  • Carl Eugene Watts was born in Killeen, Texas to a private first class in the Army and a mother who worked as a Kindergarten teacher.
  • Their parents separated when he was about two years old.
  • At a young age he was described as being weird and around 12 years of age he would fantasize about torturing and killing girls.
  • It is believed that he first killed his first victim at around the age of 15.


The psychiatrist diagnosed him as having mental retardation however later people would say he was very intelligent.

Despite having poor grades he did manage to graduate from high school and managed to get a scholarship to Lane Jackson , Tennessee. However he quickly was expelled after three months for stocking and assaulting women. After the expulsion he returned back to Texas and settled in Houston.


Watts career as a serial killer began when he was 20 years old by kidnapping his victims from homes, torturing them, and then murdering them. It's believed that his second victim was Gloria Steele.
His victims were almost entirely white females between the ages of 14-44.

In October, 1979, Watts was arrested for prowling around in Southfield, Detroit suburb. The charges were later dropped. Investigators did note, however, that during the previous year, five women in the same suburb were assaulted on separate occasions, but with similar circumstances. None were killed, nor could any of them identify their attacker.

By 1979 and 1980, attacks on women in Detroit and surrounding areas became more frequent and violent and similar in style.

October 8, 1979: Peggy Pochmara, 22, strangled, Detroit.
October 31, 1979: Jeanne Clyne, 44, stabbed, Grosse Pointe Farms,
March 11, 1980: Hazel Connof, 23, strangled, Detroit.
March 31, 1980: Denise Dunmore, 23, strangled, Detroit.
April 20, 1980: Shirley Small, 17, Ann Arbor.
May 31, 1980: Linda Monteiro, 27, strangled, Detroit.
July, 1980: Glenda Richmond, 26, stabbed, Ann Arbor.
September 14, 1980: Rebecca Huff, 20, stabbed, Ann Arbor.

He is also connected to the attempted murders in Canada:

In July, 1980, in Windsor, Irene Kondratowiz, 22, was attacked, but lived after having her throat slashed.

Sandra Dalpe, 20, lived through being stabbed from behind.

Mary Angus, 30, of Windsor, escaped attack by screaming when she realized she was being followed. She picked Watts out of a photo line-up but was unable to say for sure the attacker was him.


On May 23, 1982, he attacked roommates Lori Lister and Melinda Aguilar, tied them up, and then attempted to drown Lister in their apartment bathtub. Aguilar was able to escape by jumping head first off of her balcony. Lister was saved by a neighbor and Watts was caught and arrested. The body of Michele Maday was found the same day, drowned in her bathtub in a nearby apartment.

Plea Bargain

Under interrogation, Watts refused to talk. Harris County Assistant District Attorney Ira Jones made a deal with Watts in order to get him to confess. Incredibly, he agreed to give him immunity to the charge of murder, if Watts would agree to confess to his murders. Jones was hoping to bring closure to the families of some of the 50 unsolved murders of women in the Houston area. Coral eventually admitted attacking 19 women, 13 of which he confessed to murdering.

By the time it was over, Watts admitted to 80 additional murders in Michigan and Canada, but refused to give details because he did not have an immunity agreement for those murders. Coral plead guilty to one count of burglary with intent to kill. Judge Shaver decided that the water in the bathtub could be constituted as a deadly weapon, which would result in the parole board not being able to count Watts' 'good conduct time,' when determining his parole eligibility.

In 1989, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, decided that because the Judge failed to inform Coral that the bathtub water could be deemed a lethal weapon, that he would not be required to serve his entire sentence. Watts was now eligible for retroactive 'good time earned' equaling three days for every one day served. This would mean he would be released from prison on May 9, 2006.

Lawrence Fossi, whose wife was murdered by Watts, is fighting the release with every possible legal maneuver he can find. In the meantime, Michigan, having never agreed to the plea bargain, decided to try him for the Dec. 1, 1979, stabbing death of Helen Dutcher.


Watts' trial for the Steele murder began in Kalamazoo, Michigan on July 25, 2007; closing arguments concluded July 26. The following day the jury returned a guilty verdict. Watts was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole on September 13.He was incarcerated at a maximum security prison in Ionia , Michigan. He died of prostate cancer on September 21 in a Jackson, Mississippi hospital.

Pedro Alfonzo López

The Monster of the Andes


Lopez was a Colombian serial killer born in Santa Isabel, Colombia. He has admitted of killing and raping more than 300 girls all across South America.
He was born to a prositure mother with 13 children. At the age of 8 he had been kicked out of the house because she caught him sexually molesting one of his sisters. This put him into the streets where he was picked up by a man who sexually sodomized him repeatedly. After this he ran away and wondered the streets where eventually and American family took him in and enrolled him to a school of orphans. There he ran away again because he was molested by the school teacher.


  • At the age of 18 he was arrested for stealing an automobile and put to jail where on the second day was gang-raped by four men. He vowed to take revenge instead of reporting it to the police and killed three of the four men involved in his rape. The police added two more years unto his sentence.
  • After he was released from prison he began praying on little girls as part of his vengeance.
  • By 1978 he already raped and killed 100 girls in Peru. He would specifically target girls from Indian Tribes which would eventually almost be the death of him. Here the Indian Tribe of Ayachucos were keeping an eye on him and when he was spotted kidnapping a nine year old girl he was quickly beaten, stripped, and tortured. Just as the tribe were going to bury him alive an American missionary stepped in and stopped it pleading that they should bring him to the police.
  • This backfired big time in that the Peruvian police refused to deal with Indian complaints so Pedro was free to kill.
  • Being able to roam freely he traveled through Columbia and Ecuador where a sudden flood of missing girls went on in the three adjacent countries.

Modus operandi

According to Pedro's best estimate, he had murdered at least 110 girls in Ecuador, perhaps 100 in Colombia, and "many more than 100" in Peru. "I like the girls in Ecuador," he told police. "They are more gentle and trusting, more innocent.

They are not as suspicious of strangers as Colombian girls." In the course of his confessions, Lopez made an effort to invest his crimes with philosophical trappings. "I lost my innocence at age eight," he told interrogators, "so I decided to do the same to as many young girls as I could." Trolling village markets for selected targets with "a certain look of innocence," Lopez first raped his victims, then stared into their eyes as he strangled them, deriving sadistic pleasure from watching them die. Hunting by daylight, so darkness could not hide their death throes, Lopez allegedly sought out one victim immediately after another, his blood lust becoming insatiable over time.


Days later, Carvina Poveda observed Lopez leaving the Plaza Rosa marketplace with her 12-year-old daughter, Maria. Summoning help, she pursued him, and Lopez was captured by townspeople, held for police, who began to suspect that they might have a madman in custody. In the face of Pedro's continuing silence, police tried a different stratagem. Dressing a priest, Father Cordoba Gudino, in prison garb, they placed him in a cell with Lopez, leaving Gudino to win the suspect's confidence, swapping stories of real or imagined crimes late into the evening. At length, when the padre had heard enough, Lopez was confronted with the evidence of his own admissions and he broke down, making a full confession. Liaison with authorities in Peru and Colombia substantiated parts of the prisoner's grisly, almost incredible story.


Pedro was arrested in Ecuador and was given only 16 years as Ecuadorian law only permits life sentences to that amount.
After his release in 1994 he was re-arrested again an hour later as an illegal immigrant and handed over to Colombian official over a 20 year old murder.
In 1998 he was declared sane and released at at $50 bail.
In 2002 he was arrested again for another murder he committed and currently is in jail in Ecuador and if released he will be tried in Columbia and Peru.
Pedro Alonso Lopez / Jorge Patiño - El Monstruo de los Andes