News from the 'View
Skyview Upper Elementary School
November at Skyview
It's hard to believe it is already November! This week you should have received our flyer about American Education Week Visitation Day (Monday, November 18th). This flyer is also attached to this newsletter - please complete and return if you plan to visit!
Next week you will receive a letter about conferences (November 26 and 27). This letter will indicate whether the team feels a conference is needed as well as afford you the opportunity to request an in-person or phone conference.
We have an additional club opportunity for students- Hawk News. These flyers will be available next week for students at school - the flyer is also attached to this newsletter.
Additional dates for your calendar...
November 5 - School Closed (In-Service)
November 5 - First Marking Period Ends
November 8 - H & S Meeting 9:30 a.m.
November 14 - Report Cards Post on PowerSchool (we do not issue hard copies of report cards)
November 18 - American Education Visitation Day
November 25 - Franklin Institute Assemblies
November 26 and 27 - Conferences (no school for students)
November 28 and 29 - Schools and Offices Closed
Exact Path Update
Exact Path (Edmentum) Update for Skyview Families
We continually reflect on our instructional practices at Skyview. We recognize that the current Exact Path requirements are a cause of concern for some of our students and we appreciate the feedback we have received from families. Currently, the expectation for this program has been for students to earn two “trophies” within the program over the course of a three-week period. In order to best meet student needs and to allow for modifications to these requirements, please see the updates below regarding Exact Path.
What is Exact Path?
- This web-based program supports and enriches English Language Arts (ELA) learning. The program is based on PA Standards for ELA.
- EXACT PATH will support (and enrich) your child by focusing on his/her independent learning levels and move him/her through appropriate state standards at an appropriate pace.
- Students are initially placed on a level in this program based on the results of their on-line STAR reading comprehension testing. By working through the program’s components, concepts and skills are reinforced. Additionally, the work students do helps to inform our teachers’ instruction so that we may work to meet student instructional needs.
What are the expectations?
- Students work on Exact Path during assigned flex times in school and have the option to work on the program during 8th period.
- Students are encouraged to earn (2) trophies over a 3-week period on Exact Path. When students are struggling to earn the trophies, teachers will look at their time on task in the program. Students spending 2 hours over the three week time period will earn full credit.
- Modifications can be made for students who struggle to earn the trophies. Teachers will determine what modification will best meet the needs of the student. For example, teachers can modify the level in which the student is working or they can allow the student to work on a language arts path instead of a reading path. Please reach out to your child’s reading teacher if they are struggling with Exact Path.