Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
Many thanks to all of my families for all of the Valentines Day love I received today! I appreciate your thinking of me! I want to shout out two super readers for reaching three- million-word-milestones this week: Will C. and Taylor T! Fantastic job, Chastain-ians!
English Language Arts
- Students will be introduced to five new Greek & Latin Roots during Unit 6 upon our return. Practice Packets will be due on Friday 2/26. Roots in Units 5 and 6 will also be tested on this day.
- Students will be working on Spelling City List #15 during the week of 2/22. Students should complete all activities by Friday in preparation for the spelling test that will be given that day in class.
- Students begin a new opinion essay when we return.
- Round 2 of Literature Circles will begin! Literature Circles meet on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. On these days students are expected to come prepared with book in hand, having completed the assigned reading and recorded three questions for discussion with their groups.
- Students will begin our next chapter on relating fractions and decimals. For those who would like to begin working on these concepts, IXL strands relating to our up and coming unit include: U.1-U.10
We continue investigating how natural processes shape the surface of the earth and the ensuing effect on humans. Some of the essential questions continue to be explored include: How can we see evidence of changes in the earth over time? What story of the earth can rocks and fossils tell us? What slow and fast processes change the earth's surface? How are humans affected by these processes?
Check out Ms. Jackson's website to see what's currently happening in art.
Mrs. Connelley has uploaded new fitness scores into Infinite Campus. If students would like to make up points they can do so in one of two ways:
#1: They can redo the 2 bonus questions and redo question 15
Bonus Q#1: What is your Target Heart Rate and Max beats per minute?
Bonus Q#2: How many minutes are kids supposed to be active every day?
Question #15: Write about your experience so far in the Fitness Unit: what have been your favorite activities? How do you think this new information will help you be a person who makes sure to be active in your lifetime? (10 sentences)
#2 : They can do a Tabata, Yoga, or Step Aerobic workout, write a paragraph, and have a parent sign for up to 5 points.
Questions about this can be directed to Mrs. Connelley at firstname.lastname@example.org
WCS Movie Night!
Message from Girls on the Run Coordinators
We are very excited to announce that registration is open for the Spring 2016 season of Girls on the Run. Westlake will once again have a team this season and we can’t wait to get started.
The Mission of Girls on the Run is as follows: “We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.”
The girls that participate will meet twice a week to do activities and to start training to complete a 5K right here in Natomas. Practices begin on February 22nd and will be at the Del Paso Campus from 4:30-6:00pm.
Registration is open until February 19th. The registration is $165 and scholarships are available for qualifying families. For more information about this program, please go to www.gotrsac.org or contact one of the coaches:
We hope to see you out there!
- February 15-19: Presidents' Week Break
- February 26 at 6 p.m. in Del Paso Cafeteria: WCS Movie Night
- March 3 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m. on Del Paso Campus: Parents Go to School Night
- March 4: End of Trimester Accelerated Reader Goal Due
- March 11: End of 2nd Trimester
- March 16-18: Parent Teacher Conferences (Early dismissal)
- March 21-April 1: Spring Break