Numeracy Support Skills
Teacher Aide workshop, Palmerston North. 16/09/13
Evaluation of workshop
- Facilitator's punctuality: 100% excellent
- Facilitator's presentation: 9% good; 91% excellent
- Materials used: 27% good; 73% excellent
- Pace of training: 27% good; 73% excellent
- Variety of activities: 27%good; 73% excellent
- Usefulness of strategies: 18% good; 82% excellent
- Confidence to employ strategies in class: 100% excellent
- Time allowed to cover content: 18% adequate; 9% good; 73% excellent
What went well?
- Presented by somebody with a passion and belief in what they do.
- Nice relaxed way to do a course.
- Well demonstrated, but could be longer and cover more activities.
- Language was easy to understand, I felt part of the learning (included).
- All of it. I loved how we were shown how to use the number cards.
- Very enjoyable class. Would be interested in more. Thank you.
- Was good to learn about some new strategies, resources, games to aid teaching of basic facts, especially when working with students struggling with basic addition.
- Quick overviews of what's available in time frame. Information you could understand and relate to.
- Stayed focused and on track, but didn't feel rigid or like you couldn't ask questions... basically time was well used.
- Creating activity for ourselves. Using materials from NDP. Assessment discovery that book rings with cards with basic facts to learn.
What was particularly useful?
- Book ring with facts to learn - changes results.
- Examples of games and different strategies.
- The hierarchy of basic facts, because we were able to identify where the children should be, and their actual levels.
- Strategies (various and new) to try and teach basic facts with struggling students.
- The new game.
- The practical example of the resources. I know how to use them now.
- Looking at ready made activities, and making our own.
- Pointed to the website. Explanation of the games (that would otherwise sit in the resource cupboard at work).
Did it fit your training needs?
- It was useful.
- For 1:1, yes. Would also be useful if given the opportunity to work with groups.
- Definitely. Thank you so much.
- I'm not doing math at moment. Would've been great for me several years back.
- Yes! (5 participants)
What could be improved?
- Maybe more talking time for participants, and discuss different strategies.
- Place and set up that was easier for presenter.
- Longer session - to make some more resources.
- A longer session!
Did we cover anything that you would like more information about?
- Learning styles.
- No, can work on what was presented until next time. :)
- No, I think I'm OK. Will follow up on useful websites given: the wiki, and NZMaths.
- Demonstrate teaching.
- Will look online/ await email invite to wiki.
- For a starter this is great. I often feel a dunce finding ways to teach basic facts, so building on from this would be appreciated.
Any other comments or suggestions?
- Thank you so much for your time, your honesty and your approachable manner.
- Another session - another math based topic: fractions, shape, measurement etc.
- Thanks for your time.
- Enjoyable session. Refreshing to have information presented to help our children.
- Thanks heaps.
- Thank you for giving your time to cover some of your resources.
- More time to share ideas.