September is a busy month!
As we move into the second week of school, we will implement a few more procedures that are part of our safe schools plan.
- Starting on Tuesday, September 6, any parent who plans to walk their child to class at morning arrival will need to sign in at the office. You will need to wear a visitor sticker in a visible location as you travel through the hallways. Make sure to bring your ID for a quicker sign in.
- We will also start counting tardies on September 6th. All students are expected to be in their classroom by 8AM. Any student who is not in the classroom by 8 AM will need a tardy slip to gain entry to the classroom.
- If you are late, please be sure to park in a parking space (not in the car rider circle) and walk your child into the office.
- Tardy students may not be escorted to class by parents since classroom instruction has already began. Staff will assist your child to their classroom if they are not sure of the way.
- Reminder for car riders: if your child gets out of the car on the driver's side, they MUST walk in front of your car to the sidewalk. You will look out for your own child walking in front of your car but the car behind you may not know to be on the lookout! Thanks!
Please remember to bring your ID if you are checking your child in tardy or checking your child out of school early.
News from PTO!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS for our monthly PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) meetings. We will meet at 12:45 p.m. in Room 403 on the following dates…
9/13, 10/11, 11/15, 12/13, 1/10, 2/14, 3/14, 4/11, & 5/9.
We discuss fundraisers, ways to improve the school, fun reward activities for the kids, staff support, school projects, and other things.
You’re welcome to come to them all or pop in when you can. Younger siblings are welcome too. If you’re interested in learning more, but unable to attend the meetings, please send us a message, as we often have ways you can help from home. We look forward to working together to make NBES the best!
- PTO Meetings will be 12:45 PM in room 403. Please sign in at the main office.
- Sponsorship forms and payments for those businesses who would like to be a school sponsor and partner for the 2022-2023 school year are due by Friday, September 16th.
- More information will be coming home about the Fall Festival Carnival that will occur on October 7th from 5:30-8:30 PM. There will be unlimited game options, cake walk, petting zoo and more! We will also have our amazing raffle baskets and students will be bringing home information and raffle tickets to sell on Friday, September 23rd. If you are interested in volunteering for the event, we can use your help in many ways! Please watch for a volunteer request form coming home in the next few weeks.
Picture Day is coming up on Tuesday, September 27! More information will be coming home soon!
Free and Reduced Lunch Program
Free/Reduced Meal Applications for the new school year are available now! You may apply online at Buncombe County Schools Free and Reduced Application.>>> https://bit.ly/3QaVJHm
Please take a few minutes to fill out a free and reduced meal application today, even if you aren’t sure if you will qualify. If you have questions or need assistance please call 828-255-5927.
Please note that all schools will still serve breakfast to students at no cost next year!
Speaking of lunch...Please remember that we are not quite ready to invite visitors to eat lunch with students yet. We are still working on establishing procedures with our students. Thank you for understanding.
Parent Advisory Council and SIT Parent Representatives
Our Parent Advisory Council meets four times per year with administration to share/discuss information from the community and parent stakeholders.
Mary Webb, PTO President
Sandra Forero, Teacher Representative
Stacy Rich, Parent
Matt Hyder, Parent
Matt Jamerson, Parent
Our School Improvement Parent representatives meet with our School Improvement Team each month to share/discuss school information and steps for continuous improvement.
Sign up for Ingles Tools for Schools and give back to NBES!
We LOVE volunteers!
NBES welcomes volunteers! There are many ways for individuals to volunteer at our school. All volunteers must fill out an online volunteer application and be on the approved volunteer list before volunteering. Potential volunteers may go ahead and start on this process by following the link below. Thank you in advance for your support!
Safety Reminders - Car Rider Line procedures
Cars should not form a car line anywhere on campus prior to 2:20 PM. Do not block the road leading up to the main office. If you arrive on campus earlier, please park in a parking space in the parking lot and form the car rider line beginning at 2:20 PM. It is unlawful for cars to pass the car line on the wrong side of the road. Car riders are not dismissed until 2:35 PM (after buses leave the campus).
Safety Reminders - Arrival at our front door procedures
Please do not hold open doors for other visitors to our campus. We need each visitor to buzz in for screening as part of our safety procedures.
COVID Updated Protocols
If a student tests positive for COVID (at home or at a healthcare provider), they would isolate for 5 days from when their symptoms began. We will recognize the guidelines established by the CDC and NCDHHS regarding the use of a face covering to be worn for days 6-10 upon return to school.
Our normal exclusionary symptoms of fever, diarrhea, and vomiting are in effect. If a student has a fever, diarrhea, or vomiting, they must remain at home until symptoms are resolved for 24 hours.
Hand hygiene, enhanced cleaning protocols, and improved ventilation are all still priorities and important mitigating strategies.
Face coverings remain optional, to be worn by anyone at anytime.
Physical distancing such as 3 ft or 6 ft apart is no longer required.
Contact tracing is not required.
Following the guidelines established by the CDC and NCDHHS, MAHEC will not be providing rapid antigen testing in our schools. Staff and families may order at home tests for free via this link: https://www.covid.gov/tests.
MAHEC will send home further guidance regarding when students need to stay home due to an illness.
For students where an absence is Covid related please indicate this in your parent or health provider's note.
Students/teachers will follow the same guidelines for makeup work as they would for any other illness or injury.
September 7 - Lockdown Safety Drill
September 9 - School Improvement Team Meeting
September 12 and 13 - Proposed Campus Beautification Days (more info to come!)
September 13 - PTO Meeting at 12:45 in Media Center
September 22 - Title 1 Open House and Curriculum Night
- Session 1 - 5:45 - 6:15 PM
- Session 2 - 6:30 - 7:00 PM
September 27 - Fall Picture Day
September 29 - Early Dismissal Day - School dismisses at 12:25
October 7 - Fall Festival!
October 11 - PTO Meeting at 12:45 in Media Center
October 13 - School Improvement Team Meeting
Mrs. Heidi Allison
Location: 251 Flat Creek Church Road, Weaverville, NC, USA
Phone: (828) 645-6054