Tech Tip #4
Lightning tutorials to get you going!
Google Power Searcher part 1
This is part 1 of 4 installments to being a Google power searcher.
basic google operators
Try info: to get information about a web address, including the cached version of the page, similar pages, and pages that link to the site.
Use cache: to see what a page looks like the last time Google visited the site.
Search using symbols
search top level domains (TLD)
The numbers below are staggering!!
- A .com site (commercial) yields 4,860,000,000 registered sites.
- A .org (noncommercial) domain results in 1,950,000,000.
- An .edu site (US accredited postsecondary institutions) totals 1,550,000,000 registered.
- The .gov (United States Government) indexed 1,060,000,000.
- The .net (network services) registered sites are at 206,000,000.
- The .mil (United States Military) have 28,400,000 (SEO by the Sea, 2006, link).
Because of this, adding search filters to the top level sites will ease looking for what you need. I want to search for sea turtles information for a research project and only want reputable addresses. I will type sea turtles:.edu Adding the colon (:) and .edu (or other domain) will filter web pages to those of educational value.