Mrs. Weegar's First Grade
Week of September 3, 2013
This week in Language Arts
- We will be learning how to "read our classroom" and "read our school". This means we will search our classroom for words that we can read and write and record them in a booklet. We will also take a walk around the school building where we will find and record words that we can read as well as take photos of these words to print and post in our room for future reference.
- We will be reviewing Word Wall Words from Kindergarten. This week's review words will be: the, of, and, a, to, in, is, you, that, it. You can practice having your learner read and write these words at home.
- We will discuss why reading is important and how reading makes us feel inside.
- We will discuss and choose a personal reading goal for this year.
This week, we will be reviewing aspects of our Daily Five LIteracy Routine. We will be focusing on Choosing Good Fit Books. This means that we will discuss how to choose books to read that we are interested in, we can comprehend, and we can read most of the words in the book. We will be creating a chart to help us remember these things:
I choose a book
Purpose-Why do I want to read it?
Interest-Does it interest me?
Comprehend-Am I understanding what I am reading?
Know-I know most of the words
You can use these strategies when your learner is selecting books to read at home or perhaps choosing books to check out at the public library.
- Power polygons
- Pattern blocks
- Unifix cubes
- We will also be learning a new math game called Collect 20 Together, where we will take turns rolling a dot cube, counting up to twenty, and using a twenty-frame to show our answers.
- We will create a tree map to show the four different voice levels that we use during our school day.
- We will be discussing ways to show that we are responsible and creating a T Chart of behaviors that show responsibility and behaviors that do not show responsibility.
- We will be identifying ways to be safe at school.
For Your Calendar...
- TONIGHT! Curriculum Night at 6:00 p.m. in our classroom
- 9/6-Rise and Shine Assembly at 7:50 a.m.
- 9/10-PTO Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- 9/12-Austin Elementary Back to School Bash sponsored by the PTO 6:00-8:00 p.m.