Principles of Microeconomics
COURSE and CONTACT INFORMATION
Start Date: January, 2017
Course meets 100% online for 18 weeks
Instructor: Tanya Downing
Email (the best and fastest way to reach me): firstname.lastname@example.org (Except for weekends and holidays, email turn around is 24 hours.)
Phone: (805)776-3056 (accepts texts)
Office hours: Room 4314 on San Luis Obispo campus
1. Go to Cuesta's distance education support materials page. You can access Cuesta's distance education support materials here.
2. View the FAQ and FAQ-Technical pages which provide some assistance with the technical side of distance education (for ex. suggested minimum system requirements, how to get technical assistance, etc.) Be certain that you have the minimum technological requirements for this mode of learning.
3. Take the Survey and For Whom? assessments at the site. These support materials will help you determine whether online is best for you (before you find out the hard way.)
Nature of Course
Student Readiness and Time Requirements
- Know how to access Canvas, and through Canvas the course ebook and homework site. (Ebook and homework site registration instructions are included in the syllabus.)
- Learn effectively through reading, video lecture, and online discussion forums
- Be able to upload: Word or PDF documents and videos; and create URL links
- Be comfortable following instructions to research online
- Be comfortable with timed and untimed, online assignments and assessments
If you have a disability and might need accommodations in this class, please contact Disable Student Programs and Services (DSPS) in building 3300 on the San Luis Obispo campus as soon as possible to ensure that you receive accommodations in a timely manner. Their website can be reached here.
Principles of Microeconomics, 21st Edition by McConnell, Brue and Flynn
A loose-leaf copy of the text with access code to the ebook and homework manager can be purchased from the Cuesta bookstore.
Course Description and Student Learning Outcomes
Student learning outcomes include:
- 1. Illustrate economic perspective and analysis when responding to choices.
- 2. Utilize microeconomic concepts and models to critically evaluate and make predictions of outcomes in the short and long run when factors in the economy change.
- 3. Critically evaluate issues of the economy as they pertain to microeconomic analysis; including but not limited to, market failure, income inequality, and international trade and finance.
Cuesta's Online System - Canvas
After you have registered for the class you will find you are now registered for Canvas. You will need to follow these steps:
- From the Cuesta Website, Click on the Canvas Link
- You will be asked for a username and password. That information is the same as your myCuesta username.
- You will see all of the classes you are currently enrolled in listed in this area. If you have an additonal questions. I suggest watching the following video https://guides.instructure.com/m/4210/l/141852-canvas-overview-video
Additionally, this course has a zero tolerance policy for Academic Dishonesty. Please see the school website and refer to the Student Code of Conduct for clarification. Authentication of your identity will be conducted through the use of the course Learning Management System, Moodle. Moodle requires unique and secure student login and password to access it. Additionally, some assignments will require video or picture authentication.
Your instructor will provide regular and effective contact through weekly instructor initiated discussion forums; weekly instructor-created videos; timely and effective feedback on assignments; email, phone, messaging and/or announcements to individuals and the class; and office hours.
COLLEGE SUPPORT SERVICES
Tutorial services are provided free of charge to students. You may contact them at (805)546-3150 for further information.
For the library services list, including learning research and assistance, please use this link: Library and Learning Resources
For Veterans' services, click this link (and thank you.)