Gage 4-H News
County Fair Entry Website - Now Open!
Note: This is not the same as 4-H Enrollment that was due June 15. This is required to participate in the Gage County Fair.
2023 Fairbook Available
A digital version can be viewed here: https://simplebooklet.com/2023gagecounty4hffafairbook
Congrats to State Premier Communications Event Participants!
Intermediate Illustrated Presentation - Maggie White, Purple - 3rd Place Overall
Intermediate Illustrated Presentation - Devon Rasmussen, Purple
Intermediate Prepared Speech - Grace Lovell, Purple
Impromptu Speech - Devon Rasmusen, Purple
Impromptu Speech - Grace Lovell, Blue
Barn & Auto Passes
- 4-H/FFA Livestock Exhibitor Families - purchase 1 barn pass for $7.50 (half price). Additional barn passes are $15.00
- 4-H Ag Club Leaders (enrolled on 4HOnline) & FFA Instructors - 1 free barn pass
- 4-H Home Ec Club Leaders (enrolled on 4HOnline) - 1 free 5-Day Auto Pass
- General Public - 5-Day Auto Pass can be purchased for $5.00 each
THANK YOU Exmark, Gage County Farm Bureau & Gage County Ag Society!
Thank you, Exmark! Exmark Manufacturing, Community Outreach Awareness, will provide each 4-H and FFA exhibitor a complementary T-shirt. We will give out shirts and check off names during entry day at the 4-H Building, and throughout the fair. PLEASE THANK Exmark and sign the big thank you notes in the 4-H Building. THIS SHIRT IS NOT OFFICIAL 4-H/FFA ATTIRE AND CANNOT BE WORN WHILE SHOWING LIVESTOCK, HORSES, COMPANION ANIMALS, ETC.
We would like to thank the Gage County Farm Bureau for sponsoring one free show shirt for each exhibitor this year! Shirts can be picked up starting Tuesday, July 18th at the Extension Office.
THANK the Gage County Ag Society! They donate 1 free pass to each exhibitor to the Bull Riding on Wednesday, Races on Friday, Eve of Destruction on Saturday, or Tractor Pull on Sunday. Passes may be picked up by members, families or 4-H leaders at the Information Booth in the 4-H Building throughout the fair.
Table Setting Contest - July 17, 1:30 p.m. | 4-H Building
Open to all 4-H members and Clover Kids. Participants will determine a theme and creatively set one place setting, including table covering, plates, silverware, glassware and centerpiece. Include a menu card; nutrition, color and taste should be considered and compliment theme. Table provided. Participant should wear 4-H shirt.
Contest Rules & Helpful Tips: https://go.unl.edu/23tablesetting
Register on 4HOnline under the events tab by July 14th.
4-H Fashion Show - July 17 | 4-H Building
Registration is now open for the 2023 Gage County 4-H Fashion Show. This year’s show is Monday, July 17 at the 4-H Building on the Gage County Fairgrounds. Check in at 1:00 pm, judging starts at 1:30 pm, Public show starts at 7:00 pm. FOR 2023-Paper Entries are Required. Entries are due to the Extension Office (or email) July 12th by 4:30 pm. If emailed, please bring swatches for constructed garments to contest.
STEAM 1, STEAM 2, STEAM 3, Beyond the Needle, Knitting/Crochet, and Dress for Africa
- Entry Form: https://go.unl.edu/gagefashionentry
- STEAM 2 and STEAM 3 need to include a whole outfit made by 4-H'er to be eligible to model at the Nebraska State Fair
- Include a swatch and photo with entry form, if available.
Shopping In Style
- Entry Form: https://go.unl.edu/gagesisentry (please turn in the WHOLE form on July 12th)
Textile Extravaganza (Quilt)
- Entry Form: https://go.unl.edu/textileextravaganzaentry
Performing Arts Contest - July 17, 7:00 p.m. | 4-H Building
Contest Info and Entry Form: https://go.unl.edu/23performingarts
Recorded music used in classes 1-5 must provide music file to Extension Staff with entry. All musical instruments must be provided by exhibitor.
We are looking for a music stand! If you have one we could borrow, please contact Jacie!
Fairgrounds Set-up Day - July 18, 9:00 a.m. | Merchant's Hall
4-H All Star Awards - Saturday, July 29 | 4-H Building
4-H/FFA Market Livestock Premium Auction - Sunday, July 31, 3:00 p.m. | Main Livestock Barn
Fairgrounds Clean-up - Monday, July 31, 9:00 a.m. - Noon
NOTES TO 4-H MEMBERS
4-H Building Static Exhibit Check-in Information
Please prepare your exhibits for check-in:
- Pick-up your entry tags at the Extension Office. They will be available for pick-up Wednesday, July 19- Friday, July 21, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Check to make sure your entry tags are correct for your exhibit. If there are any issues, please email email@example.com.
- Attach your entry tags to the corresponding exhibit (two tags per exhibit) use tape, paperclips, pins, or rubber bands to secure the tag. Attach the tags in a way that can be viewed from the front of the exhibit. For example, on a framed drawing, attach the entry tag on the front side of the frame rather than the back.
- Note: project area if supporting information is required for exhibit.
- ALL 4-H BUILDING EXHIBITS - Label the bottom or back of each exhibit with Name & County. (Labels available at Extension Office or create your own)
- Horticulture Exhibits - include the cultivar for the plant on your entry tag (can be handwritten or included with your entry on gage.fairwire.com)
- Food Exhibits - Recipe required.
- Food Preservation Exhibits - https://go.unl.edu/ne4hfood-nutrition
- Home Environment Exhibits - https://go.unl.edu/ne4hhomeenvironment
- Visual Arts Exhibits - https://go.unl.edu/ne4hvisualarts
- Clothing, Knitting & Crochet Exhibits - http://go.unl.edu/ne4hclothing
- Photography Exhibits (Level 1 optional, Levels 2-3 required) : http://go.unl.edu/ne4h-photography
Static & Livestock Exhibit Release - Sunday, July 30, 7:00 p.m.
Gage County Fair Volunteers Needed!
We are excited about the 2023 Gage County Fair, but we need your help to make it a success! If you would like to help with 4-H events at the fair, please see sign up links below.
If you have something specific that you would like to help with, but prefer not to use the Sign-ups, please call the office to make arrangements.
4-H Building Sign-up: https://go.unl.edu/23gcf4hbuildingsignup
Fashion Show, Table Setting & Performing Arts: https://go.unl.edu/23contestsignup
Large Animals: https://go.unl.edu/23gcflargeanimal
Small Animlas: https://go.unl.edu/23gcfsmallanimal
Questions? Contact the Extension Office (402-223-1384). Thank you in advance!
Online Insect Identification Contest
The Nebraska 4-H Online Insect Identification Contest provides an opportunity for participants to put their entomological knowledge to the test. The contest consists of insect identification and multiple-choice questions. Participants will gain knowledge about insects and entomology through this competition. The contest is open to all youth, as well as adults. Youth do not need to be enrolled 4-H members to participate. Contest available June 24-July 11. More information at https://4h.unl.edu/online-insect-id-contest
Nebraska State Fair Entry - Due August 10, 8:00 p.m
- 4-H and FFA Livestock Deadline: 8 p.m. Central on August 10. Swine exhibitors: Please have your PQA# and Premise ID handy.
- 4-H In-Person Events (contests, fashion show, etc.): 8 p.m. Central on August 10.
- 4-H Static Exhibit Deadline: ENTERED BY Extension Office Staff
- 4-H Showmanship: 4-H exhibitors will be automatically entered into Showmanship for each livestock species they enter livestock for.
Notes to Livestock & Horse Members
County Fair Ag & Livestock Contests
Livestock Judging Contest: Saturday, July 29, 30 minutes following Hog Show
- Pre-register at the announcer's stand by Friday, July 28, 5:00 p.m.
- Registration due 10:00 a.m. Satuday, July 30 (except Hogs)
Rabbit & Poultry Skill-a-thon - DATE CHANGE!
There will be 2 age divisions for the Rabbit/Poultry Skill-a-thon:
- Junior - Ages 8-13
- Senior - Ages 14-18
Junior division will complete 3 stations, Senior divisions will complete 5 stations.
Rabbit Station Examples & Study Guide can be found at: https://go.unl.edu/rabbitskillathon
Click "Classwork" up at the top to access the materials.
Junior division will complete 3 stations, Senior division will complete 5 stations.
Poultry Station Examples & Study Guide can be found at: https://go.unl.edu/poultryskillathon
Click "Classwork" at the top to access the materials.
We are looking for volunteers to assist with the stations at the contest.
Horse Advancement Levels Testing
As of 2022, you must pass Advancement Level 1 to enter in any loping classes at the County Fair. A copy of your completed level needs to be turned into the Extension Office by July 15th. Must complete all 3 portions, Written Test, Club demonstration, and Skills test.
Schedule a time to take your test at the Extension Office by visiting: https://go.unl.edu/gageschedulehorsetest
Invitational Dairy Show
For more information and show rules visit https://go.unl.edu/23invdairyshow