KEEP CALM, AND COUPON ON
A GUERRILLA COUPON PUBLICATION. NO COUPONER LEFT BEHIND
HOW TO SPOT WHEN A DEAL, IS NOT MUCH OF A DEAL
SOUNDS GREAT RIGHT?
NOW, YOU MAY BE ASKING YOURSELF. HOW WILL I KNOW WHICH COUPON IS THE BEST FOR ME?
- Which coupon should I use?
- Can I Make an argument about which coupon is a better deal than the other. Explain under which circumstances it’s better. Finally, use examples to illustrate your case.
- What if I were holding two coupons, one that said “$x off: and the other said “x% off.” Which will I use and under what conditions?
!! STOP THE MADNESS !!
DETERMINATION: WE SHALL REACH OUR VERDICT UTILIZING TWO SIMPLE OPERATIONS.
IF WE USED THE COUPON ON THE LEFT, WE WOULD SIMPLY SUBTRACT TWENTY DOLLARS FROM THE OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE OF ( $39.99 ) THIS LEAVES US WITH A NEW OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE OF ( $19.99 )
IN THIS CASE WE WILL TELL YOU THE EASIEST WAY TO GO ABOUT PERFORMING THIS OPERATION. IF WE WERE TO USE THE COUPON ON THE RIGHT, WE WOULD FIRST CONVERT THE PERCENTAGE NOTATION INTO A DECIMAL NOTATION. FIRST, NOTICE THE % SYMBOL, IT HAS TWO SMALL CIRCLES IN IT, ONE ON EITHER SIDE OF THAT FORWARD (/). NOW WE KNOW THAT TWENTY ON THE COUPON REPRESENTS A WHOLE NUMBER, AND IT COULD BE WRITTEN AS ( 20. ) FOR EACH SMALL CIRCLE IN THE PERCENT SYMBOL YOU MAY MOVE THE DECIMAL FROM THAT WHOLE NUMBER ONE PLACE VALUE TO THE LEFT. DOING THIS WILL LEAVE YOUR WHOLE NUMBER ( 20. ) LOOKING LIKE THIS ( .20 ) NOW WE MULTIPLY ( 39.99 )( .20 ) THIS YIELDS A WHOPPING DISCOUNT OF $7.99, WHICH LEAVES YOU FOOTIN' AN OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE OF ( $32.00 )
IN THIS SCENARIO AND WITH A LOW OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE, THE $20 OFF COUPON IS CLEARLY THE VICTOR..... BUT, WHAT IF, WHILE THE COUPONS REMAINED THE SAME, THE OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE DRASTICALLY INCREASES?
USING THE PRINCIPLES FROM BEFORE WE CAN NOW APPLY OUR OPERATION TO AN ITEM WITH A LARGER OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE IN ORDER TO SEE IF THE LEFT COUPON REMAINS THE BEST DEAL.
WITH THE COUPON ON THE LEFT, WE HAVE AN OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE OF ( $229.00 )
WITH THE COUPON ON THE RIGHT, OUR OVERALL PURCHASE PRICE IS ( $199.20 )
ASSUMING THAT BOTH COUPONS BOTH HAVE EQUAL NUMERICAL FACE VALUE
1. In order to maximize the value of the coupon on the left, it would be best used on items with a lower overall purchase price.
2. The coupon on the right is better suited for items with a larger overall purchase price.
IN THIS CASE WE HAVE PROVEN THE DYNAMIC NATURE OF THESE QUESTIONS. THE WORK MUST BE DONE IN ORDER FOR YOU TO MAXIMIZE YOUR CAPITAL.