Toms River High School East
Week of October 24, 2022
Building update: Check out the new letters on the wall pictured below! TOMS RIVER HIGH SCHOOL EASST
Tuesday- Oct 25- PSAT- Sophomore and Junior Students, Freshman report to the cafeteria for Freshman Field Day and Seniors to the Gymnasium. Students that are taking the PSAT need to bring their own calculators.
Friday- Oct 28th-
- Halloween Costume Contest- please make sure all student costumes are school appropriate, no masks, weapons, sharp objects etc.
- Safe Trick or Treat- grades Pre-K through 5th 4-6pm
- Food Trucks and Fire Pits for all community members 5:30-8:30pm in the East parking lot
November 16th- End of Marking Period 1- grades posted on Parent Portal on November 22
- take time to check Parent Portal and talk to your child about any work that needs to be made up prior to the end of the marking period.
October Seniors of the Month
The October female senior of the month ranks in the top 5 students of the senior class. Often described as a very personable and respectful young lady, her excellent work ethic and overall willingness to learn distinguish her from her peers. She is a student in the STEAM Academy, a selected member of the National Honor Society and the Spanish National Honor Society, and an active participant in Interact and Key Club. Outside of school, you can find her figure skating at the rink or volunteering her time at a local animal shelter. Her teachers describe her as articulate, responsible, and well-mannered. It is undeniable that her ability to think critically and grasp concepts at the highest level will lead her to success as she pursues a career in the field of biomedical sciences. Congratulations to the October female senior of the month, Elly Clayton.
The October male senior of the month ranks in the top 20 students of the senior class. A testament to true responsibility, this senior dedicates himself to both his academic and extracurricular pursuits with a desire to attain success. Three words used by staff members to describe this senior are diligent, humble, and focused. This senior is an athlete on the Baseball team, a member of our school’s Future Business Leaders of America club, and an active participant in the Ambassadors program. Without a doubt, the hard work and dedication that this senior has put into his four years here at High School East will carry over into all his future endeavors. Congratulations to the October male senior of the month, Brayden Diehl.
Leader in Me
7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
This month we will begin focusing on Habit # 1: Being Proactive
Creating a Pause Button: Stop, Think, and Choose
• Talk together about the concept of the “pause button.”
• Ask the family to choose something to represent the pause button for the family. It could be a body movement, such as signaling with a hand, jumping up and down, or waving an arm; an action, such as switching the lights on and off; a sound, such as blowing a whistle, ringing a bell, or mimicking an animal sound; or even a word. Each time this signal is given, everyone will know the pause button is being pushed.
All activity, including conversation, arguing, debating, and so forth, should cease. This signal serves as a reminder for all to stop, think, and consider the consequences of continuing as they are. Talk together about how using this pause button gives family members the opportunity to subordinate what may seem important at the moment (winning an argument, getting their way, being “first” or “best”) for what really matters most (creating strong relationships, having a happy family, or building a beautiful family culture).
This week our staff participated in a training centered on being proactive in the classroom. Staff members started by writing down one thing they have control of in their life and another they do not. Staff put the sticky note they have control over in the yellow "circle of control." Staff engaged in scenarios with peers and discussed how they would react in a proactive way. This will shadow the activity that students will be part of in the November Activity period.
Congratulations to Meghan Donovan who was recognized on NJ.com for top scoring for our Lady Raider Field Hockey Team!
Staff Shout Outs!
Mrs. Coppinger’s PE classes were wrapping up their golf unit this week. One fun activity that students participated in was the design of their own challenging miniature golf hole! Students worked in groups to design their challenge, and then student groups all played the course. Students kept score and provided feedback on each of the hole designs.
Students in chemistry classes played the “Build and Ion” game, which was invented and created by Ms. Chatten. Students used the game board and Velcro game pieces to identify the numbers of protons, neutrons, electrons, and other features of their ions!
1) The PSAT is on Tuesday, October 25, 2022 for 10th & 11th graders. No registration is required. English teachers distributed PSAT student guides to the students. BRING YOUR OWN CALCULATOR!
2) Financial Aid Night is on October 26, 2022 from 6:30pm-8:30pm in the HSE Student Center.
2022 Financial Aid Night - TR.pdf
3) The SAT is on December 3, 2022. Registration deadline is 11/3/22. Register at www.collegeboard.org
4) The registration deadline for the December 10th ACT is 11/4/2022. Register at www.act.org
5) College/University representatives are coming to HSE to conduct information sessions. Please sign up in Guidance. For a full list of the Colleges and Universities visiting our Guidance office please our College and Career website or click on the link: College Rep visits
This week we participated in an "Evacuation Drill." I was very happy to hear the feedback from the staff that students were extremely well behaved and cooperative during this important drill. During any drill or safety situation the best thing students can do is make sure they are staying with the staff member assigned to them, great job!
Chat with the Principal
Thank you to the parents that attended the Google Meet chat this month. Save the date
( November 21 @ 9am) for the next Chat with the Principal: meet.google.com/toh-iuxw-bst
Thank you to MORANO TOURS for the monetary donation to our student fund! We appreciate you!
If your business is interested in making a donation please reach out! We can advertise you on our social media ( almost 3,000 followers on Instagram) : Eanders@trschools.com