Wainwright's Groovy Headlines
May 9, 2016
Readers' and Writers' Workshop
Students are finishing up their ocean books this week. Look for them to come home in take home folders next week. Students are also taking the STAR reading test this week, and the reports will also be coming home next week.
This week will be our last week for weekly tests! During the week of the 16th - 20th, we have special end of the year activities planned for each day. I will let you know the specifics later this week. And, something to cheer about....NO MORE HOMEWORK during the week of the 16th!
Spelling Words /n/ sound spelled kn
*Play math game and/or complete math worksheets
*Study spelling words
Homework folders are sent home on Monday and should be returned on Friday mornings with completed reading logs, math worksheets, and math games.
Zika Virus Information from the Alabama Department of Health and ALSDE
As warm weather approaches, we want you to take an active role in reducing your exposure to mosquitoes. To avoid viruses transmitted by mosquitoes, use THIS checklist to reduce sources of water in yard which are potential breeding sites. A coloring book, provided HERE, can involve the entire family in prevention measures. The coloring book will be provided for Prk-3rd grade. For more information concerning Zika Virus call 1-888-246-2675 or visit www.adph.org/mosquito
Common Core Daily Standards
- RF.1.1. Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic features of print.
- RF.1.2. Demonstrate understanding of spoken words, syllables, and sounds (phonemes).
Phonics and Word Recognition
- RF.1.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words.
- RF.1.4. Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension.
- OA.1.1 Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems.
- OA.1.3 Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.
- OA.1.5 Relate counting to addition and subtraction.
- NBT.1.1 Count to 120, starting at any number.
- NBT 1.2 Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.
- NBT 1.4 Add two-digit numbers with a one-digit number, or a multiple of 10.
- NBT 1.5 Given a two-digit number, mentally find 10 more or 10 less.
- NBT 1.6 Subtract multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range from multiples of 10 in the 10-90 range.
Important Dates & Events
- 5/15 National Police Officer's Day
- 5/24 Last day for students noon dismissal with report cards
- 5/30 Memorial Day