Friday, January 19, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
- Please complete the Family Engagement Survey by Friday, January 26: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1v1hiRekzbmB4BAAXC5_CuiafGvOB4QVrVbshEvxlam4/viewform?edit_requested=true
- Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
Major tax adjustments were passed by the federal government and therefore you will see changes in your check. IRS is telling software providers not to implement the changes until February, as new software programs are being written based on new tax law. The majority of the changes will come in your 2018 and 2019 taxes.. For any questions, contact Jay Toland,
Magnet Showcase may be postponed due to the weather. Stay tuned. (Scheduled now for Jan 30)
Stay tuned for the status of our Instructional Day planned for January 25/26th.
Our Awards Program is scheduled for February 8th. Mrs. Spencer will oversee the program. There are a few updates and more awards that will be given. More info. coming.
Tutoring Update: Tentative Schedule below. Waiting for feedback from teachers. As of now, use the EOG prep resources we have until we decide as a school what to purchase. Start date may be altered.
Pepsi/Mountain Due SHMS Fundraiser coming soon.
On Thursday, the Basketball team will play Carver at the Scotland High School, 5:20pm. It will be a RED OUT! Wear all red to show your support for our Spartans! Let's stack the bleachers.
Reminder, don't forget to turn in your benchmark reward sheet to Mrs. Lewis.
- Donuts for Dads has been rescheduled from Friday, February 2 to Monday, February 5.
- View this week's SIT minutes here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WuLyFjz7X0wSu_I9GOOPBz8XlTF_VT2i4bAibiCi29k/edit?usp=sharing
- SCS Exceptional Children's newsletter: https://www.smore.com/q4f1v
The January 2018 CTE Newsletter is now available - https://www.smore.com/7bps0
Instructional Technology newsletter: https://www.smore.com/k9pj2
Utilizing your Canvas course container is an effective way to continue instruction during school closing or delays. If they have questions or need guidance, please direct them to either Kevin Combs or Candice Freeman for assistance.
District SchoolNet info: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17CzUXRzGtRPYM62rST565r4pXGr_SSjty6BL_Dwb5og/edit
- SIT decided that there will be NO more meetings of the 1st semester clubs.
- Evaluations of 1st semester clubs will take place in homeroom. Complete evaluation sheets and return to Brayboy by Wednesday, January 24.
- 2nd semesters homeroom rosters need to be verified by Friday, January 26.
- There will be NO clubs on Friday, January 26 due to instructional planning for core teachers.
- The first meeting of 2nd semester clubs will be held on Friday, February 2.
- 2nd semester club meetings: February 2, February 9, February 16, March 2, March 9, April 13, April 20.
- We are still looking for %100 participation in the Sunshine Committee! There is still time to pay your dues of $20.
- Please keep Carrie Macy in your thoughts and prayers, as she had surgery this week.
- Shout out to the SIT for completing the mid-year MTSS SAMs and updating the NCStart goals.
- Shout out to Audrey Kingston for making sure our new students have their PBIS badges.
- Shout out to Mrs. Snell for meeting with several of our new students who are struggling to transition to a new school.
- Shout out HOSA students and Xaviera McRae for volunteering with the Friendly Dental Van.
- Please wish our Robotics team good luck! They will be competing in Greensboro this weekend for the State Championship.
- IMPORTANT- Classroom and EC Teachers...There will be EVAAS training at our upcoming Instructional Planning Days (January 25/26). Please ensure you know your username and password before then. Go to evaas.sas.com to login. If you need access, let Mrs. Lewis know ASAP.
- Don't forget! All Certified Staff- Public School Works courses are DUE January 31. These are REQUIRED!
- A few changes have been made to 2nd Semester Elective Schedules for a few students. Letters will go home to their parents.
- Spartan Time Update: At this time, I-Ready will not be approved. Looking for another resource. Spartan Time schedules should be submitted by the end of the day, Wednesday (1/17/18) A template will be shared. Postponed Start Date to Feb 5th due to 2nd nine weeks extension.
- February 2nd!!!! – Two Learning Focused Micro PDs are due on this date…Activating Strategies and Vocabulary. These must be completed before the deadline.
- From Cabinet- just a reminder that your teachers should be entering their own absences in AESOP. The school bookkeeper or no other staff should be putting in absences for anyone unless there is an emergency that arises.
- Teachers, please look at your grades for the 2nd Nine Weeks. Do you have a lot of student failures? Are you giving students opportunities to retake tests, as written in the district policy? Large number of failures may indicate we need to reflect. This should be corrected for 2nd Nine Weeks.
- Core Teachers: Please make sure you share past benchmark performance with students and have them make goals for the upcoming benchmark. Mark your calendars...January 24 Benchmark Reward. Please announce to students.
- REMINDER: Magnet Teachers - There will be a Magnet Showcase on January 30th at 6:30pm. Each teacher should have at least 2 PBLs to Showcase. Embedded technology would be a plus.
- Do you have paper on your door or covering your door window? If so, please remove due to fire code violations.
- (From Cabinet) ATTENDANCE - Staff attendance has dropped each month. I appreciate the fact that you are making doctor's visits after school and making instructional time a priority. Let's look for an increase in January and February!
***IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
The school and district expectation is that teachers enter grades in PowerSchool on a weekly basis. Parents, guardians, and student use the Parent/Student Portal to check grades and should be able to see their up-to-date progress. Your data manager can print a report for you to monitor this.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
Saturday, January 20 – Robotics Competition
Monday, January 22- Regular school day- weather makeup (previous Optional Workday); Benchmark makeups
Tuesday, January 23 - Grade Level Meetings; Benchmark makeups
Wednesday, January 24 – Wrestling @ the Highlands; End of 2nd 9 Weeks; Student Support Services Meeting @9:30pm;
Thursday, January 25 – Basketball vs. Carver @ Scotland High School (RED OUT – Students wear RED); AR Celebration (Movie); Instructional Planning Day (Core and EC only); ELA/SS Planning Days with Carver @ SHS
Friday, January 26 – 1st Day of 2nd Semester Clubs; Instructional Planning Day (Core and EC only); Grade verification's reports are due to L. Gibson by 12:00 noon * The first page of the verification report is to be signed and dated; Math/Science Planning Days with Carver @ SHS
Monday, January 29 – Basketball vs. Rockingham (A); Grades will be stored by 10:00 a.m. * No changes can be made to grades after grades have been stored
Tuesday, January 30 – AIG Magnet Showcase 6:30pm (Required for Students); Report Cards will be printed (morning)
Wednesday, January 31 – Wrestling (H) at Spring Hill; All Certified Staff - Public School Works DUE (REQUIRED); Report Cards are to be sent home; Basketball @ Ellerbe
Thursday, February 1 - Basketball @ Hamlet
Friday, February 2- First meeting of 2nd semester clubs; PBIS Event
Saturday, February 3 - All-District Band Auditions (Mac Williams Middle School)
Monday, February 5- Donuts for Dads (rescheduled from February 2); Basketball (H) vs. West Hoke
Wednesday, February 7 - Student Support Services Meeting @ 9:30am; Elective House Meeting @ 12:30pm; Basketball (H) vs. East Hoke (Homecoming Game)
Thursday, February 8- 8th Grade Field Trip to Fayettteville, NC
Friday, February 9 - Awards Ceremony (Morning Assembly Schedule); Clubs