simple and complex carbohydrates
what are carbs?
carbs are one of the main types of nutrients. They are the most important source of energy for your body.Your digestive system changes carbohydrates into glucose (glucose is blood sugar). Your body uses this sugar for energy for your cells, tissues and organs giving you enengy
5 reasons why carbs are the most essential nutrient
- Starches and sugars are the main energy-providing carbohydrate sources
- The human body uses carbohydrates in the form of glucose. Glucose can be converted to glycogen, a polysaccharide similar to starch, which is stored in the liver and the muscles and is a readily available source of energy
- The body is unable to digest dietary fibre and some oligosaccharides in the small intestine. Fibre helps to ensure good gut function
- Foods containing fermentable carbohydrates (e.g. sugars or starch) can be broken down by the enzymes and bacteria in the mouth to produce acid which attacks the enamel of the teeth. After an acid challenge, saliva provides a natural repair process which dilutes and neutralises the acid
- There is now substantial evidence that carbohydrates can improve the performance of athletes.
function of a carb
the function of a carbohydrate in the body includes providing energy for working muscles, providing fuel for the central nervous system, enabling fat metabolism, and preventing protein from being used as energy.Carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy or fuel for muscle contraction and biologic work.