2020-21 School Year Re-Opening Plan
August 5, 2020
To inspire students to live faith-filled lives
and to be, like St. John the Baptist,
heralds of God's love in the world
We have been in consultation with local public and Catholic school administrators. We must recognize that things can and will change, and they may change dramatically at the last moment.
School Will Resume In Person Thursday, September 3, 2020
Students will return with specific restrictions pertaining to health & safety.
These are the basic rationales for delaying the start of school:
1. This will provide us with additional time to assess the current state of the pandemic.
2. This will give us the time to know and understand what other schools, in particular NWLSD, are going to do. (We have already seen Cincinnati Public dramatically change their plan).
3. This will give us time to provide the professional development needed for our faculty and staff. We already have three full days scheduled.
4. This will give us time to receive, prepare and set up training for the use of our new computers for students and parents.
Distance Learning on Wednesdays
These are the basic rationales for the Distance Learning Day:
1. Students and teachers will be able to continue to understand, develop and utilize the Distance Learning skills in the event of a decision to not have in person classes.
2. Given the social and emotional stress of returning to school, students and adults will need a day without masks or the other restrictions of in person school.
3. Wednesdays will provide our facilities staff with additional time to do a deeper level of cleaning and disinfecting.
4. In the event of an identification of any infections, we will never have more than a two-day delay in being able to respond.
Academics and Instruction
* All teachers will be utilizing Google Classroom in some integrated form.
* Information and training on Google Classroom will be made available to all parents.
* ZOOM meetings may be used as needed.
All adults will be required to wear a mask when within six feet of students or other adults. Face shields may be used by teachers for clarity of instruction when they are socially distanced from students.
School specific Blue Jay masks will be available for purchase for $7.00 each. Add a monogram for $1.00. Please visit the school website (Parent Tab/Spiritwear) to view photos of various mask options and ordering details. http://stjohnsdrschool.org
In addition, parents are required to take their child's temperature before they send them to school. Any student with a temperature of 100 degrees or more MUST stay home.
Anyone showing signs of COVID-19 will be required to remain home for two weeks.
* Recess and PE will be highly structured for social distancing.
* Social distancing will be expected and enforced wherever possible.
* Whenever possible, teachers will be moving to students rather than students moving.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
* New technology air filtration systems are being purchased for all air conditioning units which will filter out all forms of microbes and particles in the air.
*Consistent, daily, and thorough cleaning and disinfecting will take place.
* Hand sanitizers will be available in each classroom.
* Students may bring disinfectant wipes to use at their desks.
* Students will be instructed in specific hand washing, surface cleaning and sanitizing procedures.
* The availability of buses may be limited
* Student bus behavior will be strictly monitored
* Students will be required to wear masks on the bus
* Students will be in required seats based upon when they are picked up/dropped off