Second Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Barita, Mrs. Carrasco, Mrs. Kulesza
No School for students Monday & Tuesday Wednesday is "Day 2" for Encore
Lifework-November 2-6, 2015
- Monday: Read & log 10 minutes
- Tuesday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words- Rainbow Style-3 colors
- Wednesday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words- ABC order
- Thursday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words-Write each word 3 times-test tomorrow
- Weekend: Read 10 minutes each night
2nd Quarter Spelling Words
Second quarter word lists will include words that follow a spelling/phonics rule. The students will have 12 "must know" words and 4 “challenge” words for a total of 16 words each week. The challenge words will be noted with an asterisk each week.
Students can earn a satisfactory “S” grade without memorizing the 4 challenge words as long as 12 words are spelled correctly. They will need to learn the challenge words to earn an S+.
Spelling Words -test 11/6/15
Closed Syllable Patterns
- 10/31-Blue Jay 5K/Hero Mile
- 11/2-11/3-No School-Teacher Work Day and P/T Conferences
- 11/9-PTO Meeting @ 7:00p.m.
- 11/10-Bedtime Story Night @ 7:00p.m.
- 11/11-No School-Holiday
- 11/19-Music Concert @ 7:00p.m.
Our current unit of study in science is Adaptations. Key concepts:
- Effects of weather on plants and animals
- Migration, hibernation, camouflage, dormancy
Our next unit in math will be Number Sense & Computation Part 2. We will continue practicing basic addition and subtraction and will use the 4-step plan (UPSC). Other concepts will include:
- Rounding to the nearest 10
- Place value
- Comparing numbers using the words (greater than, less than, equal to) and symbols (< > =)
- Related facts/fact families
What: Grade 1-2 music concert. This concert series will be in honor of our fallen PWC police officers.
When: November 19, 2015. Grade 1 begins singing at 7:00pm. Grade 2 begins at 7:30pm. Second graders should meet their teachers in the classroom between 6:50-7:00p.m. If you arrive early, students must stay with you in the dining hall until 6:50p.m. This is a special night and we encourage all family members to come. Siblings must stay with parents.
Attire: Students may wear their nicest school uniform or a fancy outfit-no play clothes! Please avoid high heels as they can be dangerous while on the chorus riser steps.
Songs: The concert songs are posted on the ES MUSIC schoolfusion web page. You are welcome to download these recordings for the children to practice at home.