The Grass Valley WAG
Week at a Glance - Family Edition: 1/13 - 1/17
The Grass Valley Way!
1/13: Staff Meeting
- 1/16: ILT
- 1/17: Oratorical Contest (GV)
- 1/20: No School
- 1/22: SELLS
- 1/24: Coffee with the Principal
- 1/27: Committee Meetings
- 1/28: Earthquake/Fire Drill
- 1/29: SSC Meeting
- 1/30: Student of the Month
- 1/30: ILT
- 1/31: PD Day (No School for Students)
- Healthy Foods at Grass Valley As per the OUSD Healthy Foods guide lines and our conversations at Back to School Night, remember that unhealthy foods, like soda, hot chips, and candy are NOT allowed at Grass Valley. Please be sure not to send them with your student.
- Pick up and Drop off When picking up/dropping off your student on Dunkirk, please drop them off quickly and do NOT make a U turn, instead go around the block. Traffic needs to flow quickly to assure student and driver safety.
- Cell Phone Policy Students who bring cell phones to school, must turn them off and leave them in their back pack. If cell phones are found in use at school, students will receive a warning the first time. If a student has a cell phone out again, it will be confiscated by the adult and held in the office until the parent can pick it up.
School Site Council (SSC) Meetings
Grass Valley Elementary School
Wednesday, January 29, 2019
What's happening at the JANUARY meeting?
We will begin discussing priorities for our school budget for next year! Please bring you thoughts and suggestions for how to best spend our money to support our learners next year.
What is SSC?
SSC members and attendees work together with the Principal to make determinations about how we will use our budget. The Council regularly reviews site wide data and determines priorities to support our continued growth.
Everyone is highly encouraged to attend!
Site English Language Learner Subcommittee (SELLS)
Grass Valley Elementary School
Wednesday, January 22, 2019
What is SELLS?
SELLS is a subcommittee of the SSC dedicated to discussing issues pertaining to students who are English Learners.
All families with students who are English Learners are highly encouraged to attend!
Self Regulating with Toolbox!
We are excited to begin using Toolbox at Grass Valley! Toolbox is a social-emotional learning curriculum that supports students in building concrete skills to help them self-regulate when escalated.
January Focus: Breathing Tool.
Icon: Tape Measure - "the action of pulling and pushing a measuring tape in and out of its case can be a good way to think about slow, deliberate Breathing...it can help students slow down and self-regulate when they use the Breathing Tool."
Hand Gesture: touch thumbs and index fingers together in front of you as if holding a tape measure; slowly pull hands apart while taking a breath. On exhale, bring hands slowly back together.
Questions to support student reflection:
- How are you feeling?
- What are you thinking?
- How do we then act/feel toward ourselves?
- How might we feel/react toward others?
- How can taking a slow deep breath help you when you are struggling?
Support your Eagle in showing Grass Valley Way!
Grass Valley Way
- Be Safe
- Be Respectful
- Be Responsible
Weekly Focus: Being RESPONSIBLE by SOLVING PROBLEMS FOR MYSELF
- "I don't like it when you _________"
- "It makes me feel _______"
- "Please stop _______"
A bit about Ms. Beckner...
I feel so excited and honored to have the opportunity to lead as a member of the Grass Valley staff! This is such a vibrant and tight knit community and I look forward to continuing to get to know the many facets of it. As you get to know me, you will learn that I am very transparent, so please reach out with questions and communicate your needs, so that I can do everything in my control to support you in meeting the needs of the incredible young people we serve.